C

Cr122

Updated: August 19, 2010, 7:32 PM
Five For Fighting
Eatman: Saturday's Game Huge For These 5 Rookie DBs
Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
Email | Follow nickeatman on Twitter

OXNARD, Calif. - About a week from now, the Cowboys will be preparing to not only break this monster month-long training camp, but head off to Houston for the real dress rehearsal to the season.

That night will be rather electric just because the people in H-town will treat it as the second-biggest game of the season, next to the Sept. 26 regular season matchup down there.

Regardless, it will be important for the Cowboys to see how the starters stack up in extended playing time, which usually goes for a half and sometimes well into the third quarter.

So if that night is big for the starters, then Saturday's game in San Diego is one of the last real opportunities for some of these young players.

Yes, I know about the final preseason game - Sept. 2 against the Dolphins. They haven't cancelled it - not officially anyway. But we all know the goal for that game is to simply go through the motions and stay healthy. Sure, a few players can make a difference, but for the most part, the minds have been made up.

So if the starters hold their dress rehearsal next week, this one against the Chargers should be deemed just as vital for these bubble guys trying to make it.

And while those players are sprinkled all over the roster, let's focus today on the defensive backs. To me, there are five rookies - two cornerbacks and three safeties - who are very much competing for a roster spot and possibly positioning themselves for playing time.

Who knows how much, if any, they will get in that fourth preseason game in Houston? So they have to make this one count.

I've got five rookie defensive backs. Before I get to them, let me also throw in Cletis Gordon, who returns to face his former team in San Diego. Now, he's obviously not a rookie and didn't actually fit into the theme of my story.

But this game is just as important to him, maybe even more than the others. With rookies, you're just looking for potential. You're looking for maybe a handful of plays that show the kid has it. Now what is "it?" That's always debatable. But you want to see if they've got something to work with.

But a guy like Gordon is different. Been around several times before. In some ways, this really could be his last shot, and you've got to give credit to him, he's making the most of it. Wait, let's clarify, Gordon has so far made the most of his opportunity ... in practice. And yes, he's been the practice star of camp, with an interception just about every day.

However, we really haven't seen it yet in a game. In his defense, he got hurt in the second quarter against the Bengals and missed last week's game against Oakland. He really hasn't had the chance to make it happen in the games, but he'll get that chance Saturday night. And Gordon needs to make the most of it.

Because he's got five young defensive backs, two of them cornerbacks, fighting to land a spot. Let's take a closer look at each of the five players and what must happen for them to stick around.

CB Jamar Wall - Draft picks usually have an edge over a rookie free agent, especially if it's a close race. Obviously, the Cowboys aren't afraid to cut draft picks or keep undrafted rookies, but Wall still has the edge at the end of the day. Cutting draft picks admits a mistake. Wall has to make some plays and he really hasn't done it so far. He batted down a pass that should've been intercepted near the end of the Raiders game. That could've helped his cause, but he made the play.

Yet, there just haven't been a lot of them from Wall, who is more of a physical cornerback and uses his strength. He needs a few more plays right now. Even though he's a draft pick, I would guess he could be on the outside looking in.

CB Bryan McCann - Personally, I think McCann has the edge - right now. I think if you had to make a decision you keep him over Wall. He's got more athletic ability, is much faster and quicker, and he can return both punts and kickoffs.

Plus, what's the big difference between a sixth-round pick and a rookie free agent?

Again, with three preseason games to play, it's still up in the air. I would say both McCann and Wall are trailing Gordon at the moment. But all it takes is a few big plays in the games, and everything changes.

And,

C

Cr122

Page two

McCann has more chances to do so, because he's returning kicks. It's still up for grabs, but I'd give the edge to McCann at the moment.

FS Akwasi Owusu-Ansah - OK, he's making the team. That's not really a debate. But where these games are important for him is if he's active or not come the regular season.

He's going to be on the 53, but the 45-man roster is the issue with him. And since Saturday night will be his first game, look for him to get plenty of opportunities. Not only is he playing a lot of safety with Pat Watkins and Mike Hamlin both out, but he's returning kickoffs and punts, too.

I'd say he has the chance to be inactive for a while, but it all changes real quick if he can take a punt or kickoff back for a touchdown, or even just a big play. Right now, the team really doesn't have a solid return man, especially on kickoffs. Dez Bryant isn't doing that, of course, and Titus Ryan got hurt when he was going to get his shot.

Sure, Felix Jones could and might be the best option, but Akwasi has a great chance to make his mark and carve his own niche if he can make a few plays Saturday night.

SS Barry Church - Unlike Owusu-Ansah, this guy is fighting to make the squad. You can see the ability and why he was so productive at Toledo for four years. He has good instincts and finds the football well. In practice Tuesday, Church had two interceptions and two more breakups.

However, it all comes down to special teams. He might be a great prospect at safety, but to keep on the roster, he needs to shine covering kicks. And that's where the competition might be too much for him.

This one is a tough call. On one hand, I'd be surprised if the Cowboys let him go. However, I don't really see how or where he fits. Then again, all it takes is a play or two.

Danny McCray - Here's a guy that wouldn't have been on anyone's radar a few weeks ago. In fact, McCray really wasn't on the Cowboys' radar to sign until special teams coach Joe DeCamillis noticed him while watching tape of another LSU player.

McCray was standing out on special teams on film, and he's stood out the same way in practice and certainly in the preseason games.

If the Cowboys decide not to keep Watkins, then it opens the door for a guy like McCray, who is mainly a special-teamer who could play on every unit.

He's done enough to be recognized after two games. If he keeps it up, there's no way the Cowboys can let him go.

Top Bottom