C

Cr122

Fraley: Reason for Cowboys lack of discipline is organization-wide unwillingness to stress accountability

06:00 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Dallas Morning News writer Gerry Fraley chatted with fans and answered questions about Sunday’s game on Monday, including issues with the offensive line and the offense. Here are some highlights:

What are your thoughts on the job Jason Garrett did on Sunday?

I thought Jason wanted to dazzle everyone by showing off what he has. Keep it simple and keep the ball in the hands of your best players. I realize Witten must block more to help the patchwork OL, but why make 12 throws to Bryant and eight to Witten?

Should we start sounding the warning bells, or do you think that this will be an aberration the team had to have and they’ll only get better from here on in?

Warning bells should have sounded when the first offense stunk up the joints in exhibition games. I realize it is only week two, but the Chicago game takes on extraordinary importance now. Cowboys do not want to be 0-2 heading into Houston, which will treat the game as if it were a Super Bowl.

Is there any way to improve the offensive line? Any legitimate options, trade or otherwise?

Nothing outside. Pittsburgh released Hartwig at the end of camp, but not sure he can move from center to guard any longer. Best possibility is getting Kosier and Colombo back.

Why is this team so consistently undisciplined?

The organization-wide unwillingness to stress accountability. That some players will not face the media after losses, as Barron and Choice did last night, might seem like whining on my part, but it is telling. True pros face up to those situations. The Cowboys are more like enablers, allowing the players to do as they choose.

Let's put it this way. My background is baseball heavy. Nolan Ryan never refused to talk after a bad outing, and he always accepted blame. I'll take a Nolan Ryan type player any day.

To read the rest of the chat, click here.

• • •

Top Bottom