C

Cr122

Cowboys RB Felix Jones has outperformed ex-Hog teammate Darren McFadden

12:55 AM CDT on Thursday, August 12, 2010

By GERRY FRALEY / The Dallas Morning News gfraley@dallasnews.com

IRVING – Running back Felix Jones is establishing himself as more productive and more durable than Oakland's Darren McFadden, his teammate at Arkansas.

McFadden will miss tonight's exhibition against the Cowboys because of tightness in the left hamstring. McFadden, the fourth pick in the 2008 draft, has been dogged by toe and knee injuries that forced him to miss seven games in his first two seasons.

Jones, the 22nd pick in the 2008 draft, is expected to appear during two series with the first offense. He had one carry for 4 yards in Sunday's exhibition against Cincinnati and had a lost fumble erased by a penalty.

Jones missed 10 games as a rookie but only two last season. He played in the final 13 games and had 804 yards total offense for the season with a per-touch average of 5.96 yards. McFadden had 602 total yards with a per-touch average of 4.82.

Jones added about five pounds to his upper body through off-season training and is playing at 220 pounds. Coach Wade Phillips and running backs coach Skip Peete both said the extra weight has not taken away from Jones' speed.

"It's a physical game," Jones said of the added strength. "Anything that helps me out, I'm willing to use it. I think this will help me out through the season."

Top Bottom