C

Cr122

Fraley: Lackluster Cowboys probably will use starters in final exhibition

08:36 PM CDT on Sunday, August 29, 2010

Column by GERRY FRALEY / The Dallas Morning News | gfraley@dallasnews.com

Gerry Fraley
Archive | Bio | E-mail

IRVING – Hold on to those tickets for the Cowboys' home exhibition Thursday against Miami. They are no longer worthless pieces of cardboard.

For the first time since 2006, the Cowboys starters are likely to get playing time in the final exhibition game. The flat performance in Saturday night's 23-7 loss at Houston demands it.

"With the way we looked, you can expect us on Thursday," wide receiver Patrick Crayton said.

The decision of play or no-play Thursday rests with coach Wade Phillips. He must decide if the risk of injury to a front-line player in the last meaningless game outweighs the clear need for more playing time by the offense and the defense.

Bet on the latter. As Phillips told his players after the slipshod performance against Houston, this team is not ready for the regular-season opener, Sept. 12 at Washington.

"But that doesn't mean they won't be even if they don't play [Thursday]," Phillips said. "If we see things can be corrected in practice, we'll do that. If we need more game time, we have to do that."

Fourteen teams used regulars in the final exhibition game last season. Of those clubs, only three made the playoffs: Arizona , Green Bay and the New York Jets.

The tactic of holding starters out of the final exhibition in favor of soon-to-be-cut players started with New England. Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has not played in the final exhibition since 2003.

Other clubs followed New England's lead. Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning last played in the final exhibition in 2004.

Bill Parcells, who preceded Phillips, believed in using regulars in the final exhibition and gave them more than a cameo role. In 2006, Parcells' final season with the Cowboys, starters played three series in the last exhibition.

"If the players aren't ready for the first game, I need to get them ready to play," Phillips said. "We have to evaluate that. Certainly, there is an injury risk. But you have to be ready to play that first game."

The first offense all but lobbied for the work. It is an out-of-sync and mistake-ridden group.

In five full possessions against Houston, the first offense had no points and two turnovers. For 12 possessions overall, the first offense has as many turnovers (3) as scores. The scores came on two field goals and one touchdown. The touchdown, the only score in the last 10 possessions, came on an 8-yard drive against San Diego.

"I always want to play," quarterback Tony Romo said. "If they want us to play on Thursday, I'm definitely for it. I don't think you can get enough reps. You always want to be pushing the envelope in that regard."

The offense needs a good game for its psyche. It cannot accomplish that on the practice field at Valley Ranch. Remember that Romo said the offense had a string of well-executed performances during last week's practices in Oxnard, Calif. That did not carry over against Houston.

"It's important that we have a good feeling," offensive coordinator Jason Garrett said. "We need to get in a good offensive rhythm and feel good about how we're playing."

There is one other risk to using the starters Thursday.

What if the first offense flops again? The result could be a tighter-than-a-drum group heading to Washington. That is no way to start a season. If the starters play against Miami, the season starts then.

• • •

C

Cr122

Bill Parcells, who preceded Phillips, believed in using regulars in the final exhibition and gave them more than a cameo role. In 2006, Parcells' final season with the Cowboys, starters played three series in the last exhibition.

I think we see at least a quarter from the starters. We need it, bad line or not.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
In all honesty, I'm not sure if we should play the starters. What is it going to prove? It's a lose-lose situation. What are the starters going to come out and do? Whip up on future grocery baggers, becuase that's ll that will be playing.

I want to believe that the starters were simply exhausted: the Cowboys were the FIRST to open training camp and the LAST to close, couple that will all the traveling---they flew straight to Houston---no rest in between.

Personally, I want them to look at film from here on---and of course practice, and get ready for the Redskins. Maybe what happened is EXACTLY what they needed. People have been hyping this team up to where they think all they have to do is show up and the opposing teams will part like the Red Sea. If they have ANY pride in either of them... they will allow what happened in Houston to fester and then take it out on the Redskins.

Top Bottom