sbk92

Reaction score
Clifton Brown
Sporting News

Florida center Mike Pouncey said Monday that he would attend the NFL draft on April 28 at Radio City Music Hall in New York if invited by the league.

Pouncey, twin brother of Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey of the Pittsburgh Steelers, is expected to be a first-round pick.

"I haven’t been invited yet, but I’m hoping to get invited," Pouncey told Sporting News on Monday. "I’ll bring my brother up there and a couple of my family members.

"I’m going if I’m invited. I just feel like it’s a dream I’ve wanted my whole life. We’ve busted our tails to be in the draft, and it’s a dream come true."

Some NFL veterans say rookies shouldn't attend this year’s draft because of the current labor unrest. But Pouncey said he is not concerned about backlash from veterans.

"I’m not too worried about that," Pouncey said. "I respect their feelings because they’re great players. But as far as them keeping us from going to the draft, I’m totally against it."

Reaction score
What's wrong with Tyron Smith? Not that those two would be bad consolation prizes.

Nothing. I'm just wary of a report I read that stated he'd be very good in 7 years, but it'd take a few years for him to become good (paraphrasing).

6-10 season notwithstanding, I'm of the belief that we're a team that could legitimately contend for a Super Bowl this year. If we take a tackle at 9, I want him to start right away and be a considerable upgrade over Columbo. Would Smith be able to do that, or would he struggle for a few years?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Nothing. I'm just wary of a report I read that stated he'd be very good in 7 years, but it'd take a few years for him to become good (paraphrasing).

6-10 season notwithstanding, I'm of the belief that we're a team that could legitimately contend for a Super Bowl this year. If we take a tackle at 9, I want him to start right away and be a considerable upgrade over Columbo. Would Smith be able to do that, or would he struggle for a few years?

I wouldn't put too much stock into that claim of him taking a couple of years to arrive. I think he becomes an instant upgrade over Colombo from day 1.

sbk92

Reaction score
It's very hard to come into the NFL and play LT your first year. I haven't run the numbers, but I bet it's pretty rare.

I think what Sturm meant is Smith may need a couple of years before he's a finished product. And for him that means LT.

Honestly, I think any of the Ts taken in the first round could come in here tomorrow and be better than Colombo. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about big picture. Smith has the highest ceiling. He'd be my pick.

Cythim

Reaction score
It's very hard to come into the NFL and play LT your first year. I haven't run the numbers, but I bet it's pretty rare.

I think what Sturm meant is Smith may need a couple of years before he's a finished product. And for him that means LT.

Honestly, I think any of the Ts taken in the first round could come in here tomorrow and be better than Colombo. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about big picture. Smith has the highest ceiling. He'd be my pick.

Exactly. This goes along with the Watkins argument, you don't take lower quality because they can start sooner. I want a long term solution, not a stop gap. If that means no Super Bowl this year then so be it.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
If we end up trading down, I'm hoping we either land this kid or Carimi.

Carimi is a Jew.

With Kosier and Olshansky already on the team (both Jews) I think we'd be pushing the limits.

Also, go with the facts here... No Jewish player has ever been great. If I'm drafting in the first round, I'm looking for great.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Exactly. This goes along with the Watkins argument, you don't take lower quality because they can start sooner. I want a long term solution, not a stop gap. If that means no Super Bowl this year then so be it.

Noone has suggested drafting Danny Watkins at #9, MOH-ron.

Reaction score
Carimi is a Jew.

With Kosier and Olshansky already on the team (both Jews) I think we'd be pushing the limits.

Also, go with the facts here... No Jewish player has ever been great. If I'm drafting in the first round, I'm looking for great.

HEIL !!!!!!!

sbk92

Reaction score
Adrian Clayborn and Julio Jones have accepted invites to the draft.

I'm glad to see these kids thumb their noses at the union.

sbk92

Reaction score
Von Miller to attend NFL draft

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN

Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller, who is the only rookie plaintiff in the players' antitrust lawsuit against the NFL, has accepted an invitation to attend the draft April 28.

"I'm honored to get an invitation and I plan on being there," Miller said. "It's always been a dream of mine, having my name called and being able to walk across the stage and shake the hand of the commissioner."

Florida offensive lineman Mike Pouncey also said he accepted a draft invite.

Miller felt there was no conflict or hypocrisy in his decision to enjoy the NFL draft festivities, courtesy of the league, despite the owners' lockout of players.

"It doesn't change my stance with current NFL players," Miller said. "This is just separating the personal from the business. Personally, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to fulfill a dream that my mom and dad, myself and my family can enjoy a very emotional day. But I still plan on being there for the players in trying to get this lockout lifted."

Miller said he will attend next Thursday's hearing in St. Paul, Minn., before U.S. District Court Judge Susan Nelson as players seek a preliminary injunction to end the lockout.

"I want to be in the courtroom to show my support and conviction -- I want to play the game I love," Miller said. "It was great to be asked to be part of the lawsuit, to join an elite group of guys. For them to ask me, it was a huge surprise but I look on it as a blessing from God."

Miller is one of 10 players who have their names on the antitrust lawsuit. The other nine NFL players are: New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady; Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning; New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees; San Diego Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson; Minnesota Vikings linebacker Ben Leber and defensive end Brian Robison; New England guard Logan Mankins; New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora; and Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Mike Vrabel.

Miller said his agents, David Dunn and Joby Branion, have been supportive of both decisions -- to sue the league and to attend the draft, despite sentiment from some players that it would be hypocritical to shake commissioner Roger Goodell's hand when Miller's name is called. He also said he had received no pressure from the NFL Players Association, which will sponsor receptions before and after the draft.

"My agents have been great and I have not been pressured by anybody," Miller said. "They have kept me informed and they always felt it was my decision. I've got great parents and we discussed both things -- the legal part and the draft part -- and they're behind me 100 percent."

Top Bottom