Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
B

The 1st 3 picks were epic, especially DeMarco Murray.

Got a nice corner prospect in Josh Thomas.

Arkin is a sleeper.

That's about all the good things I can say about this draft, and by good I mean very good.

Last edited:

sbk92

Reaction score
Grade it....

1(9) Tyron Smith T USC
2(40) Bruce Carter OLB North Carolina
3(71) DeMarco Murray RB Oklahoma
4(110) David Arkin G Missouri St.
5(143) Josh Thomas CB Buffalo
6(176) Dwayne Harris WR East Carolina
7(220) Shaun Chapas FB Georgia
7(252) Bill Nagy C Wisconsin

I'll go with a B. I had it a little higher entering the 7th round, I feel the last two picks are a waste. Chapas is a decent prospect at a position I'd rather fill with the 3rd TE. Either everyone was wrong or Nagy was undraftable.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
C+

Smith/Carter/Arkin were all picks that I liked.

It could get a better grade after I see some veterans released, Barber and Choice for example. Release them and I instantly like the Murray pick.

Reaction score
I like the draft more long term than I do for 2011.

I love the Dwayne Harris pick just as much as I love the Tyron and Carter pick. I think this kid not only makes the team, but has a Crayton-esque like presence his rookie year.

The only selection I'd change would be the Murray pick.

I don't think Nagy will amount to much. His head coach was on the NFL Network set and said the kid played TE, Center, and Guard his senior year. And was recovering from a scooter accident (wtf?). So he might be more of a developmental guy. Maybe if he settles into a position, and gets some practice, he'll turn into something. But I can at least appreciate us throwing a warm body at a position of need.

No trades. No future picks lost. No reaches.

Overall grade..... B+.

kingdomcome1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
A...because of the Smith pick....IMO, a future ALL Pro for years to come and an immediate need filled.....

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
B.

The pick for the running back still holds me back on giving this a B+ effort.

I think the kid can be a good 3rd down back, but I believe Felix is better at running the football.

That's two years in a row where it seems the Cowboys truly did follow their board and didn't waver to take the "pet cats" of the coaching staff like they did in '09 with Jason Williams (Wade) and Brewster (Houck).

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like the draft more long term than I do for 2011.

I love the Dwayne Harris pick just as much as I love the Tyron and Carter pick. I think this kid not only makes the team, but has a Crayton-esque like presence his rookie year.

The only selection I'd change would be the Murray pick.

I don't think Nagy will amount to much. His head coach was on the NFL Network set and said the kid played TE, Center, and Guard his senior year. And was recovering from a scooter accident (wtf?). So he might be more of a developmental guy. Maybe if he settles into a position, and gets some practice, he'll turn into something. But I can at least appreciate us throwing a warm body at a position of need.

No trades. No future picks lost. No reaches.

Overall grade..... B+.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Good point, Laz. Have to include Brent into the equation as he cost us a 7th this year. Good ass point. Would have to take my grade to a B+ as he looks to have a bright future in this league.

Reaction score
But Brent was a rookie last year.

If Brent played this year, we wouldn't have gotten him in the 7th.

C

Cr122

B.

I liked all of our picks except Nagy, and I think Murray would of made it to the 4th or 5th round, so I think we could of addressed S or DE there.

Romeus was still there and I wanted Shiloh Keo. Plus Cannon made it to the 5th round and I would've still drafted him.

I think the kid recovers and has a good career.

sbk92

Reaction score
I know Goose gave us the best grade of the NFC East teams.

My take is this is at least a class where you see potential starters. Tyron Smith is a starter week 1. Bruce Carter should be starting by 2012. Unless Felix Jones finds his stride, DeMarco Murray could be starting. He has that ability. So that's three right there.

David Arkin is a developmental player but one who has future starting ability. He's no good bet like the first three but the possibility is there.

Thomas is a nickel corner. Harris is a slot WR/returner. I suppose you can call Chapas a starter, but that's a real stretch with how little the FB plays anymore. And Nagy has his work cut out for him to even make the team. He's interesting in the way he may have fell through the cracks. We got great feedback on him. I wouldn't completely rule him out.

So I'd be surprised if when it's all said and done that Smith and Carter weren't starting players, Murray wasn't at least as featured a RB as any other on the team, and we at least get a couple of role players with the later picks.

That's like outstanding for this team to get all that out of one draft class. I'd give it an A but there are too many injury concerns with these players. So B it is.

I do wonder how Bruce Carter fits in a 3-4. Seems like a classic 4-3 OLB to me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I do wonder how Bruce Carter fits in a 3-4. Seems like a classic 4-3 OLB to me.

I thought the same thing and thats why I didnt think we'd pick the guy, but the Steelers picked Lawrence Timmons from FSU a few years ago and he was a similar type player, they moved him to ILB and thats worked out well.

Top Bottom