dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So yesterday after Jones said he wasnt ready to name Murray a "starter", Garrett told him "Jones is the backup" and today, Jerry can speak.

Owner: Felix Jones to back up Murray

By Tim MacMahon
ESPNDallas.com

The Dallas Cowboys expect Felix Jones to return Sunday after a four-game absence, but not as the team's primary running back.

Owner/general manager Jerry Jones indicated during a radio appearance Tuesday that rookie DeMarco Murray, who has been a dominant force while Felix Jones was sidelined with a high ankle sprain, would continue to get the bulk of the carries.

"One thing that comes to my mind is that Murray looks like the more he carries, the more effective he gets," Jerry Jones said on KRLD-FM. "You think of that theoretically about a workhorse running back, that they get better as the game goes along.

"On the other hand, Felix -- and this is not negative in any way -- but Felix has always been a guy that looks like the best way for him to be his best is to inject him in spots. So we may have a guy here in Murray and we may have a guy here in Felix who can step in there 12, 13 times a ballgame and really have a chance to break it."

Murray, a third-round draft pick, has rushed for 601 yards in Felix Jones' absence, setting a franchise record for a four-game span while the Cowboys went 3-1. He has three 100-yard games, including a 253-yard breakout performance against the St. Louis Rams that broke Emmitt Smith's franchise record.

By comparison, Jones rushed for 253 yards on 63 carries during the Cowboys' 2-3 start. Jones, a first-round pick in 2008, has two 100-yard rushing games in his career.

The Cowboys drafted Jones, who played in Darren McFadden's shadow at Arkansas, to be a change-of-pace back. They picked him instead of Rashard Mendenhall because they believed Jones' style and explosiveness made him a better complement to Marion Barber, whom the Cowboys had signed to a seven-year, $45 million extension weeks before that draft.

Jones flourished in the role, rushing for 951 yards on 146 carries (6.5 per carry) during his injury-plagued first and second seasons. He hasn't been nearly as explosive since becoming the Cowboys' lead back, a shift that occurred last season because of the ineffectiveness of Barber, who was released this summer.

It makes sense to use Jones in a complementary role with Murray continuing to get the bulk of the work, although coach Jason Garrett has been tight-lipped about how he intends to use his backs, unlike his much more forthcoming boss.

"We just want to get (Jones) back into action," Garrett said Monday. "He's been a really good football player for us the past few years, a dynamic player both in the run game and the pass games. We just want to get him some touches."

Tim MacMahon covers the Cowboys for ESPNDallas.com.

Last edited:
C

Cr122

Adding Jones to the mix only makes us better on offense. As long as he stays healthy he'll be a nice complimentary back to Murray.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Adding Jones to the mix only makes us better on offense. As long as he stays healthy he'll be a nice complimentary back to Murray.

Its his ideal role. He'll be an asset to the offense once he's healthy. It also gives us a legit guy to spell Murray some and keep him from wearing down for December/January.

Reaction score
Its his ideal role. He'll be an asset to the offense once he's healthy. It also gives us a legit guy to spell Murray some and keep him from wearing down for December/January.

There's a thread on CZ right now of people wanting to wear Murray down until he dies.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I hope this does not mean with Jones coming back, that we will deactivate Tanner. I like a backfield of Murray, Jones, Tanner, and Fiametta.

Reaction score
There's a thread on CZ right now of people wanting to wear Murray down until he dies.

You are using a straw man argument. Not a single person said to run him till he dies. Many comments that were posted in that thread suggest to using him in moderation. Me personally, i want to keep doing what’s working (20+ carries). Why change once Felix gets back? To me, that would idiotic. “It’s not broken, change it anyways!”

I am no fan of Zrinkill but then you used an ad hominem to attack his argument. Come on man.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Years of experience there.

Yes, but what is your criteria? Low IQ as in football knowledge? They disagree with you?

I would like to see the “higher” IQ opinions expressed on this forum. I kindof think some posters here are afraid to get into real football disagreements. I like that you are talking football but it doesn’t appear to be very common. Kindof wish there was more.

Reaction score
You are using a straw man argument. Not a single person said to run him till he dies. Many comments that were posted in that thread suggest to using him in moderation. Me personally, i want to keep doing what’s working (20+ carries). Why change once Felix gets back? To me, that would idiotic. “It’s not broken, change it anyways!”

I am no fan of Zrinkill but then you used an ad hominem to attack his argument. Come on man.

I was pretty much referring to the arguments suggesting that we use him for 20+ carries. It would make sense without Felix bc we'd have no choice, but I think we have enough bench talent to take off some of that load.

Someone else in that thread pointed out what happened to guys like Larry Johnson and Jamaal Anderson. Portis is another decent example. I think Chris Johnson's fall-off is simply bc he's a bitch that got paid, but there are lots more examples of RBs burning out and dying off than guys like Emmitt Smith lasting for years and years. If Murray is good as we all think and hope he is, than I do not wanna burn him out during a season where Felix is serviceable enough to take 10 carries of the load. Felix is certainly no Choice.

On a side note, Zrinkill/Radu/Benson or whatever the fuck he calls himself is a bitch.

C

Cr122

Murray has solid agility and start and stop ability. He also has great quickness and long speed and vision. This is a kid who ran a 4.41 at the combine. Home run ability back.

This kid is most definitely #1 back in this league. They said he had a weak upper body. Yeah, they were wrong. They also said he would fumble the ball at the next level. He fumbled what, 1 time? Hilarious. Some of the scouts said he couldn't run after contact. Wrong again. Some of you guys who think he isn't going to be an elite back in this league are wrong so far.

What else does he have to prove to be a #1 back? Jon88?

Reaction score
I was pretty much referring to the arguments suggesting that we use him for 20+ carries. It would make sense without Felix bc we'd have no choice, but I think we have enough bench talent to take off some of that load.

Someone else in that thread pointed out what happened to guys like Larry Johnson and Jamaal Anderson. Portis is another decent example. I think Chris Johnson's fall-off is simply bc he's a bitch that got paid, but there are lots more examples of RBs burning out and dying off than guys like Emmitt Smith lasting for years and years. If Murray is good as we all think and hope he is, than I do not wanna burn him out during a season where Felix is serviceable enough to take 10 carries of the load. Felix is certainly no Choice.

So limit Murray and his production because you fear wearing him out? You provide negative examples but there are examples on the other side. Adrian Peterson, Jones Drew, ect. Running backs have short careers. Just the way it is. Some guys can handle a heavy load (shit joke) and some can’t. Murray has proven he can. I don’t understand why you would protect him from something he can handle.

On a side note, Zrinkill/Radu/Benson or whatever the fuck he calls himself is a bitch.

Sure and i agree. I just wouldn’t insult someone during an argument just because they disagree with you.

Top Bottom