dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cowboys' Tony Romo takes 11-on-11 snaps for first time since injury

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo took 11-on-11 snaps on Thursday for the first time since suffering a compression fracture in his back on Aug. 25.

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said Romo took one team period with the scout team working against the Cowboys' first-team defense, as well as all of the scout-team seven-on-seven snaps. Linehan said Romo was on something of a pass count and will remain on one as he continues to get back into form.

Tony Romo isn't ready to return to the starting lineup just yet, but he took a step forward during Thursday's practice. Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images

"My vantage point is he looks like he gets better each day, gets stronger and looks like he feels better," Linehan said. "But I couldn't really speak on how someone feels. I know how they look and he looks better daily."

Thursday is the 10-week mark since Romo was injured on a hit from Seattle Seahawks defensive end Cliff Avril. At the time of the diagnosis, he was given a six to 10 week recovery period. Dak Prescott will start Sunday at the Cleveland Browns, but the Cowboys are not sure if Romo will be ready Nov. 13 against the host Pittsburgh Steelers or what role he would play if he can suit up.

Linehan said Romo's throwing will increase incrementally.

"Tony and I will have a discussion each day as to what those numbers are," Linehan said. "Our Thursdays are different than Wednesdays and Fridays ... but trying to get all of the seven-on-seven for right now with the show team and then just see how many throws. On a Wednesday he'll probably throw more on individual. He couldn't this week because he didn't throw on Wednesday. He threw a lot on Monday and Tuesday so we wanted to work him pretty good today and hopefully tomorrow with the same deal. We'll just see how he feels, gets up that day and feels better, let's add a period or add five throws or whatever it is."

Dez Bryant and Jason Witten came away impressed.

"Looked like he was throwing little missiles," Bryant said. "He was drilling it."

Said Witten, "He's working his way back. He looked sharp ... I know he's doing what he has to do and working and it was good to see him out there in the beginning and throughout the practice. I know he's excited."

Romo took part in a limited part of one practice last week, throwing only scout-team seven-on-seven drills. He has been throwing for weeks but has stepped up his conditioning work recently once the broken bone had healed.

Because of the time needed for the bone to heal, Romo was not able to do as much core work that has been part of his daily regiment since undergoing two back surgeries in 2013.

"He's been working, I'll give him that," Bryant joked. "He lost some weight. I thought I seen a couple abs on him. One or two."

Top Bottom