Reaction score
Jean-Jacques Taylor

FRISCO, Texas -- For the last several seasons, the Dallas Cowboys have shied away from spending big money on free agents.

That stance isn't likely to change based on the production of their two highest-priced free-agent additions this offseason.

Neither Cedric Thornton nor Benson Mayowa are in the starting lineup.

At least Thornton played Sunday against Pittsburgh. Mayowa, who signed a three-year deal worth $8.25 million in the offseason, was inactive.

Ryan Davis, signed last month, took Mayowa's spot.

Mayowa, who had two sacks in three seasons with Oakland, was supposed to be the kind of athlete who could help the Cowboys' pass rush.

It's not that Dallas viewed him as a 10-sack guy, but he was envisioned as a player who could put consistent pressure on the quarterback and be a quality member of a pass-rush rotation.

“We have nine guys and we wanted to have the eight most productive guys up there,” coach Jason Garrett said of the defensive line rotation. “We’re trying to create competitive situations in practice and competitive situations in the game to earn the right to be one of those eight guys in the game.”

It hasn't happened with Mayowa. He has two sacks and four quarterback knockdowns for a unit that could use all the help it can get.

The Cowboys entered the Pittsburgh game ranked 15th in sacks (18), 27th in pressures (41) and 29th in knockdowns (29). And they’ve drawn only four holding calls, tied for 31st in the league.

The Cowboys sacked Ben Roethlisberger only once Sunday.

“He’s working hard, but we want to see more production,” Garrett said of Mayowa. “He’s getting better and understanding the techniques we want him to play and at different times he’s done a good job of being productive, but we want him to continue showing up.

“What we do is similar to what he did in Oakland, it’s just a matter of continuing to work hard, showing up and being productive.”

Until he does, he’s going to have a hard time getting on the field.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah Broaddus actually called this a couple days before the game, said Mayowa would be inactive.

Reaction score
Moyowa being benched doesn't surprise me. He was a scrub in Oakland and I have no idea why he got the money he got from us.

Thornton not starting does surprise me. I had high hopes for him. Maybe he benefited playing next to Fletcher Cox, but he was a good player in Philly.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Moyowa being benched doesn't surprise me. He was a scrub in Oakland and I have no idea why he got the money he got from us.

Thornton not starting does surprise me. I had high hopes for him. Maybe he benefited playing next to Fletcher Cox, but he was a good player in Philly.

He was a good player but it was a different system. (Philly was a 3-4 team)

And I don't think its that Thornton has been "bad" as much as it was Terrell McClain was much better than people hoped for, and he stayed healthy for the first time here. When they signed Thornton I'm sure many in the organization didn't even see McClain as a viable player to make the team, let alone win the starting job.

Mayowa on the other hand has been a total scrub.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Mayowa.....

Really no surprise that this obscure pick up is an over paid non factor. I wonder if Jerry would have given more effort and resources to find a better role player if he would have known this team would be in its current position?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
He was a good player but it was a different system. (Philly was a 3-4 team)

And I don't think its that Thornton has been "bad" as much as it was Terrell McClain was much better than people hoped for, and he stayed healthy for the first time here. When they signed Thornton I'm sure many in the organization didn't even see McClain as a viable player to make the team, let alone win the starting job.

Mayowa on the other hand has been a total scrub.

I think it was Collins who benched Thornton.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Mayowa.....

Really no surprise that this obscure pick up is an over paid non factor. I wonder if Jerry would have given more effort and resources to find a better role player if he would have known this team would be in its current position?

I don't think Jerry is in charge of that anymore. That's all Stephen now. He's not the free spender we've known Jerry to be. I've heard Stephen say that they prefer to groom and pay their own players rather than pay others teams players.

Reaction score
Not sure if that's true, to start the season they had Crawford next to McClain I thought.

Mayowa is another one of those Garrett era questionmark players that seemed to be assessed with a metric that no one else in the NFL has or finds valuable. That said, I wonder if Mayowa like a few others on the team right now would have been available for a much lower price. Garrett runs a kind of halfway house for misguided or misinterpreted talent.

But I think McClain might be outplaying Thornton but not because Thornton is not hustling, but McClain is playing beastly. Not to bring the dark cloud but when a player who was injured comes back and plays at high level, there are times that PEDs are involved.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Mayowa= garbage in- garbage out. With pass rushers being almost as hard to get as QBs did anybody really think he would hit his stride all of a sudden on his 3rd team in three years.

Top Bottom