C

Cr122

Cowboys lost their offensive line depth when Flozell departed

Posted Monday, Aug. 16, 2010

By Randy Galloway

rgalloway@ star-telegram.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- Jerry Jones appeared to be caught in a perfect told-you-so trap but he was also wise to the scheme and immediately went into damage control here Monday.

Consider these offensive tackle names: Marc Colombo, Doug Free and the dearly departed Flozell Adams.

"Are you asking me, Flo or Free?" said Jones, even though the question had not been asked. Then Jerry continued, "I love Flozell. I really do. He will always be a Cowboy to me.

"But Flo or Free? We are better off with Free. Our team is better with Free."

OK, but even if that's true (the truth is yet to come), it doesn't exactly cover the current troublesome -- if not critical -- situation in the Cowboys' offensive line after a knee injury on Sunday took down right tackle Colombo.

Following a scope surgery process on Monday, Colombo could be out up to four weeks, but Jerry also "guaranteed" he will be ready to play for the season opener in Washington.

Yet, with an aging offensive line (except for Free), the question still lingers about health over a 16-game regular season. Plus, Colombo had all that down-time a year ago due to a broken leg.

It's about depth up front. Once Adams and his salary were released, the depth diminished, and, no, there's no solid reason to count newcomer Alex Barron as much in the way of veteran depth.

Free, agreed, was a huge find last season in replacing the injured Colombo at right tackle. "Right now, Doug Free, I'd say, has been one of the top three stars of this training camp," added Jones.

But after the surprise roster dumping of Adams in April, and me being among those who wrote it as a mistake, particularly for a legitimate Super Bowl contending club, I couldn't resist a told-you-so on Monday, even if Jerry was anticipating the response.

At least Jerry and I agree on this:

"Look, if you want to worry about something right now, it's not the offense and what's not happening in the red zone, it's instead the injury situation in our line," said Jones. "Worry about injuries."

And he's also right on this:

"Everyone wants the luxury of a veteran offensive line, but with that, you have to take the chance on age getting hurt. It's kind of a trade off."

Then again, do we all disagree with Jerry on this?

Jones: "Our age in the offensive line doesn't worry me for this season. "Two or three years, yeah, we will have to do something. But now, I'm fine with it."

Still, when Adams was released, Jerry was juggling dynamite with depth. Flozell certainly didn't grade out last season as the poorest offensive lineman. One independent film watcher had him as the second most consistent linemen, behind only guard Kyle Kosier.

Free replacing Flo at left tackle was somewhat of a gamble that is paying off at least in the early returns.

But without Flo, the depth almost died.

Barron was picked up from the Rams in the off-season, but although he was a starter, St. Louis fans are still chuckling that the Cowboys, a good team, actually wanted him.

Barron, however, was injured in the first exhibition game, missed the second and is doubtful for the third on Saturday night in San Diego.

Who knows on Barron. But right now, if Tony Romo is in for two series, maybe three, in San Diego, one of his starting tackles will be Robert Brewster or rookie Sam Young. Ugh.

If anything "the young guy" depth at tackle is considered no factor, at least for the coming season.

The O-line struggled badly with protection issues on Thursday night against the Raiders, and that was both starters and backups.

Then in a full-blown scrimmage situation out here on Sunday afternoon (about as full blown as it gets in the training camps of this era) the overall offense was miserable, from Tony Romo, to Miles Austin, to the offensive line.

At least Romo had somewhat of an excuse. After that practice it was obvious he was suffering from the flu bug but stayed on the field anyway.

While the April release of Flozell was a surprise and a second-guess picnic, his absence presents the plus/minus situation of dumping age and salary but creating depth questions.

In this camp on Monday I also heard this question from several Cowboys staffers: Did you see the Pittsburgh game Saturday night?

No, I didn't. But Flozell, of course, now plays for the Steelers, who are working him on the right side. Apparently, the position change is not going well.

"Sad," was the observation. "Flo really struggled."

I will take their word for it, but after the Colombo injury, a veteran tackle who knows the ropes would certainly be more than welcome in the Cowboys camp.

Randy Galloway can be heard 3-6 p.m. weekdays on Galloway and Co. on ESPN/103.3 FM.

Randy Galloway,

817-390-7697

Reaction score
When the season starts, the players will be the following

Free - 26
Kosier - 31
Gurode - 32
Davis - 31
Columbo - 31

Barron - 28

Average age (starters): 30.2

I don't think age is a concern going into this season, especially considering most starting offensive lineman can play well into their mid-thirties without experiencing significant drop off in play.

C

Cr122

When the season starts, the players will be the following

Free - 26
Kosier - 31
Gurode - 32
Davis - 31
Columbo - 31

Barron - 28

Average age (starters): 30.2

I don't think age is a concern going into this season, especially considering most starting offensive lineman can play well into their mid-thirties without experiencing significant drop off in play.

My personal opinion is around the age of 34, that's when they seem to drop off.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Flozell is shot. Even as a back-up, he would have been a determent given his salary and his taking of a roster spot.

C

Cr122

Flozell is shot. Even as a back-up, he would have been a determent given his salary and his taking of a roster spot.

Yeah, that's probably why Pittsburgh got desperate and signed him to play right tackle.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
As much as fans don't want to let go of players, because they never "see" the decline coming, the fact is that they do.

There's the other thread where the discussion centered around Jerry's ability as a GM. I think the greatest lesson he learned was to let go of the older player. I credit Bill Parcels for instilling that, because before Bill came along this team was paying that one last huge contract to guys like Larry Allen, Troy, Deion and others.

This team has done much better as of late letting the older player walk.

Reaction score
As much as fans don't want to let go of players, because they never "see" the decline coming, the fact is that they do.

There's the other thread where the discussion centered around Jerry's ability as a GM. I think the greatest lesson he learned was to let go of the older player. I credit Bill Parcels for instilling that, because before Bill came along this team was paying that one last huge contract to guys like Larry Allen, Troy, Deion and others.

Agreed.

That is what some people fail to grasp. Jerry has learned from people (as all coaches and GM's have), and as such, he's evolved into a quality GM.

The Cowboys are one of the better run franchises in the league.

C

Cr122

I agree with this.

Jerry has been better, thanks to Bills input.

sbk92

Reaction score
Why can't you count Alex Barron as veteran depth?

Jesus Christ. He plays poorly in a preseason game and suddenly he's not even a backup with experience.

sbk92

Reaction score

You can credit Parcells for contending today too. Without him we are the same joke of the league as we were before he arrived.

Top Bottom