bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
FWST: Are the Cowboys losing an entire generation of fans?

Posted Tuesday, May. 29, 2012
Star-Telegram

News that fans chose the Cowboys as their favorite of all 32 NFL teams in a recent ESPN poll sparked a robust debate between our Randy Galloway and Cowboys editor David Humphrey, sitting in for Mac Engel.

Sure, this is a football town. But are the Cowboys losing an entire generation of fans born AFTER the glory days? Mr. Randy thinks that's exactly what's happening. Better get on the ball, Jerry.

Here are excerpts from this week's show:

Galloway: What the Cowboys have is a fringe audience out there that kind of goes back to Tex (Schramm) and Tom (Landry) and a lot of other people. But here's where I think the difference is happening. Right now, Cowboys are king and they're going to stay kind for a while.

But the Rangers are winning, are already have won, the hearts, minds and souls of those kids from kindergarten to high school.

The Cowboys are losing a younger generation. David, there are kids who went from kindergarten and are graduating this year -- that's 13 years of ... schooling -- and they've seen the Cowboys win one playoff game.

Humphrey: That's exactly right.

Galloway: And now what you're seeing is the Rangers (winning). You saw the Mavericks win a world championship. As I've been told by a multitude of teachers, in their classroom, when they were growing up, the teachers, kids wore Cowboy gear. You don't see Cowboy gear out there.

I will say this, the Cowboys are losing -- not that they can't get it back; win a Super Bowl ... -- but right now, the Cowboys are losing the younger generation. That's age 5, I'd say all the way up to 18.

Humphrey: But what the Cowboys have is generational teaching. Grandpa watched them. Dad watched them, and they're passing that along through the household. I have an 8-year-old daughter. She loves football. Loves the Cowboys. But you're right: She has a lot of Ranger gear. You're right about that.

As long as you know who they are, when they win a (playoff) game, you jump on the bandwagon. And there are seats available. But they fill up fast.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We definitely aren't picking up the fans like we were in the 90's. It's a big reason I'm a fan, even though the first thing I ever remember getting for Christmas was a Cowboys uniform and that was back in '85 or '86. This team is just frustratiing as hell with Jerry running things.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It's true. The Rangers are huge. I see far more Rangers t-shirts and hats than I do Cowboys gear.

That could all change if the football team starts winning a bunch of playoff games, though.

Reaction score
Becoming less popular isn't the worst thing. Dwindling merchandise and ticket sales get Jerry's attention.

Some say Jerry hired Parcells because Jerry wanted the stadium built.

I think that at that moment, deep down, Jerry knew that he didn't know what he was doing with his franchise and Jerry was so desperate that he paid Parcells big money to try to bail the team out.

Reaction score
Becoming less popular isn't the worst thing. Dwindling merchandise and ticket sales get Jerry's attention.

Jerry say Jerry hired Parcells because Jerry wanted the stadium built.

I think that at that moment, deep down, Jerry knew that he didn't know what he was doing with his franchise and Jerry was so desperate that he paid Parcells big money to try to bail the team out.

Fixed

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's the only thing that will get his attention.

Yep, he admited that when he was drunk on camera that time.

And he reverted back to his old ways after Parcells left. The man's an idiot.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Overblown. Dallas fans are a captive audience who have nowhere else to go. You think Metroplex fans will be watching reruns of Rangers games in November instead of the Cowboys?

Reaction score
Wgaf about the rangers or hockey? They have no bearing on the cowboys. Baseball and football are going in different directions quickly

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
went to the ballpark last friday.

What I saw is what I see at cowboys games, lots of women and lots of people staring at the video board and losing track of the actual game.

tons of women in josh hamilton shirts, when he comes up to hit the place goes nuts, everytime and its the front running women who are driving this.

just like they do with the romo jerseys and cheering for the offense.

When the rangers success dips in a few years those types of people will not be found at the ballpark again, just like they have been sparse at cowboys stadium the last two seasons.

Cythim

Reaction score
It's true. The Rangers are huge. I see far more Rangers t-shirts and hats than I do Cowboys gear.

That could all change if the football team starts winning a bunch of playoff games, though.

I think he knows what Dallas is. Dallas is the mob. Conjure wins for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their money and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Dallas is not the trophies of the past, it's the standings of today. Whoever brings them to the playoffs will be loved for it.

Dallas is a fair weather city. No one gave a shit about the Mavs or Rangers until they started making it into the playoffs. I remember going to a Rangers game 10 years ago and the ballpark was empty. Dallas only cares if you are winning.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
U just described every city to be honest.

I remember going to Yankee stadium in the early 90s and Fenway and it was mostly empty and no one cared.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score

Jersey Sales May 2012

1. Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos
2. Tim Tebow, New York Jets
3. Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins
4. Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts
5. Eli Manning, New York Giants
6. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
7. Patrick Willis, San Francisco 49ers
8. Tom Brady, New England Patriots
9. Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers
10. Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers
11. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys`
12. Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
13. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
14. Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots
15. Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions
16. Clay Matthews, Green Bay Packers
17. Brian Urlacher, Chicago Bears
18. Victor Cruz, New York Giants
19. DeMarcus Ware, Dallas Cowboys
20. Darren McFadden, Oakland Raiders
21. Von Miller, Denver Broncos
22. Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys
23. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers
24. Wes Welker, New England Patriots
25. Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles

Giants won the NFC East and Superbowl 2 in top 25 have appeared in 2 of the last 5 Superbowls and won!
Eagles come in 2nd in NFC East 1 in top 25 and he's #25
Cowboys 3rd place in NFC East go 8 and 8 and fall over themselves to not win the division or get into the playoffs. 3 in top 25
Redskins 4th place in NFC East 1 in top 25 and he wasn't even on the team til a month ago

Pattys lost Superbowl and go to the playoffs just about every stinking year the last 10 years and have been in 5 of the last 10 Superbowls. 3 in top 25.

I'd not count on dwindling anything anytime soon my friend. Maybe another half century and we will see something like that, but not now.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think he knows what Dallas is. Dallas is the mob. Conjure wins for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their money and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Dallas is not the trophies of the past, it's the standings of today. Whoever brings them to the playoffs will be loved for it.

Dallas is a fair weather city. No one gave a shit about the Mavs or Rangers until they started making it into the playoffs. I remember going to a Rangers game 10 years ago and the ballpark was empty. Dallas only cares if you are winning.
True, I remember when a couple buddies and I would say about about 6:00, let's go to a Mavs game. Then just drive up and get tickets.

But still, the Mavs and Rangers have been winning pretty big and the Cowboys haven't.

I don't know what it is, though, and maybe it's just me. But I don't remember everyone going as crazy for the Mavs as they have the Rangers.

Reaction score
(data cut)

I'd not count on dwindling anything anytime soon my friend. Maybe another half century and we will see something like that, but not now.

You supplied data from May 2012. The Cowboys didn't have anyone in the top 10.

Here's an honest question. I don't know the answer, so that's why I'm asking it -- What were the Cowboys jersey sales before May 2012? What are the trends over the past several decades? Is the Cowboys' percentage of market share dropping?

A downward trend would be consistent with "dwindling" (to become smaller and smaller).

I assume the Cowboys had more than one top 10 jersey seller in the top 10 during the early 90's, but I don't know that for sure.

Cythim

Reaction score
You supplied data from May 2012. The Cowboys didn't have anyone in the top 10.

Here's an honest question. I don't know the answer, so that's why I'm asking it -- What were the Cowboys jersey sales before May 2012? What are the trends over the past several decades? Is the Cowboys' percentage of market share dropping?

A downward trend would be consistent with "dwindling" (to become smaller and smaller).

I assume the Cowboys had more than one top 10 jersey seller in the top 10 during the early 90's, but I don't know that for sure.

I think you have to take that data with a grain of salt. The top 4 are new to the team and will be selling jerseys at a high rate. According to USA Today Romo was 9 and Austin was 10 for the 2011 season and the Cowboys were 3rd for top selling clubs.

Top Bottom