C

Cr122

Updated: August 20, 2010, 1:30 PM
Familiar Faces
James and Brooking Provide Continuity At ILB
Joseph Garcia
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Phillips calls James and Brooking The Killer B's.

OXNARD, Calif. - Inside linebackers Bradie James and Keith Brooking are one-half of the Dallas Cowboys' linebacker corps which DeMarcus Ware and Co. call the "Four-Pack."

Throughout both veterans' careers, they have continually adapted to a different teammate playing alongside them - until Brooking joined forces with James in Dallas.

Since becoming a starter in 2005, James, with the exception of Akin Ayodele from 2006-2007, has played with different linebackers beside him each season. Along with Ayodele, past linebackers include Dat Nguyen, Scott Shanle, Ryan Fowler and Zach Thomas.

"It's great," said James, who has never missed a game due to injury in his eight-year career. "I'm fortunate to have an inside linebacker two consecutive years, I haven't had that in forever. We are a great tag-team punching. He is the best player I've played next to and I am trying to be the best player he has played next to."

Brooking had the opportunity to become familiar with Phillips before arriving on the scene in Dallas. He played for Phillips from 2002-2003 in Atlanta when the latter was the defensive coordinator-turned-interim head coach. Phillips took over for Dan Reeves in the Falcons' final three games of '03.

Brooking admitted there was a great deal of turnover at linebacker in his eight successive seasons as a starter in Atlanta's primarily 4-3 defense. He is more than happy to play next to James in Phillips' 3-4 scheme and believes he is a great player who is very consistent.

"I think the one quality you've got to have as a football player to stay in this league and be successful is consistency and when you think of Bradie James, you think of that," Brooking said. "He is very consistent; you know he is going to be there for you on every play."

Continuity is a word often tossed around in football circles. However, for the Cowboys defense, it is a matter of fact. Ten of 11 starters return to the lineup with only Alan Ball likely replacing Ken Hamlin, who the Cowboys released in the offseason. For James and Brooking specifically, the stability means just a little bit more.

"Having that continuity there between he (James) and I and having a year under our belt is very important," Brooking said. "Knowing a lot of our situations throughout the course of the game and our blitz packages and our run and pass coverage, we are playing off one another and we've got to know what the other one is doing."

James and Brooking were the Cowboys' leading tacklers in 2009. They headed a defense that allowed the fewest points in the NFC and did something the Cowboys have never done in the club's 50-year history - record back-to-back shutouts. Dallas blanked division rivals Washington and Philadelphia 17-0 and 24-0, respectively, to end the regular season.

Brooking said this year's defense is the most talented he has ever been on - by far - and trust is instrumental.

"Not trust amongst Bradie (James) and I," he said. "But trust amongst our whole defense, all 11 guys. That is extremely important."

James (eight) and Brooking (13) have a combined 21 years of NFL experience. The duo plans to take advantage of playing together for a second straight season.

"They are savvy enough and experienced enough to get the most out of playing beside each other," owner/general manager Jerry Jones said.

"The nuances of knowing how the other one thinks and plays, that's as much as anything where this team is going to benefit because on given situations they have some experience now in handling those situations. Communication is obviously enhanced the way they play together, so that's good."

Aside from enjoying playing alongside one another, the "Killer B's" - as Wade Phillips likes to call them - share the same goal and are willing to put in the labor to get there.

"That's why we are out here working," James said. "That's why we travel these many miles to put it all together on the field. That's really what it's about.

"We have fun out there. I know where he is going to be, I know he is going to give me his all, I'm going to give him my all. Everybody else, the front seven, helps us do our job."

Brooking was a rookie in 1998 when the Atlanta Falcons went to the Super Bowl. At age 34, the five-time Pro Bowler knows the window of opportunity for him to reappear in the "Big Game" is closing rapidly.

"The window is now," Brooking said. "And we have to take advantage of that."

He has James to help him get there.

Top Bottom