Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys owner shouldn’t give Jason Garrett free pass after going 4-9

Highlights
Garrett was hired to run the offense, yet scoring ranks 31st

It would be unlike Owner Jones to shoulder all the blame

The seven-game losing streak may come back to haunt him

By Gil LeBreton
glebreton@star-telegram.com

My favorite Jason Garrett story actually involves his dad.

Jim Garrett, now 85 years young, was a scout for the Dallas Cowboys for 17 years. But before that he was a coach — sometimes a college head coach — for more than 25 seasons.

The elder Garrett was an assistant in 1977 on Hank Stram’s Saints staff at New Orleans.

A new Star Wars hits the movie screens Friday, and the Garrett family is still coming to grips with the reality.

The Saints trained in those days at the storied Dodgertown complex in Vero Beach, Fla., where entertainment options, shall we say, were limited. There was no Bourbon Street in Vero Beach.

One night the beat writers and assistant PR guy, the great Greg Suit, were driving back to the complex when we noticed two sets of startlingly white legs, draped in plaid Bermuda shorts, walking on the side of the two-lane beach road.

It was Garrett and fellow assistant coach Sam Rutigliano. They had been at a movie. We pulled over and squeezed them into our rental car.

“How was the movie?” someone asked.

“Terrible,” Rutigliano said.

“Awful,” Garrett concurred. “Totally unrealistic.”

The movie they had seen?

Star Wars. The original.

The world is, indeed, a flat circle, just as Matthew McConaughey said. A new Star Wars hits the movie screens today, and the Garrett family is still coming to grips with the reality.

True, injury excuses abound. But the seven-game losing streak and the glaring fallibility of the NFC East only serve to underscore the team’s disappointing performance.

In this case, the realities of a 4-9 season and, quite likely, no playoffs. As head coach of the Cowboys, Jason Garrett should be aghast at the ledger of his team in the absence of Tony Romo.

True, injury excuses abound. But the seven-game losing streak and the glaring fallibility of the NFC East only serve to underscore the team’s disappointing performance.

Somebody will lose their job over this. Owner Jones has hinted as much.

Offensive line assistant Frank Pollack seemingly is being set up to be one of the fall guys. But is Garrett himself really safe? And if so, why?

In a story on these pages Thursday, colleague Clarence Hill deftly laid out the bleak statistical realities of the Cowboys’ “struggling, punchless offense” —31st in the league in touchdowns.

As an NFL writer from elsewhere in the NFC East asked me last weekend, how did this happen?

“I thought Garrett’s thing was supposed to be offense,” the writer said.

Me, too. That was why Jerry Jones thrust him upon Wade Phillips as a high-paid assistant in 2007. That was why Jones found it easy to promote him when Wade started the 2010 season 1-7.

Four years later, however, Owner Jones saw fit to hire Scott Linehan to call the plays as offensive coordinator, freeing Garrett to work on his sideline head coaching demeanor.

In Garrett’s defense, the Cowboys have played hard throughout this 2015 debacle, which probably isn’t easy when your predicted contender is laying a 4-9 egg.

And how has all that worked out?

In Garrett’s defense, the Cowboys have played hard throughout this 2015 debacle, which probably isn’t easy when your predicted contender is laying a 4-9 egg.

But all mea culpas from Jones to the contrary, it would be uncharacteristic of Jerry to let the blame fall upon him. This, remember, is the owner who was so stubborn, he hired Barry Switzer.

In New Orleans these days, there are whispered suggestions that head coach Sean Payton would be accommodated if he wants out. Payton has denied any such plans.

But if, at age 73, Owner Jones wants a quick fix, who should he trust in, a Super Bowl-winning coach, or the one who couldn’t win the worst division in football?

The buyout on Garrett’s remaining contract would likely be hefty. But when a Super Bowl and a 73-year-old owner are concerned, it’s only money.

In the end, every head coach — except for one — that Owner Jones has ever dismissed was fired for not winning enough.

That should be the reality of Jason Garrett’s situation as well.

May the Force be with you, coach. You might need it.

Gil LeBreton: 817-390-7697, glebreton@

Read more here: Dallas Cowboys owner shouldn’t give Jason Garrett free pass after going 4-9 | The Star-Telegram

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Reads article.

Sees negative opinion on team, owner, or coach.

States writer is a hack and part of the evil media.

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Really though, that Rams/Bucs game last night for some reason jumped out at me as to how bad we've been. The Rams were a 5-8 team so a pretty crappy team, especially on offense. And yet spare boy Case Keenum looked like Joe Montana compared to Cassel. Keenum at least moved with some quickness and got the ball out of his hand quickly. Cassel looks like he's playing in mud in comparison. How could they have screwed this up so badly?

And by they I of course mean Garrett.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Because I like hurting myself, I watched a few seconds of the last Garrett PC. First and only two comments on the DC.com website:

JimmyJohnson93
Today, 06:14 AM
Can you believe this sorry S.O.B is standing there with a big stupid grin on his face. I wonder how Jerry feels about paying him now?
gotthebeat
Yesterday, 10:51 PM
"How we doing guys?" with a big grin. How can you smile when your team is in the basement?

:towel

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Who is this Lebreton clown and what rock has he been hiding under? Garrett got a free pass the day he was hired to do things he had no experience doing. And what exactly would changing things around look like this time? Fill Garretts shoes with another former Cowboy assistant/player who’d be more than thrilled to get filthy rich off of this old mans gullibility? The stadium janitor could convince Jerry that he's his ace in the hole. Just think of the story line!

Reaction score
Just watched The Great Wall of Dallas on NFL Network. In the Super Bowl against the Bills where Dallas was losing 13-6 at halftime, Emmitt Smith was talking about the play calling - that the first play that was called was a power run, and then a power run, and then a power run and then a power run. The plays were working and they stuck with them. That had to be all Jimmy because Norv even starts throwing once there are one or two successful runs. Jason will start throwing on second and three. But the worst was Jason's portion of the interview where he was agreeing with how important the play calling of four runs in a row was. Such an idiot. He will gladly stand with the great coaches, and the great players but he has and had no capacity to be other one.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Just watched The Great Wall of Dallas on NFL Network. In the Super Bowl against the Bills where Dallas was losing 13-6 at halftime, Emmitt Smith was talking about the play calling - that the first play that was called was a power run, and then a power run, and then a power run and then a power run. The plays were working and they stuck with them. That had to be all Jimmy because Norv even starts throwing once there are one or two successful runs. .

Did Norv do your girl or something?

He was fucking awesome here in Dallas.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I thought he was criticizing more Garrett's incredible ability to sucker on to and associate himself with someone else's success.

Reaction score
Did Norv do your girl or something?

He was fucking awesome here in Dallas.

Norv with a strong HC is very good. Norv with strong talent is good. Dallas had both. Norv unchecked and functioning solely on the Coryell theory begins to erode and repeat (see Cleveland, SF, Washington, and SD in his last three years where he started with multiple dominant players from Schottenehimer in first three years and ended with none in his last years). By the way, according to Jason, Norv was called to endorse Weeden and Cassel.

Reaction score
see bolded comment

Wait a minute. I don't particular care for Norv but I was just pointing out that even the Jedi of all Air Coryell would have a tough time not calling at least one pass play in four runs. It's a staple of the scheme.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Just watched The Great Wall of Dallas on NFL Network. In the Super Bowl against the Bills where Dallas was losing 13-6 at halftime, Emmitt Smith was talking about the play calling - that the first play that was called was a power run, and then a power run, and then a power run and then a power run. The plays were working and they stuck with them. That had to be all Jimmy because Norv even starts throwing once there are one or two successful runs. Jason will start throwing on second and three. But the worst was Jason's portion of the interview where he was agreeing with how important the play calling of four runs in a row was. Such an idiot. He will gladly stand with the great coaches, and the great players but he has and had no capacity to be other one.

Entire plan for that game was to rope a dope them then beat them down in the 2nd half. You're right that Jimmy was calling the shots as far as strategy goes. Plan was for bludgeon ball the 2nd half.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Last year against the Redskins in OT. Murray ran for 8 yard. Making it 2nd and 2. What does Garrett do? Call a pass.

Incomplete. 3rd and 2.

Call a pass again. Incomplete. 4th and 2.

Call a pass again. Incomplete. Game over.

Cowboys lose chance to have the #1 seed.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wait a minute. I don't particular care for Norv but I was just pointing out that even the Jedi of all Air Coryell would have a tough time not calling at least one pass play in four runs. It's a staple of the scheme.

I really don't even know how to respond to this kind of stuff anymore.

Are you trying to say a team should run the ball 50 times in a row or something?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Entire plan for that game was to rope a dope them then beat them down in the 2nd half. You're right that Jimmy was calling the shots as far as strategy goes. Plan was for bludgeon ball the 2nd half.

You stooges realize that part of the "problem" that game for awhile is Aikman was playing 7 days after a MAJOR concussion right? He didn't even remember most of the Niners game from the week before (there was not a two week break that yr from Conf Champ game to Super Bowl)

Aikman probably would have been shut down for 2-3 weeks under todays protocol after that concussion, which some said was by far the worst of his career. It happened at the start of the 2nd half of the Niners NFC Champ game when we were already up 28-7, a game which Aikman nearly pitched a perfect game.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Last year against the Redskins in OT. Murray ran for 8 yard. Making it 2nd and 2. What does Garrett do? Call a pass.

Incomplete. 3rd and 2.

Call a pass again. Incomplete. 4th and 2.

Call a pass again. Incomplete. Game over.

Cowboys lose chance to have the #1 seed.

Time to move on dude, this is way in the past.

Top Bottom