Reaction score
Fired-up Friday: Rank the NFC East coaches
June, 3, 2011

By Dan Graziano

Awwwww yeah. It's Friday, people! And that means it's time to argue.

Two weeks ago, we got all lathered up about Eli Manning vs. Tony Romo. Last week we ranked the division's wide receiver corps against each other. Each time, the result was a wave of commentary and a good, fun Friday debate in which no one said anything mean or nasty and we all learned a little by being open-minded to each other's points of view.

Or something like that.

Anyway, we're doing it again, and this time we're ranking the coaches. Simple, right? How do you rank the four head coaches in the NFC East? Here's my list:

1. Andy Reid

2. Tom Coughlin

3. Mike Shanahan

4. Jason Garrett

First, let's get Garrett out of the way. For all we know right now, he could turn out to be the best coach of this bunch. But as of today he can't be in the discussion with these guys. He's got eight games' worth of track record. The other three have a combined 44 years.

So how do we sift through those 44 years and rank the other three? Well, it obviously wasn't just based on Super Bowl titles, or else the order (as I'm certain some of you are planning to point out) would have been reversed. Shanahan has the two from Denver, Coughlin has the one from three years ago and Reid is tied with you and me in this category, which is the main thing the city of Philadelphia seems to hold against him.

But for me, there's just no way to argue with Reid's consistent level of success. In 12 years as the Eagles' head coach, he's had nine winning seasons, eight double-digit-win seasons, seven first-place finishes, 10 playoff wins and a conference title. His teams contend or win every single year. He's retooled his offensive skill positions on the fly over the past three years without a hiccup. He's not afraid to make a decision no one else likes if he believes it to be the right one for the team. He has guts, conviction and my vote for the top spot.

The second spot was actually tougher for me. Coughlin has eight winning seasons, six first-place finishes and eight playoff wins (including that one really big one) over 15 years as a head coach. He won 49 regular-season games and four playoff games in the first five years of the Jacksonville Jaguars franchise, then came to the Giants and built a Super Bowl winning team. Shanahan has nine winning seasons, four first-place finishes and eight playoff wins (including two really big ones) in 17 years as a head coach. In the end, I think I went with Coughlin because I think he eschews nonsense where Shanahan seems to court it and because he's had success in two different places. But it was close for me. Heck, it was close three ways. But if I were picking a coach for my team right now out of this group, I believe I'd pick Big Red.

But enough about me. What do you guys think? Remember ... play nice!!!!

Reaction score
Actually, that's a lie. You could argue Coughlin is better than Reid, considering that SB win, and taking two seperate teams to conference championship games.

sbk92

Reaction score
You have to have Garrett last considering the resume of the other coaches.

Reaction score
You ask me who I'd pick, assuming those four were available today.... my order would be Reid, Garrett, Coughlin, then Shannahan.

That's taking age, etc, into consideration.

Although I'm not sure a situation would occur where I'd take Shanny over Garrett. Might be homerism, but I haven't been impressed with Shanny, post-Elway. His draft history is questionable at best, and his handling of Washington last year was pretty bad. Specifically the waffling with McNabb, as well as the handling of the Haynesworth situation.

Garrett is unproven, but I think he's ridiculously smart, and I buy what he's selling.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Actually, that's a lie. You could argue Coughlin is better than Reid, considering that SB win, and taking two seperate teams to conference championship games.

Then you could say that Shanahan is better than Coghlin due to the two SBs. I don't buy it of course, but that's the argument that could be made.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You ask me who I'd pick, assuming those four were available today.... my order would be Reid, Garrett, Coughlin, then Shannahan.

That's taking age, etc, into consideration.

Although I'm not sure a situation would occur where I'd take Shanny over Garrett. Might be homerism, but I haven't been impressed with Shanny, post-Elway. His draft history is questionable at best, and his handling of Washington last year was pretty bad. Specifically the waffling with McNabb, as well as the handling of the Haynesworth situation.

Garrett is unproven, but I think he's ridiculously smart, and I buy what he's selling.

Mine would be Garrett, Reid, Coughlin, and then Shanahan. I think Reid will never win and is just treading water. The team he took to the SB and lost was his best team.

sbk92

Reaction score
You can't put Garrett first after 8 games in a division where every other head coach has been to the Super Bowl. That's just pure homerism.

Reaction score
I could see putting Garrett ahead of Shannahan and Coughlin. But not Reid.

Reid has kept the Eagles at or near the top of the NFC the majority of his time there.

You have to take him #1.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You can't put Garrett first after 8 games in a division where every other head coach has been to the Super Bowl. That's just pure homerism.

LOL. Nobody is putting Garrett first in terms of accomplishments. My response was to which coach I would rather have right now. The other three has accomplished more than Garrett, that is not even being debated, but I wqould rather right now go with a young gun like Garrett.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I could see putting Garrett ahead of Shannahan and Coughlin. But not Reid.

Reid has kept the Eagles at or near the top of the NFC the majority of his time there.

You have to take him #1.

You have to take him but I don't. LOL. Sometimes you have to be tired of ebing the bridesmaid.

sbk92

Reaction score
LOL. Nobody is putting Garrett first in terms of accomplishments. My response was to which coach I would rather have right now. The other three has accomplished more than Garrett, that is not even being debated, but I wqould rather right now go with a young gun like Garrett.

Sure you would.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact he's the coach of the Cowboys. If you were an Eagles or Giants fan you'd have head coach envy right now.

Riiiiiiight.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Sure you would.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact he's the coach of the Cowboys. If you were an Eagles or Giants fan you'd have head coach envy right now.

Riiiiiiight.

I would. I am not and have not been in favor for retread coaches. Who is to say those coaches would have duplicate or better success with the Cowboys?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't think any Redskin fan would take Shanahan other than 4th if last year is any indication.

Top Bottom