IheartNYG

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Sparano and Haley have talked about joining forces again

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 7, 2012, 12:10 PM EST

Getty Images
Former Chiefs coach Todd Haley and Dolphins coach Tony Sparano are both looking for work.

It’s possible they may try to do it together. The former Cowboys assistants have talked about becoming a “package deal” with Haley coaching the passing game and Sparano coaching the running game, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

We’re not sure where the right fit for this possibility would be. Chris Mortensen reported that Sparano could possibly join the Jets or Cowboys.

Haley is expected to speak with the Cardinals about returning to Arizona.

The only place we could see both men fitting would be with the Jets. If that happened, Brian Schottenheimer would have to be shown the door despite repeated claims by the Jets that Schottenheimer is coming back.

Reaction score
In 5 years of auditioning now, Ginger has done NOTHING to show he's capable or qualified to be a legit OC in this league. Haley and Sparano would be a blessing.

Reaction score
No NFL team is going to be strong-armed by a tag team.

If a team offers one of them a job, they'd take it.

IheartNYG

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Jason Garrett meets with coaches
January, 7, 2012
JAN 7
1:58
PM CT

EmailPrintComments
By Calvin Watkins
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett met with some coaches in the last few days to talk about their status with the organization. Several coaches, Dave Campo, Brett Maxie, Skip Peete, Hudson Houck, Wes Phillips and Keith O'Quinn, entered the last year of their contracts.

It isn't known if these coaches were retained by Garrett, but Campo, the secondary coach offered a "no comment" when asked about his status with the team.

The Cowboys tried to replace Campo last season with Ray Horton, who was the secondary coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. But Horton became the defensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals.

Houck is the highest paid offensive line coach in the NFL, at $1 million a season, and it appears he along with Maxie, the safeties coach will return.

Phillips has a close relationship with Garrett, but he might leave to join his father, Wade Phillips in Houston. The Cowboys seemed to be pleased with Peete, the running backs coach, who worked with rookie DeMarco Murray, who rushed for a team-high 897 yards.

O'Quinn, the offensive quality control/wide receivers coach, who is well-respected, could also return.

Reaction score
In 5 years of auditioning now, Ginger has done NOTHING to show he's capable or qualified to be a legit OC in this league. Haley and Sparano would be a blessing.

Haley and Sparano have proved nothing more than Garrett has as the head guys.

Reaction score
They were pretty good positional coaches from what I recall. I like that they got some HC experience too. They probably learned a lot about the game and can provide some support and experience to this staff. Apparently two different people asked Garrett to call the TO that iced our own kicker vs. Arizona. We need better support all-around to prevent royal fuck-up disasters like that.

Reaction score
I know you hate Garrett and all... but let's not pretend he hasn't had any success here.

He's had a top 10 offense 3 out of 5 years here and top 15 every year, including a season as number 2 and one as number 3.

Could he be better? Well yeah, he hasn't been number one every year, and he's made plenty of mistakes. But it's not like he's done NOTHING.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Haley going to arizona ends this nonsense.

I imagine I'd sporano feels this is a god spot here he will join the staff.

I have my fingers crossed. He has the right mentality and the experience to be exactly the kind if coach we need with the amount if young and new players we will have.

I would love to add him and a guy like cam Cameron.

Load up on coaches and then go big in free agency.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I know you hate Garrett and all... but let's not pretend he hasn't had any success here.

He's had a top 10 offense 3 out of 5 years here and top 15 every year, including a season as number 2 and one as number 3.

Could he be better? Well yeah, he hasn't been number one every year, and he's made plenty of mistakes. But it's not like he's done NOTHING.

I'm not all that impressed.

His offensive scoring doesn't pair up to his yardage.

It would be one thing if it was a single year where this was the case but it's not.

His teams do not score on the level they should given their yardage.

In terms of scoring, he's only had 2 top 10 years, one of which was last year.

2011: 15th
2010: 7th
2009: 14th
2008: 18th
2007: 2nd

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

It would be one thing if it was a single year where this was the case but it's not.

of course your not

Reaction score

That was a gross exaggeration on my part, but you know better than to use total offense as a stat to support him. We've been in the bottom of the league in redzone efficiency and and middle of the pack in scoring. Plus, rather than build upon that 2009 wildcard win, we've basically done a nosedive back towards the pre-Parcells years. Garrett has been apart of it the entire time, so to fire Wade and say that Garrett did not contribute to the issues is very naive and ignorant. So at the very least, that little ginger could use some Sparano support if he's gonna stick around here. Garrett is a smart dude and might be a great coach one day, but his lack of experience was a huge detriment to this team multiple times over the year. At the very least, I think we should be playing a football game right now rather than watching the Giants.

Reaction score
That was a gross exaggeration on my part, but you know better than to use total offense as a stat to support him. We've been in the bottom of the league in redzone efficiency and and middle of the pack in scoring. Plus, rather than build upon that 2009 wildcard win, we've basically done a nosedive back towards the pre-Parcells years. Garrett has been apart of it the entire time, so to fire Wade and say that Garrett did not contribute to the issues is very naive and ignorant. So at the very least, that little ginger could use some Sparano support if he's gonna stick around here. Garrett is a smart dude and might be a great coach one day, but his lack of experience was a huge detriment to this team multiple times over the year. At the very least, I think we should be playing a football game right now rather than watching the Giants.
I agree with most of this... However, I will say, the easiest way to judge an offense is by yardage output. It's a universal way to compare them across the league.

Scoring averages can be impacted heavily by the type of defense you have. And red zone efficiency, while an important stat for scoring averages, is just one part of the offense.

Reaction score

Well that's good, cause I wasn't trying to impress you. Just don't act like he has no business running an offense in this league.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Well that's good, cause I wasn't trying to impress you. Just don't act like he has no business running an offense in this league.

A lot of coaches have business running an NFL offense. Doesn't necessarily mean that they're good at it.

Top Bottom