C

Cr122

Tony Romo and the Cowboys offense regain their swagger

12:38 AM CDT on Tuesday, August 17, 2010
By GERRY FRALEY / The Dallas Morning News
gfraley@dallasnews.com

One day after suffering through its worst practice of camp, the offense returned with crispness and swagger.

Quarterback Tony Romo was sharp, especially in the team's two-minute drill. Tight end Jason Witten caught two touchdown passes. Miles Austin, who dropped four passes Sunday, scooped up a pass inches off the turf for a touchdown in front of diving safety Barry Church.

It was a far cry from the interceptions, dropped passes and busted plays that defined Sunday's second practice. Romo did not want to make excuses, but he said the offense was testing unfamiliar formations. He estimated that less than half of what the offense tried in that ill-fated practice will ever make it into a regular-season game plan.

"That's why you have to have those days," Romo said. "You don't want them, but if you never did it out here, you'd have no chance of ever doing it in a game. You've got to see what works."

Briefly: Alex Barron has 23 NFL starts at right tackle, all with St. Louis, but is not expected to play against San Diego. It would be the second consecutive game he has missed because of a sprained right ankle. ... Phillips said having an inexperienced right tackle will not stand in the way of Romo's getting his planned snaps against San Diego. The offense will adjust for inexperience at the position by having a tight end or a back help the right tackle on pass protection. ... The stock of rookie cornerback Jamar Wall, a sixth-round draft choice, continues to slide. Based upon the rotation of the defense, Wall and sprinter-turned-footballer Teddy Williams are the sixth and seventh corners.

C

Cr122

It's nice to hear the offense got out of it's funk in practice.

Hopefully this continues to the San Diego game.

As long as our line holds up and Garrett continues to make decent calls we will put up some points this year.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
It's nice to hear the offense got out of it's funk in practice.

Hopefully this continues to the San Diego game.

As long as our line holds up and Garrett continues to make decent calls we will put up some points this year.

Yeah,I'm good w/that.

I was a little pissed off at Garrett's playcalling after the Raiders game.After some comments by

Romo,I've calmed down a bit.Seems they were calling no goal line type plays down there,just bread and butter.

C

Cr122

Yeah,I'm good w/that.

I was a little pissed off at Garrett's playcalling after the Raiders game.After some comments by

Romo,I've calmed down a bit.Seems they were calling no goal line type plays down there,just bread and butter.

Well, yeah we stay pretty vanilla through preseason. But the good news is there's positive play from the offense in practice lately.

We'll see against San Diego if practice makes perfect.

Top Bottom