dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He's got an article up on it at FWST. I don't know if its just him adding up 2+2= Garrett gone or if he is hearing stuff from others, but he seems convinced Garrett is getting canned after the Philly game.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Texans are interviewing Lovie Smith. If he gets it... say good bye to Marinelli, unless they decide to stay with the 3-4.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jason Garrett’s days with Cowboys numbered
Posted: 12/19/2013 6:30 PM

It’s been a rough week for Jason Garrett, and at the current rate of Cowboys incompetence, the worst is yet to come for the likable head coach.

That’s correct. Likable.

Likable has nothing to do with anything, but it sure beats being a conniving back-stabber.

So give it a couple of weeks, and when Garrett is fired at Valley Ranch, be sure to remember the good stuff as he exits. Like likable.

Otherwise, meaning job-wise, Red J is doomed, and we will all be moving on shortly to Mr. Jerry’s next victim/head coach.

It’s difficult, or maybe impossible, to recover and/or survive from the back-to-back circumstances involved in the L’s to the Packers and the Bears.

There’s nothing unfair about Red J being held totally accountable for a couple of stretch-run, mangled performances by his club. It happened on his watch.

There’s also nothing unfair about Red J being severely called out for time-management issues in the loss to the Packers, but if I remember correctly, the play-calling decisions were yanked out of his hands to start the season.

Even Tony Romo has more authority in that area than the head coach.

Run it more? What if Romo doesn’t want to run it more? Mr. Jerry has much more invested in Romo than he does Garrett.

Garrett’s worst decision of the week didn’t actually come down to the run it/throw it debate.

I hated it much more when the head coach allowed himself to be caught in the Dez trap.

For leaving the field with still some 80 seconds on the clock, stomping up through the Big Yard basement-level bar, and then entering the dressing room, Dez Bryant should have been fined by the team, and given a public verbal rip by Garrett.

There is no excuse for this behavior. And all that crap about his passion, his frustration, and his going to the dressing room to “cry” is just that. Crap.

So, Dez apologized the next day. Doesn’t matter. Step up, man. At some point, stop being a child.

On the flip side, Dez should have been the most frustrated player on the team after the Green Bay loss.

The game he had was a good one. The game he could have had would have been almost historic. But that’s Romo’s fault, because Tony failed repeatedly to get the deep ball into Bryant’s hands, short-arming three bombs, and overthrowing another one.

As it was, Dez had 153 yards and a touchdown on 11 catches. If Romo wasn’t slump-infested in throwing the deep ball, Dez might have gone over 300 yards, with another couple of TDs at the minimum.

All this debate about when to run it and how to run it wouldn’t be a factor this week if Romo does what a quarterback is paid to do. Hit open receivers.

Talk about a double whammy for the head coach. Romo didn’t do his job, and then Dez punks the head coach by bolting the bench in the final seconds.

But Red J allowed him to skate. The last thing Dez needs is another skate. Big mistake by Garrett. A disappointing mistake.

Then again, there’s been a flip side this week involving Garrett.

It’s shocking to see respected media members in a hissy fit over a Garrett answer in the postgame media session Sunday.

Among others, the great Peter King of SI.com fame nationally harpooned Garrett for honestly giving an explanation about what happened on the interception Romo threw when the Cowboys had the lead with just under three minutes left in the game.

Peter called it a CYA (cover your, well, butt) answer by Garrett.

I was in the interview room, and heard the answer. Asked what happened on that play, and asked if it was a run play originally called, Garrett confirmed that, yes, a run play was called, but with an option for Romo to audible out of the play.

Most of us in the interview room suspected as much, and it was a logical question considering the severe results.

Is it OK for a coach to be honest with an answer? But Romo, who changed the play to a pass, wasn’t being singled out or called out by Garrett, even if he deserved to be.

If anything in that media session, Garrett was overly protective of Romo, as he usually is. There was a dancing answer on why Romo suddenly can’t connect on the deep ball, which, as previously discussed, was actually the major offensive problem in that game.

But Tony is now the second-most powerful person at Valley Ranch, second only to you-know-who.

With Garrett’s days as head coach now numbered, Tony and Jerry will be in charge of hiring the next head coach.

But in this final December fling, all Jason can hope for is a week better than this one. He’s likable. He deserves that.

Reaction score
I really don't see how Garrett doesn't get fired. Even if we win the division at 9-7.

But I say Go Redskins just in case.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The longest anyone's coached this team in the last 20 years is 4 years. It's just unreal how many things are wrong with this organization. It's pointless and stupid to follow it anymore.

The only reason I'm still here is because of the posters to my right and to my left. That's who I post for.

Reaction score
I wish we'd have let him keep playcalling duties but I guess everyone got what they wanted.

silver

Cheerleader
Reaction score
He's gone because there's no way we win two in a row. Not with this defense falling apart. Not with guys like Edgar Jones, Martez Wilson, Corvey Irving, Frank Kearse, Everett Brown, and Jarious Wynn seeing significant playing time on defense. Not to mention George Selvie and Nick Hayden who even though have been solid contributors were picked off the street too. Nah. Too many spare parts and not enough legit players on D.

Top Bottom