Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I just had a question as to what i should pay my buddy for furniture.

Here's the situation:

We got a bachlor pad apartment and bought an entire living room set of furniture since neither of us had much. We split the cost down the middle and it was 1200 total for a sofa, 2 recliners, a coffee table and 2 end tables.

Its exactly one year since we bought the stuff and my buddy is movin back in with his parents so i was going to keep the furniture and pay him for his half of the set.

The stuff is in relatively good condition with a few scrapes on the table and a small stain on the couch that's pretty small.

My question is what is the highest amount you would pay to him for the other half of the set?

I certainly wasn't going to give him the 600, but im not quite sure how much furniture depriciates yearly. He wanted to charge me 550, but i thought that was way too much.

If any of you could help me out here i'd appriciate it greatly. Thanks.

Cythim

Reaction score
Honestly I would just bite it and give him the $550 or maybe negotiate him down to $500.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I just had a question as to what i should pay my buddy for furniture.

Here's the situation:

We got a bachlor pad apartment and bought an entire living room set of furniture since neither of us had much. We split the cost down the middle and it was 1200 total for a sofa, 2 recliners, a coffee table and 2 end tables.

Its exactly one year since we bought the stuff and my buddy is movin back in with his parents so i was going to keep the furniture and pay him for his half of the set.

The stuff is in relatively good condition with a few scrapes on the table and a small stain on the couch that's pretty small.

My question is what is the highest amount you would pay to him for the other half of the set?

I certainly wasn't going to give him the 600, but im not quite sure how much furniture depriciates yearly. He wanted to charge me 550, but i thought that was way too much.

If any of you could help me out here i'd appriciate it greatly. Thanks.

I would offer him $250 cash, $300 at most.

Furniture is one of those things that people don't want to buy used, at least I don't know anyone that likes to buy used furniture, he'd never get the $600 out of his half.

What it really comes down to, is what would you be willing to take for your half? That is always the best bargaining chip, you can give him the ole, "Hey, I'll take $xxx.xx for them if you wanna take the stuff, or I'll take it for the same ammount."

C

Cr122

I wouldn't give him 550 because you already paid half. So 350 would be fair.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
No way would I give him more than $300. If it goes that far, advertise the shit on craigslist for $1,100.00 and see how many takers you get. my guess is none. The furniture costs $1,200 brand new. If someone was going to go buy the same stuff, why would they pay pretty much retail for something that is used?

Reaction score
I'd determine which half was his and take a shit on his half in the middle of the night.

That would decrease the value significantly.

Cythim

Reaction score
check craigslist to see what people are trying to sell your furniture for, cut that number in half and pay him that much.

C

Cr122

mindblown.gif

Cythim

Reaction score
This is why you don't split things. A friend and I were splitting an internet connection but I bought all the hardware knowing that it would be mine when we parted ways.

If you pay him $300 today but end up selling the furniture for more than $600 at a later time will you give him his fair share?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
This is why you don't split things. A friend and I were splitting an internet connection but I bought all the hardware knowing that it would be mine when we parted ways.

If you pay him $300 today but end up selling the furniture for more than $600 at a later time will you give him his fair share?

You must really value friendship.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I have a feeling that RTH and his friend are reading these comments right now and making a decision based on what we say.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Just kill him and hang his body in a meat freezer, so that you don't have to worry about paying him the money.

That's what Robert DeNiro did in Goodfellas.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
It depends on the friend, but in general I'm out to not screw friends over.

I was more less joking.

OTOH, sounds like his friend is trying to work him over for $550 bucks. Unless there's $250 in change inside the couch cushions, it's not worth $550.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Just remember, RTH, if it was me, I'd let you have the furniture.

That's what a good friend would do.

Reaction score
Think of it like this, RTH... for a year, your friend has been sitting his fat, greasy ass on that furniture. Hell, he probably wipes boogers between the couch cushions. And you can damn well be assured that he's jerked off while sitting on that stuff when you weren't around.

With that in mind, do you really think that the furniture has only depreciated $50 in a years time?

C

Cr122

Just kill him and hang his body in a meat freezer, so that you don't have to worry about paying him the money.

That's what Robert DeNiro did in Goodfellas.

Make sure you cut his finger tips and toes off too.

Oh, and knock out all of his teeth so they can't trace dental records.

No dental records and no finger prints is always a good thing.

Cythim

Reaction score
It really depends on the furniture and how long he expects to keep it around. Most furniture won't lose 50% of it's value in one year. If it loses 30% in that one year he should be paying $420 and if it only loses 20% it goes up to $480. Paying less than $400 would be robbing the guy.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I'd determine which half was his and take a shit on his half in the middle of the night.

That would decrease the value significantly.

lol

Don't pay him shit. Tell him he's evicted and since you're stuck with paying all of the rent then its only fair that you keep the couch. Done. Next?

Top Bottom