dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Guess Mid was incorrect (again)

2015-16 Super Bowl odds: Seahawks final preseason favorite, Packers 2nd

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

September 10, 2015 9:56 am ET

For years now we've trotted out a handy little chart showing who sits where when it comes to the Super Bowl odds for that given year. This year we're changing things up and breaking it down 1-32 in power rankings format, based on Vegas' odds.

So Vegas Super Bowl odds. In a list. With blurbs.

1. Seahawks (9-2): If you're the defending champs you know you're going to have the ... wait a minute. I guess they did add Jimmy Graham and do have a generational defense. The Kam Chancellor holdout should be concerning. So should the offensive line. But find someone picking them not to win the division or make a deep run and let all the delightful Seahawks fans on Twitter know about it.

2. Packers (6-1): If Jordy Nelson's not done for the season they have to be the top choice. Ted Thompson's incredible ability to scout wide receivers in the draft is going to get a major test this year as Davante Adams fills in for Nelson (not to mention Ty Montgomery) and Randall Cobb gets real work as a No. 1. If they have Aaron Rodgers they have a very good chance to win the Super Bowl.

3. Patriots (8-1): This feels like decent value relative to where they'll be if Tom Brady and Bill Belichick come out on spite fire. LeGarrette Blount suspended for a game, Darrelle Revis' departure, Brandon LaFell on the PUP -- there are definitely reasons to be worried about this team. But a strong offensive line fronting Brady passing to Rob Gronkowski will be fine. Dominique Easley and Chandler Jones could be breakouts.

4. Colts (8-1): Offense for DAYS. Andrew Luck is a legit MVP candidate with Frank Gore, Andre Johnson, T.Y. Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Phillip Dorsett, Donte Moncrief. The only problem is that pesky defense. Fortunately the second-best quarterback in their division is either Marcus Mariota or Blake Bortles so the playoffs are probably a good bet.

5. Eagles (8-1): This is what happens when you score a bajillion points in the preseason. Sam Bradford looks great, so does DeMarco Murray. Everyone is healthy in September!

6. Broncos (9-1): This time last year Peyton Manning and Co. were the 11-2 preseason favorites to win the Super Bowl. Now? It's full Rodney Dangerfield. No respect. If Manning comes out, throws five touchdowns, lights up the Ravens and reminds everyone he's still pretty good, this number will drop quickly.

7. Cowboys (14-1): Dallas stomping all over people in the run game last season gives rise to their high ranking, even if Murray is gone and replaced by Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden and the newly acquired Christine Michael. The defense has questionable-character, high-impact additions in Randy Gregory and Greg Hardy. Feels like the floor is a lot higher for Dallas than in years past.

8. Ravens (16-1): Feels like there's a lot of love for Baltimore as a sleeper pick of sorts. Makes sense. Joe Flacco, Justin Forsett and Steve Smith form a decent core and if Breshad Perriman can get healthy this offense is scary. The defense will continue to be solid.

9. Steelers (20-1): Don't buy now. Wait until the Patriots come out guns blazing against the Steelers on Thursday night. If Pittsburgh loses, it will have better odds. Bonus: Le'Veon Bell will be back. This offense is going to be STOUT.

10. Dolphins (20-1): The hype around Miami is fairly out of control -- at 40-1 after the draft and 33-1 after free agency, Joe Philbin's team would be even higher if Tom Brady was suspended. Kind of makes sense. Ndamukong Suh is a huge upgrade on defense and Ryan Tannehill could be primed for a breakout year. Would you call this a top-10 NFL team? Vegas does.

11. Lions (30-1): Nice middle-of-the-road value here, what with the Lions turning into the 2015 Cowboys with their stacking the line (Laken Tomlinson, Manny Ramirez) and loading up at running back (Joique Bell, Theo Riddick, Ameer Abdullah). The defense is different but Teryl Austin will make it work.

12. Cardinals (30-1): Same deal as Detroit: strong team, nice additions this offseason, really difficult division. Carson Palmer has to stay healthy. It wouldn't be stunning if John Brown was the best wideout on this team and David Johnson the best running back. Replacing Todd Bowles and keeping the defense humming won't be easy.

13. Chiefs (30-1): Are we underrating Kansas City? Alex Smith has legit weapons with Jamaal Charles, Travis Kelce and Jeremy Maclin. This defense has dudes who can sack the quarterback in Dontari Poe, Justin Houston and Tamba Hali.

14. Chargers (40-1): If the Bolts beef up their running game with Melvin Gordon (and complementary grit-meister Danny Woodhead), Philip Rivers will be better than people expect. When he plays in a balanced offense he starts to really get rolling.

15. Saints (40-1): What a different world than 2014, when everyone was on board with the Saints bandwagon. They've revamped and focused on the run game, adding C.J. Spiller (and bringing back Mark Ingram), Max Unger and Andrus Peat. The defense is the big question mark here but people said that when they won the Super Bowl six years ago too.

16. Bengals (40-1): Inexplicable really. All they've done is fortify their offensive line and get healthy on defense. Two good running backs (Jeremy Hill, Giovani Bernard), a capable quarterback (Andy Dalton) and a stud wideout (A.J. Green) on offense should have them primed for the playoff hunt.

17. Texans (40-1): Hard Knocks makes you fall in love with a team but then you realize that team is starting Brian Hoyer at quarterback and will be missing Arian Foster for a month or more (or less?). Just start J.J. Watt on offense already.

18. Falcons (40-1): It feels like Dan Quinn will make a major impact on this team, along with what might've been the best rookie class in the entire draft. Tevin Coleman can run and Vic Beasley can rush the passer. Matt Ryan and Julio Jones can put up massive numbers in Kyle Shanahan's offense. The defense has to be better under Quinn and the offensive line can't be worse. This feels like good value!

19. Bills (40-1): Rex Ryan would GUARANTEE his team has a better chance than 40-1. But it's irrelevant without them having a quarterback you can trust. For now it's impossible to call Tyrod Taylor that guy, but he at least makes things interesting.

20. Vikings (40-1): This is actually a reasonable value for the Vikings -- in some places they're way more expensive. Bringing Adrian Peterson back helps. But the Vikings hype train is out of control at this point. People are sleeping on the NFC North being a tough division, even though that defense should be a top-10 or top-five unit this year and Teddy Bridgewater is capable of taking the next step. This price is actually a lot more reasonable than you can find elsewhere.

21. Giants (50-1): Is this all on Will Beatty going down? Maybe some on the defense not being great. But with Odell Beckham Jr., Victor Cruz, Rueben Randle, Shane Vereen, Rashad Jennings and Andre Williams helping Eli Manning this offsense should be strong.

22. Rams (50-1): More good value if you believe Nick Foles can captain a Super Bowl team which, uh, is, um, something that, gee, is totally, uh, believable. Tre Mason plus Todd Gurley will make for a mean running game, Brian Quick was great before he got hurt last year and this is the best defensive line in football. Robert Quinn, Chris Long, Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers ... Nick Fairley off the bench!

23. Panthers (60-1): Pretty wild for the two-time defending NFC South Division champions to be this far down, even if 7-8-1 is an insult to winning. Of course, losing your top receiver for the year with a torn ACL, still having a disaster for an offensive line and some injuries on defense to start the season will tend to submarine your Super Bowl chances. The formula really isn't different this year for Carolina than the past two, so, again value here.

24. 49ers (100-1): As has been well documented, the 49ers had a pretty miserable offseason. Frank Gore and Mike Iupati left in free agency, while Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Anthony Davis and Chris Borland all retired. Jim Harbaugh was replaced by Jim Tomsula and it's just hard to imagine this team winning a ton of games.

25. Bears (100-1): The Bears have the same odds as the Browns. Talk about a freaking reality check for Jay Cutler.

26. Browns (100-1): What would their odds be if Johnny Manziel was starting? Just kidding. They would be the same.

27. Redskins (100-1): Taking Washington at this price feels a little like paying $499 a night for the first-floor room of a Courtyard Marriott somewhere in Florida with Florida Men roaming the parking lot all night.

28. Jets (100-1): Puncher's chance!

29. Buccaneers (100-1): The fluctuation here is all on Jameis Winston. If he comes out hot they'll shoot up. If he comes out colder than crab legs on ice this won't be much better.

30. Raiders (100-1): Hope in Oakland! Which is kind of depressing to say given where they are but there should be high expectations for Khalil Mack, Amari Cooper and Derek Carr in 2015.

31. Titans (200-1): If Marcus Mariota can beat Jameis, then the Titans will have half their win total from last year already.

32. Jaguars (300-1): Jacksonville isn't the worst team in the NFL so this seems unfair.

Reaction score
Obviously Vegas recognizes that coaching matters more in the NFL than any other major sport, and we have a major handicap at head coach.

Because we're just as talented, if not more, than a lot of the team with better odds.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
How many times in the last 10 yrs has Vegas been right in the preseason though?

Teams 4,5 & 6 don't have any better coaching situation than we do either.

Reaction score
They absolutely have better head coaches. 5 & 6 specifically.

In regards to your first question.... 8 times.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dallas stomping all over people in the run game last season gives rise to their high ranking
Also gives rise to every team we play, coming at us HARD like it was we who won the Super Bowl.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They absolutely have better head coaches. 5 & 6 specifically.

In regards to your first question.... 8 times.

Is the HC the only one on the sideline or in the box?

Where did you find out they were right 8 times? With your track record for fail in regards to info I should probably check on this.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Is the HC the only one on the sideline or in the box?
I dunno, but I do know ours is the only one who claps when we do stupid things like miss field goals, have dumb penalties, throw picks, lose fumbles and fail to convert 4th and 1. Oh and the only one in the history of football anywhere, who ever froze his own kicker.

Reaction score
No one uses "fail" like that anymore dbair.

Jesus Christ. I bet you still tell people "homey don't play that" too.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I bet you still tell people "homey don't play that" too.
LOL

I do!

Of course, you were filling your huggies back when these were popular slang, and when Dallas was winning Super Bowls.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm actually on my way to Vegas right now to place a bet on the Cowboys to win the SB. Based on what I've found online, I should be able to get upwards of around 18 or even 20 to 1...unreal value

A couple of months ago..Dallas was closer to 10 to 1 to win the SB..what happened was philly won the preseason championship and people starting hammering them to win the SB...their odds dropped significantly and it raised Dallas's odds...

I'll let you guys know what I find...I'll post my slip as well

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Odds out here were not as good as I was hoping for..searched many books..this was the best anywhere has to offer...I'll take it

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Odds out here were not as good as I was hoping for..searched many books..this was the best anywhere has to offer...I'll take it

Damn......good for you. The days of tossing money around are over for me with a kid in college but I wouldn't bet on the Cowboys even if I did have the money. I don't trust Garrett enough to gamble hard earned money on a team he coaches.

Reaction score
Damn......good for you. The days of tossing money around are over for me with a kid in college but I wouldn't bet on the Cowboys even if I did have the money. I don't trust Garrett enough to gamble hard earned money on a team he coaches.

I feel the same way. Love our team. Love the talent. Don't trust the head coaching.

Also question if the run game can be physical enough late in the season. Too hard to tell with so many unknowns in the backfield.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dude, sweet. I admire anyone who puts their money where their faith is. I hope you WIN.

Reaction score
I did the same thing, although for only 500, going into the 2008 season. Did it with a local book too, not in Vegas. So I guess not the "same thing."

Sincerely hope you have better luck than I did, Glorydays.

Top Bottom