sbk92

Reaction score
Janoris Jenkins stands up to A.J. Green

By Kevin Weidl

I was in Jacksonville, Fla., for the SEC East matchup between Florida and Georgia, a game that was filled with NFL prospects and featured one of the top individual matchups of the season.

Here are the prospects who stood out most for both teams, listed in order of their current Scouts Inc. draft grade.

Florida CB Janoris Jenkins (Grade: 94) vs. Georgia WR A.J. Green (Grade: 96)
Jenkins was able to get the best of Green for most of the day, starting with an interception on Georgia's first offensive play of the game. Jenkins was in zone-bail technique and did a great job reading the quick three-step drop of QB Aaron Murray, cutting underneath Green on a hitch route and picking off the pass.

Green rose up at the top of his stem and could have done a better job selling the route on the interception, and Jenkins used his quick feet and change-of-direction skills to limit Green's separation on most other short-to-intermediate routes. Green was able to run by Jenkins on a few longer routes, though, utilizing double moves within his stem to get Jenkins to turn his hips, and showing an extra gear to run by him on both a post and outside go route.

On the whole I give the edge to Jenkins. Green did catch a late touchdown that was thrown into triple coverage, but overall he was held in check and ended the day with just four catches for 42 yards.

Coming into the game I was interested to see how Jenkins would hold up in the face of his toughest challenge of the season and he passed the test with flying colors. What stood out most was his ability to quickly plant and drive from zone-bail technique. His feet are always under him and he has excellent balance as a result, and he was also able to turn and run with Green when aligned in press technique.

Top-end speed remains a question and Jenkins lacks elite size, but after seeing him and the other top corners on our board -- No. 1 Patrick Peterson and No. 2 Prince Amukamara -- play in person I can safely say Peterson is a notch above the others but that Jenkins has the tools to immediately challenge for a starting job in the NFL.

As for Green, his long frame is thicker and more defined than I anticipated and what I saw against Florida only reinforced my belief that he is hands-down the top wide receiver prospect in the nation. He has very loose hips and is light-years ahead of Alabama's Julio Jones and Pittsburgh's Jonathan Baldwin in terms of route-running savvy to set up and separate from defenders.

Green lacks elite quick-twitch elusiveness but has the top-end speed to exploit creases after the catch, and he also showed a nasty straight-arm as a runner. He did not have a big day in terms of production but Murray did not see him breaking open at times and flat-out missed the mark on a few occasions when Green had separated. Overall, Green is the rare wide receiver prospect worthy of an early first-round grade.

Florida C/G Mike Pouncey -- Grade: 80
Pouncey turned in a nice performance against the Bulldogs. I like his ability to quickly snap and step and he was consistently in position as a run blocker. He did a nice job moving his feet and keeping them underneath him when engaged, but I do question whether he has the inline power and overall base that made his twin brother Maurkice a first-round pick last year.

Mike was impressive in pass pro, though, displaying good lateral mobility and hand use and the ability to sink and anchor against power moves. Mike is not worthy of a first-round grade right now but does look like a solid second-rounder who can develop into an adequate starter at the next level.

Georgia G Clint Boling -- Grade: 79
Boling lined up at right guard most of the night, and while he took good angles and was able to get into solid initial position I question his overall power base when caught in a phone booth. I did like his athleticism and ability to identify and get to targets at the second level both on combo blocks and when pulling down the line of scrimmage. He also showed good short-area quickness with his pass sets and proper hand use. Boling has been used as both a tackle and guard this year but at this point he looks like a better fit inside and as such will bring good value as a midround pick.

Georgia CB Brandon Boykin -- Grade: 78
I was impressed with Boykin's athleticism and top-end speed. He shows the fluidity to hold up in man coverage and on several occasions used his hands well to disrupt the receiver's release. Boykin struggled a bit with awareness and was caught out of position at times, and he could take better angles and break down more effectively as an open-field tackler. However, he showed the raw tools and versatility to hold up against slot receivers as a nickelback and contribute as a returner and gunner on special teams, and that makes him a fringe-second-round prospect at this point.

Florida S Ahmad Black -- Grade: 75
Black is an undersized prospect with a thin frame (5-9, 190 pounds) but he is a heck of a player. He is the quarterback of the secondary and is always around the ball. He is elite in terms of recognition and angles, and while Black lacks ideal ammunition he is not afraid to throw his weight around and is an aggressive and fundamentally sound tackler.

Black had 12 tackles (two for losses) against Georgia, including a sack that resulted in a forced fumble and a turnover. His lack of size will certainly hurt his stock but I still believe he brings good value as a fringe Day 2 pick who can contribute as a utility sub-package reserve and non-returner on special teams.

Florida S Will Hill -- Grade: 67
Hill came up with two interceptions, including a critical pick in overtime, and his size (6-1, 210), athleticism and overall range give him a high ceiling. However, after seeing him in person, the questions that arose during preseason film study are still there.

He is aggressive filling downhill against the run and flashed ability to deliver a big hit, but Hill takes too long to diagnose plays and is often late to the party. He also gets caught peeking into the backfield too often, and a 63-yard touchdown run by Georgia WR Tavarres King was a perfect example. Hill failed to hold his water on a play-fake and was out of position, which opened up the middle of the field for King. At this point Hill is still failing to live up to his considerable potential and remains a midround prospect in my mind.

Florida OT Marcus Gilbert -- Grade 53
There's a lot to like about Gilbert's frame (6-5, 320) and athleticism. He was light on his feet and did a good job of using his length to ride rushers past the pocket. The concerns I have with Gilbert are his lack of technique with his footwork and overall anchor in pass pro. This was magnified during the first quarter when Gilbert over-set and DE Demarcus Dobbs beat him back inside for a sack. Gilbert has natural tools and his flaws are correctable with proper coaching, so he grades out as a midround pick.

Georgia FB Shaun Chapas -- Grade: 32
Chapas is a bit undersized and lacks elite point-of-attack skills, but he was aggressive as a lead blocker and displayed excellent technique. He moved his feet well and sustained blocks, and while Chapas lacks elite size his versatility as a receiver and special-teams contributor make him worthy of late-round consideration.

Georgia ILB Akeem Dent -- Grade: 30
Dent was around the ball all night and his instincts are up to par, but I have concerns about his range and pursuit angles. He looked tight in space and struggled to drop his weight when having to redirect quickly. This was evident on an outside run play when Dent was buckled by a stutter move from Florida RB Jeff Demps around the edge. This lack of athleticism and elite instincts make him a late-round or free-agent prospect.

Georgia OLB/DE Justin Houston
During film study prepping for the game I was impressed with Houston's quick get-off and strength as a pass-rusher, and he did not disappoint on the field. Houston was consistently able to gain the edge, used his hands well and flashed finishing power. His half-sack in the first half gives him 9.5 on the season, and while he needs some refining in terms of instincts and setting the edge as a run defender, the junior is turning heads in scouting circles and is a player to keep an eye on moving forward.

sbk92

Reaction score
Week 9 up-and-down for OT Nate Solder

By Steve Muench

One of the great truisms in football is that success begins up front on the line of scrimmage. With that in mind I kept an eye on three top interior prospects in Week 9 and came away with varying impressions.

Colorado OT Nate Solder vs. Oklahoma
Solder entered the season with a mid-first round grade but some clear holes in his game have dropped him down the board a bit.

For starters, he plays too high. Solder drove his feet and engulfed Sooners DE Frank Alexander more often that not, but he outweighs Alexander by nearly 50 pounds and won't be able to root power ends off the ball in the NFL unless he plays with better leverage. He also struggles to sink his hips in his pass set and gave too much ground to Alexander at times.

However, Solder is athletic and tough and is an effective zone blocker who can cover up athletic linebackers like Oklahoma's Travis Lewis at the second level. He also did not get beaten around the corner against the Sooners, and because of those strengths Solder remains a late-first or early-second round prospect.

Iowa DT/DE Christian Ballard vs. Michigan State
Ballard didn't put up great numbers against the Spartans and is frequently overshadowed by his fellow defensive linemen, but he weighs 296 pounds and his speed jumped out on two plays.

The first was CB Shaun Prater's second-quarter interception. Ballard lined up at left end and drew three blockers at the snap of the ball, but he held his ground and shadowed Michigan State QB Kirk Cousins. After the interception he turned into a blocker and accelerated so quickly he nearly kept pace with Prater.

The second play came on the Spartans final drive of the first half with Ballard again lined up at left end. Michigan State ran away from Ballard but failed to seal the back side. Ballard took advantage and closed so quickly that he wrapped RB Larry Caper up before Caper could cross the line of scrimmage, and he threw Caper to the ground hard enough to knock the ball loose.

Given his upside and ability to line up at end or tackle it's easy to see why Ballard has gone from an off-the-radar prospect to a possible second-rounder.

USC DT Jurrell Casey vs. Oregon
The breakneck pace of the Oregon offense appeared to wear Casey down at times but he never gave up on a play. He simply just appeared a step quicker when he was fresh.

Casey is a stout run defender who can get off blocks and his active, violent hands stood out throughout the game. He isn't a great athlete and lacks ideal closing speed but Casey got good push up the middle and pressured Ducks QB Darron Thomas on occasion. He also showed above-average focus and surprisingly strong hands when he picked off a tipped pass on Oregon's first drive in the second half. All of that illustrates why Casey projects as a second-round pick at this point.

sbk92

Reaction score
TCU QB Andy Dalton has an NFL future

By Steve Muench

There's a lot of talk about the schedules the non-AQ teams in the national championship hunt have played to this point, but the lack of elite opponents doesn't mean the talent level for teams like Utah and TCU is lacking.

Here's a look at the NFL prospects I'll be keeping an eye on when the Utes and Horned Frogs face off on Saturday.

TCU OT/G Marcus Cannon
Cannon lines up at left tackle for the Horned Frogs but is a better fit at guard, where he occupies the No, 3 slot on our board. Cannon has quick feet for a 361-pounder but not quick enough to consistently ride NFL edge rushers past the pocket. However, he does have the frame, agility and power to develop into a starter at guard so Cannon grades out as a third-round guard prospect.

TCU WR Jeremy Kerley
Kerley (5-9, 189 pounds) isn't big enough to regularly line up on the outside in the NFL and he lacks ideal top-end speed. However, he projects as a middle-round pick thanks to shifty open-field running skills, including the quickness to shake defenders in space. Kerley has the potential to develop into a productive slot receiver at the next level.

Utah G Caleb Schlauderaff
Schlauderaff is a blue-collar player who almost always finds a way to get the job done. He isn't a great athlete and doesn't slide his feet particularly well in pass protection, but he gets sound hand placement and doesn't give much ground once locked on. Though he fits best on a team that features a downhill ground game Schlauderaff has improved his footwork and made strides as a zone blocker this this season, and he gets a mid-round grade at this point.

TCU QB Andy Dalton
Dalton is just 6-foot-1, doesn't have a cannon for an arm and TCU's spread scheme simplifies his reads, so it may take him some time to adjust to a pro-style offense. He still projects as a fifth-round pick, though, because he the potential to develop into an effective game manager and backup in the NFL. Dalton is a four-year starter who has improved every season, is tough and makes sound decisions, and he has above-average accuracy.

Utah C Zane Taylor
Taylor doesn't generate enough push as a drive blocker and he's top-heavy in pass protection, making him vulnerable to push-pull moves. He projects as a late-round because of his potential to develop into a quality backup. He has the quick first step to establish sound initial position as a run blocker and he fights to hold his ground in pass protection.

sbk92

Reaction score
Injury still hampering Ryan Williams

By Kevin Weidl

Thursday night's game between Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech featured a trio of pro prospects taking the field for the Hokies, and here's what I took away from the game in terms of each player's draft stock.

RB Ryan Williams -- Grade: 87
It's clear to me that Williams is still hampered by the hamstring injury that cost him four whole games and parts of another earlier this season. He just seems to be lacking the same juice and explosion we saw on last year's film. There's no denying his size (5-foot-10, 210 pounds) and the numbers he put up last season (1,655 yards, 21 TD), and when Williams is healthy he is a powerful, downhill runner who can get in and out of traffic and finishes carries.

He entered this season with a first-round grade but has slipped into the second round at this point, and he has a tough decision to make about his future. Running backs have a short shelf life and durability has become an issue, Williams is now sharing carries with Darren Evans and David Wilson. Does he bolt for the NFL or come back to Blacksburg next year to once again position himself as a solid first-round pick?

CB Rashad Carmichael -- Grade: 79
Carmichael made the play of the game against the Yellow Jackets, intercepting a pass in the end zone on Georgia Tech's final play of the game to seal the victory. He did a nice job recovering on a post-corner route after initially getting caught peeking in the backfield, flipping his hips and getting back into position before turning his head and securing the pick.

However, his lack of size showed up earlier in the same drive when he was in position to make a play on second-and-15 from the Georgia Tech 25-yard line. Carmichael was boxed out by the bigger Kevin Cone and could not get to the ball, and he was beaten for a 38-yard gain. His problems against bigger wideouts will be an issue in the NFL but Carmichael has enough top-end speed and fluidity to contribute as a sub-package nickel back and bring good value in the middle rounds.

QB Tyrod Taylor -- Scouts Inc. grade: 45
Taylor is a gifted athlete who can create plays with his legs but I have a lot of concerns about him as a passer. The first thing that jumps out is his lack of pocket presence when his first read is taken away. Taylor lacks the poise and composure to stay in the pocket and go through his progressions when his first option is taken away. He bails on plays too quickly, and even when he does stay in the pocket he tends to make questionable decisions.

A perfect example came on a third-and-goal play early in the second quarter when Taylor was given several seconds to scan the field from within the pocket. He shuffled nervously while trying to find a receiver, and rather than tucking and running or simply throwing the ball away Taylor forced a throw to the back of the end zone that was behind his intended receiver and was picked off. He also short-hopped a wide-open receiver on a comeback route at one point, increasing concerns about his accuracy on even the most routine throws.

Taylor grades out at a late-round prospect at this point and might even end up as a priority free agent given his inability to go through progressions, spotty accuracy, careless decision making and lack of prototypical size (6-1, 216).

Mallett under the microscope

I'll be in attendance when Arkansas and South Carolina take the field this weekend and will be watching Razorbacks QB Ryan Mallett closely. Mallett has improved his accuracy since his second-half implosion against Alabama, and while he will panic at times and throw into coverage when facing pressure I think he has more pocket savvy than most people give him credit for.

I'm most interested to see how he handles South Carolina's pressure packages. Game****s DEs Cliff Matthews and Devin Taylor are very disruptive off the edge and defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward brings a good zone blitz package to the table. There's no doubt Mallet has the size, arm strength and silky-smooth release NFL teams covet, but his composure will be under scrutiny and given question about his leadership and maturity I'll also be watching his body language and demeanor throughout the game.

Arkansas OT Demarcus Love will also play a big part in the game. Love is not the smoothest athlete but has the size (6-4 ½, 313), strength and inline power base to give Matthews problems in the running game. Matthews does not have an elite anchor and will get engulfed in phone booth situations against Love, but he could give Love some problems in the passing game.

Matthews has a high motor and shows effective spin and swim moves after setting offensive tackles up to the outside, and Love struggles to redirect against double moves at times. However, Matthews is a bit tight and mechanical in the upper body and if Love can get position he'll use a strong initial punch and his power base to keep Matthews at bay.

sbk92

Reaction score
Things looking up for Ryan Mallett

By Kevin Weidl

I was in attendance for Arkansas' 41-20 win at South Carolina and came away very impressed with Razorbacks QB Ryan Mallett. Here's what I saw from Mallett and a handful of other prospects who took the field for the Razorbacks and Game****s.

There is no question Mallett has all the physical tools to succeed in the NFL. He stands nearly 6-foot-7 and his arm strength and release are exceptional. He can drive the ball downfield -- as he did on a long completion down the right sideline to WR Jarius Wright -- and the ball jumps out of his hand and cuts through the air effortlessly. He also throws with good balance and against the Game****s showed good touch, particularly on intermediate-to-deep throws.

Mallett stands tall and scans the field from within the pocket, and after watching him work from one side of the field to the other and get to his third read on several occasions it's clear he does his homework and knows where to go with the ball. And while he is not the most mobile quarterback in the nation he is more pocket savvy than most give him credit for. Mallett showed the ability to sidestep South Carolina's interior pass rushers and step up to avoid defenders coming off the edge, and he kept his eyes downfield while buying time.

He could improve in terms of recognizing where blitz pressure is coming from, though. Mallett got into a few sticky spots and took some shots from defenders but he did show improvement in terms of getting rid of the ball and avoiding negative plays, and he did not force throws into coverage.

And while there have been whispers about Mallett's intangibles and leadership, I watched his body language and demeanor closely and saw nothing concerning. He was constantly encouraging teammates, did not hang his head after bad plays and seemed to be a team player throughout the night.

Mallett is the No. 3 quarterback on our board right now and it will be interesting to see if he can close the gap between himself and Washington's Jake Locker, who has struggled most of the season with accuracy and injury issues.

Mallett might not jump Locker on our board or others, but his improvement will at least make for some interesting conversations if he continues to shine as the draft process moves forward. As it stands right now, though, Mallett is locking down a spot in the first round.

Arkansas OT Demarcus Love -- Scouts Inc. grade: 89
He's not the greatest athlete but Love has impressive overall strength and a good inline power base to move defenders in the running game. He is thick in the lower half and has the upper-body strength to lock up and control defenders when he gains initial position. Love needs to work on his first-step quickness and angles, though, and at one point he struggled to get outside and hook South Carolina DE Devin Taylor and ended up taking a holding call.

Love gets off-balance at times in pass protection, especially when he has to redirect against double moves, but he has a good anchor and strong punch in protection and can hold his own against most rushers. He is better-suited as a right tackle in the NFL because of his lack of athleticism and that will hurt his grade, but Love is still an intriguing second-round prospect.

South Carolina DE Cliff Matthews -- Grade: 78
A high-motor player who hustles to the ball and never takes a play off, Matthews plays with good leverage and uses his long arms and big hands well when taking on blockers. He has a bit of a narrow frame, though, and was engulfed by Love at times in the run game.

Matthews is also stiff in the upper body and struggles to counter when he can't get the edge as a pass rusher, and while he shows good spin and swim moves at times you would like to see him be more fluid. He can reduce inside and use his hand to disengage at times, but overall Matthews' lack of elite pass rush skills make him a fringe-Day 2 prospect.

Arkansas TE D.J. Williams -- Grade: 69
An undersized prospect (6-2, 239) who will be an H-back in the NFL, Williams shows good savvy in his route running and knows how to find soft spots in zone coverage. He showed off his sideline awareness against South Carolina, and while he is not the quickest or fastest player Williams did show a good spin move to pick up some yards after the catch.

He also did an excellent job of working to open spots and presenting a target when Mallett was buying time on a big third-down play in the first half. Williams has the tools to contribute in the passing game in the NFL and overall he will bring good value in the late-third or early-fourth round area.

South Carolina OT Jarriel King -- Grade: 69
King began his career as a defensive lineman and came into this season with only two years of experience on the offensive line, and his technique and footwork definitely need some refining. He has great natural strength as a run blocker and the core strength to sink his hips and anchor against bull-rushers when he gets into position in pass protection, but his initial steps need work and he struggled to keep his feet moving against counter moves.

King certainly has the physical tools to become an effective player at the next level but he will likely settle into the middle rounds because of the coaching he will need in order to develop his game.

South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery
Just a true sophomore, Jeffery is the leader of a big, physical South Carolina wide receiver corps that looks more like a bunch of tight ends. Arkansas had no answer for the 6-4, 230-pound Jeffery, who along with his impressive size showed the ability to set up defenders in his routes and flashed elite body control when going after the ball.

He made catches in traffic over the middle and the most impressive play he made against the Razorbacks was a one-handed grab in the second quarter, reaching up and stabbing the ball while headed toward the sideline on a flag route and holding onto the ball while being jostled to the ground by a defender.

Jeffery has impressive tools and savvy beyond his years, and he has already positioned himself as one of the top draft-eligible prospects in the 2012 class.

sbk92

Reaction score
Jerrel Jernigan's versatility is an asset

By Steve Muench

Oakland Raiders' 2010 fourth-round pick Jacoby Ford returned a kickoff 94 yards for a touchdown and caught six passes for 148 yards in a 23-20 overtime win over Kansas City in Week 9, in what was Ford's first significant action of the season.

He has excellent top-end speed so the big plays don't surprise us, and while he needs to continue to work on his ball skills Ford has shown he can make the tough catches in traffic.

Three similarly-unheralded receivers are making noise in the college ranks with their versatility and could offer good value for the teams that draft them. Here's how I break them down:

Jerrel Jernigan, Troy
Jernigan is undersized (5-foot-9, 183 pounds) like Ford and will sometimes drop passes he should catch, but Jernigan also has the same kind of top-end speed Ford exhibits. Jernigan is fast enough to get behind most NFL corners when he doesn't get slowed down at the line of scrimmage.

His ability to make defenders miss after the catch and as a returner makes Jernigan an even greater threat with the ball in his hands. He has also returned both a punt and kickoff for a touchdown this season so there's also a lot to like about his versatility in the return game. All that makes Jernigan a late-second or early-third round prospect at this point.

Ronald Johnson, USC
Johnson has been more effective on punt returns than kickoffs this year, but he's still a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball. Though he doesn't have elite open-field elusiveness he is shifty enough to make the first defender miss and can turn on the jets when he gets a seam. Johnson also tracks the ball well and has the second gear to run under deep balls. He carries a late-third or early-fourth round pick right now.

Jeremy Kerley, TCU
Kerley isn't as fast as Jernigan or Johnson but he has the initial burst to separate from underneath man coverage as a receiver and hit creases going full speed as a return man. Kerley also shows above-average vision and can ruin pursuit angles by quickly changing directions/speeds when he gets into space.

It's unlikely he will develop into a starter on the outside but can be effective working out of the slot and in the return game and projects as a mid-round pick.

sbk92

Reaction score
Andrew Luck's pro-style skills a benefit

By Steve Muench

The explosion of shotgun-heavy spread offenses that simplify reads and set the table for quarterbacks to post big numbers makes for an entertaining product at the college level, but it makes it harder for NFL scouts to evaluate quarterbacks.

Organizations have to decide whether the scheme or the player is most responsible for the production, and teams will get burned if they make the wrong determination. First-round busts like Joey Harrington (No. 3 overall, 2002, Detroit) and Kyle Boller (No. 19 overall, 2003, Baltimore) are perfect examples of quarterbacks who played in passer-friendly systems in college but could not transition well to the next level.

Stanford's Andrew Luck, on the other hand, plays in a pro-style system under head coach and former NFL quarterback Jim Harbaugh, and that's part of the reason he sits atop Scouts Inc.'s 2011 draft board.

Luck has prototypical size, pocket mobility and excellent arm strength, but that he is comfortable reading defenses as he drops and gets through his progressions in two-receiver sets carries a lot of weight with NFL scouts, and the quick strides he has made running Harbaugh's offense over the past two seasons are impressive.

Washington QB Jake Locker, who is the No. 2 quarterback on the board, runs a pro-style offense too but with two key differences. Huskies coach Steve Sarkisian tweaked his scheme to make the most of Locker's mobility, which means Locker rolls out and runs more designed keepers than most NFL quarterbacks. Locker also has not improved as steadily as Luck. He throws the ball into coverage too often and is sometimes too quick to bail on the play in favor of tucking the ball and running.

As for Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett, he is operating coach Bobby Petrino's wide-open scheme efficiently and should be able to avoid the "system quarterback" label. Mallett lined up under center early in his career at Michigan, and with his 6-foot-6 frame he can scan the field from within the pocket and check down to his second or third read when necessary.

Mallett also does a nice job of selling play fakes, but he comes in behind Luck and Locker because of his lack of pocket mobility and whispers about a perceived lack of maturity and intangibles.

In the end, the three quarterbacks above have a leg up in the draft process because of the pro-style skills they have shown during their careers. Missouri's Blaine Gabbert has the frame, arm and intangibles of a future NFL starter, but playing in the Tigers' spread offense means he will face a tougher adjustment in the NFL, and that puts him in line behind the top three.

sbk92

Reaction score
Jonathan Baldwin's hands could save him

By Kevin Weidl

Pittsburgh suffered a 30-28 loss at Connecticut on Thursday night, but more important to me was what I took away from the performances of four NFL prospects who took the field for the Panthers.

WR Jonathan Baldwin -- Scouts Inc. grade: 89
There are no questions about Baldwin's size (6-foot-4⅝, 224 pounds), athleticism, body control and hands. He has deceptive top-end speed, tracks the deep ball better than any other wideout in the nation with the exception of Georgia's A.J. Green and showed all of those skills on a fourth-quarter touchdown catch.

Baldwin got behind the coverage in the red zone and QB Tino Sunseri floated the ball to the back corner of the end zone. Baldwin showed great focus bringing the ball down and managing to get his right foot down before sliding out of bounds.

However, Baldwin did little to ease concerns about his route-running skills. We've mentioned before that he struggles to drop his weight getting in and out of breaks, and at one point against Connecticut he was unable to throttle down fully at the top of a stop route and gave away his intentions. He won't get away with that at the NFL level. And while Baldwin showed better effort as a run-blocker the lack of polish in his routes could keep him out of the first round.

DE Jabaal Sheard -- Grade: 80
What I saw from Sheard against the Huskies only reinforced the impression I got when I saw his dominating performance against Miami in person. Sheard is a physical player who comes off the ball hard and shows a powerful punch, and he is a high-motor guy who can get to the outside of offensive tackles and bend back to the quarterback. He shows the ability to counter inside as a pass-rusher and holds the point well against the run.

Concerns about an offseason altercation at a bar have eased because the incident is not part of a pattern and Sheard was sticking up for a teammate, and that he continued to produce while Romeus was out has helped his stock. He is a bit tight and struggles at times to change directions, but overall Sheard looks like the perfect fit at rush end in a 3-4 scheme, and his stock is rising into the second-round conversation.

OT Jason Pinkston -- Grade: 79
Because he lacks ideal length to play left tackle and the technique and toughness to be a left tackle in the NFL, Pinkston is likely a better fit at guard at the next level. He showed some inline power against the Huskies, engaging defenders in the phone booth and getting some movement, and he is athletic enough to pull around the edge and pick up twists and stunts.

Pinkston struggles at times to change direction, though, and because he is not a natural knee-bender he plays too high at times. That showed up against UConn as he struggled to redirect against an inside move and was beaten cleanly. There are whispers in scouting circles that he is an underachiever, because he's not a hard-worker in the weight room.

Pinkston is on the fringe of the second round right now and could stay there because of his natural talent, but don't be surprised if he slides down the board as the draft process continues.

DE Greg Romeus -- Grade: 75
We gave Romeus a second-round grade coming into the season, but he suffered a back injury in the opener against Utah that required surgery. The Connecticut game was his first since the injury, and it's clear Romeus, who also missed some time during fall camp, is rusty and not in game shape. He was not nearly as effective as a pass-rusher compared to the player we saw on last year's film, and he played limited snaps as he began working his way back.

However, he still plays with great leverage against the run and used his long arms well when locking out blockers, and he showed good hustle getting down the line at one point to chase down a toss play. Romeus has three regular-season games and likely a bowl game in which to produce some good film and show scouts he can return to his 2009 form, and while he's slipped a bit because of durability concerns he could definitely get back into the second-round mix if he fully recovers.

C

Cr122

No, to Pinkston I don't want anymore project players or linemen with issues to play the tackle positions.

There's some good tackles and guards that can start from day one in the NFL in this next coming draft.

sbk92

Reaction score
Terrelle Pryor made the right choice

By Kevin Weidl

Ohio State junior QB Terrelle Pryor announced last week that he intends to return to school for his senior year, and Pryor is making the right decision. He is a tremendous athlete and has made strides during his first two-plus years with the Buckeyes, but Pryor is not close to where he needs to be as a passer to succeed in the NFL.

He has improved in terms of staying in the pocket and working through his progressions -- being more of a pocket quarterback rather than just an athlete -- but he has a long way to go in terms of overall accuracy and touch. Pryor too often misses the mark on short-to-intermediate throws, forcing his receivers to adjust to balls outside their frame and taking them out of position to maximize run-after-catch opportunities.

Pryor makes questionable decisions at times, throwing into coverage in an effort to make something happen, and both of his weaknesses showed up at key times in Ohio State's upset loss at Wisconsin. That film alone would have hurt his stock, and with another year to develop his mechanics, accuracy and decision-making Pryor can make the most of his considerable physical tools and make a big splash with NFL scouts during the 2011 college season.

Pryor is not the only prospect facing a stay-or-go decision right now. Here's how I see four other draft-eligible prospects who should make the same choice as Pryor.

Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert
We gave Gabbert a high-second round grade coming into the season, but he has not looked as good as expected, and his poise is the biggest concern at this point. Gabbert will often bail on plays when he feels pressure and his first read is taken away. He must improve his ability to sit in the pocket and sidestep or step up while keeping his eyes downfield. Gabbert struggles at times with touch and needs to learn to take something off his fastball when throwing intermediate passes over the middle.

Like Pryor, Gabbert has committed some costly mistakes this season and must become a better decision-maker. Gabbert runs well for a 6-foot-5, 240-pound quarterback and has a strong arm, and another year at the college level will help him clean up his game. Being part of the 2012 draft class would also get him out of the shadow of players such as Andrew Luck, Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett and perhaps even Cam Newton in this year's class.

There will always be concerns about Gabbert transitioning from Missouri's spread offense to a pro-style system, but coming back to school would give him a chance to answer the other questions and solidify his standing as the second-round prospect we have seen flashes of on film.

Florida S Will Hill
I saw Hill in person against Georgia, and there is no doubt he has the size and athleticism NFL teams look for. He can turn and run with receivers and has plenty of range in the back end. However, Hill is often a split second late diagnosing plays and as a result is often late getting to the ball. That is especially true in run support, and he is frozen and caught out of position at times on play-action.

Another year in college would help Hill develop his instincts and maturity and maximize his stock. He gets a mid-round grade at this point but could certainly improve his standing by getting better in terms of reads and recognition.

Boise State OT Nate Potter
He came into the season as our seventh-rated offensive tackle with a fringe-second grade, but Potter's performance to this point has been underwhelming to say the least. He is a bit heavy-footed and does not get into his sets quickly, so he has been exposed at times by speed off the edge and he struggles to redirect when pass-rushers throw double moves at him.

Potter struggles at times to stay low and anchor against bull-rushers, and because of those shortcomings we feel he projects as a guard at the next level. That move alone hurts his stock, and he would not be entering this year's draft process with much momentum. Coming back to school and spending another year in the weight room while refining his technique and footwork would help prove to NFL teams he can hold up at tackle and boost his stock.

Pittsburgh RB Dion Lewis
Lewis is a third-year sophomore who entered the year with plenty of buzz after rushing for 1,799 yards and 17 touchdowns in 2009, but things have not gone according to plan this season. Lewis has rushed for 556 yards through nine games and is splitting carries with Ray Graham, who some scouts feel is the more gifted of the two.

Lewis runs strong and does a good job using his vision to read blocks, but he lacks elite size and burst and needs to work on getting vertical more quickly. He carries a fourth-round grade at this point, and there is little question he needs more seasoning before considering a move to the NFL.

sbk92

Reaction score
Von Miller is healthy and on the rise

By Todd McShay

I've watched a lot of tape on Texas A&M this week in preparation for the Aggies game against Nebraska, and while the quarterback switch from Jerrod Johnson to Ryan Tannehill has energized the offense it's also important to note that the defense is playing well and is also a big part of A&M's turnaround.

DE/OLB Von Miller has been the leader on that side of the ball. Miller dealt with nagging injuries early in the season but is now healthy and his explosiveness and change-of-direction skills are back to 100 percent.

He is playing with more confidence, showing off his unique athleticism, and people within the program tell me Miller is poised to blow up the NFL combine with a 40-yard dash in the 4.5-second range and impressive strength and agility in drills.

Miller is a good bet to transition to strongside linebacker in a 4-3 defense, though at 6-foot-3 and 238 pounds he might be too small to fit in that role for some NFL teams. However, his physical tools and athleticism will be enough to get him on the field and make him a productive pro, and Miller is in the process of solidifying his current mid-to-late first-round grade.

Aggies junior CB Coryell Judie has also burst on the scene in recent weeks, intercepting two passes over the Aggies' last three games and also becoming an impact kickoff returner. Judie had not returned kicks before the Week 10 win over Oklahoma, but in games against the Sooners and Baylor he returned seven kicks for 279 yards and took two back for touchdowns.

He's been way under the radar to this point but has a contributor on defense the entire season, and his newfound versatility will at the very least get him on the radar as a 2012 prospect to watch.

As for Tannehill, he's also a junior but his size (6-4, 219), accuracy and decision making have made him a 2012 developmental prospect worth keeping an eye on. He has thrown 10 touchdowns and three interceptions in four games since taking over the starting job and the Texas A&M offense has been much more efficient under his direction.

Torrey Smith making noise

I've watched some tape of Maryland WR Torrey Smith recently and have been impressed. Smith exploded for seven catches, 157 yards and a touchdown against Virginia, and at 6-1 and 200 pounds with good skills after the catch he has the tools to develop into a solid No. 2 receiver at the next level.

He's a junior and there has not been much buzz about whether he's considering jumping to the NFL, but with 44 catches for 752 yards and eight scores on the year it's likely Smith will be consulting the NFL's underclassman committee after the season to see where he stands.

The wide receiver class is not very deep at the top with Georgia's A.J. Green the clear No. 1 and Alabama's Julio Jones a notch below. There are a bunch of second-to-third round prospects behind them -- Jonathan Baldwin, Ryan Broyles, Greg Little, Jerrel Jernigan, DeVier Posey -- and based on what I've seen Smith has the ability to compete for position within that second tier.

Injury news on Locker, others

I'm interested to see how Washington QB Jake Locker fares this week in his return from a rib injury. Huskies coach Steve Sarkisian says Locker has been cleared to play and Locker now has three games to turn around a nightmarish season and build some momentum heading into the draft process.

Locker has been erratic while dealing with nagging injuries and his team's failure to meet expectations, but now that he's back in the lineup after missing the Oregon game scouts want to see the kind of confidence Locker exhibited last season and will be watching his poise in the pocket. He needs to show NFL teams that his time off gave him a chance to digest all that's gone wrong and once again slow the game down.

If Locker can somehow lead Washington to wins against inconsistent UCLA and California teams and a bad Washington State squad, and get the Huskies bowl-eligible in the process, it will go a long way toward proving he can bounce back from adversity and validating his mental toughness. The former No. 1 overall player on our board has certainly damaged his stock this season but there is still time to right the ship.

D-linemen hurting

The injury news isn't as good for a pair of defensive prospects, though.

Pittsburgh DE Greg Romeus was the 2009 Co-Defensive Player of the Year and entered this season with a second-round grade, but an early-season back injury that required surgery sidelined Romeus until the Panthers' Week 11 game at Connecticut. Unfortunately, Romeus tore the ACL in his left knee in that game and is now done for the season.

That's two significant injuries in a two-month period, and while Romeus showed good pass-rush skills and strength against the run in '09 it seems unlikely a team will take a chance on him before the third round.

Oklahoma DT Adrian Taylor has had a hard-luck year as well. Taylor suffered a dislocated ankle in last year's Sun Bowl and showed toughness and leadership in returning to the field, and that will be noticed by NFL teams. However, those same teams will notice that he has not been an impact player this season. Taylor had just 12 total tackles and a half-sack before tearing his Achilles tendon last week, and while he won't drop off draft boards altogether he's now a Day 3 prospect.

Issues for cornerbacks

I fell in love with Virginia CB Ras-I Dowling's skill set during preseason film study and based on his 2009 tape he seemed destined to become a first-round pick. Knee, hamstring and ankle injuries have derailed his season, though, and he'll miss the remainder of the year with a fractured ankle.

He has late-first or early-second round tools but it's hard to imagine a team taking him that early in a loaded cornerback class. Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara and Janoris Jenkins are solidifying their first-round grades and players like Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams and Brandon Burton are moving into the first-round conversation, so there might not be room for a player with durability concerns that have affected his play in 2010.

Finally, Texas CB Chykie Brown won't play again this year after breaking his right forearm against Kansas State. Brown has the quickness and athleticism to contribute as a sub-package corner at the next level, though, and while he's not physical against the run or when covering bigger receivers Brown's physical tools should keep him in the third-to-fourth round area.

sbk92

Reaction score
Adrian Clayborn's power is impressive

By Steve Muench

Some of the country's best defensive linemen, including two of the top six defensive ends on our draft board, will take the field when Ohio State hits the road this week to take on Iowa.

Hawkeyes DE Adrian Clayborn and Buckeyes DE Cameron Heyward project as first-round picks, but there are differences in their games.

Clayborn goes 6-foot-3 and 285 pounds, is strong enough to anchor against the run when he plays with sound leverage and is a powerful bull-rusher who can rock offensive tackles back. There's a lot to like about his active hands. He has a powerful upper body and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly.

On the downside, Clayborn will give ground when his technique isn't sound. He tends to play too high when he gets tired and may need to shed some weight, because he doesn't appear to be in peak physical condition at this point.

Clayborn lacks the elite explosiveness to consistently turn the corner against NFL left tackles, so he is best suited to line up at left end for a base 4-3 defense like Detroit's. He has the skill set and frame to push for immediate playing time at that spot.

Heyward could also line up at left end in a 4-3 scheme and provide some versatility by reducing inside to tackle in passing situations. However, that's not his best fit because he's not as quick or fast as Clayborn and will have an even harder time gaining the edge at the next level.

Heyward does have the frame (6-5, 278) and upper-body strength to develop into an effective 5-technique for a base 3-4 defense like Miami's. He can lock out offensive tackles, is tall enough to locate the ball once he does and flashes the ability to shed blocks in time to make a play.

Clayborn and Heyward aren't the only NFL prospects who will be showcasing their skills in Iowa City. Here's a look at the other future pros worth watching.

Ohio State WR DeVier Posey -- Scouts Inc. Grade: 81
Posey is a bit inconsistent, but he has the frame, quickness and top-end speed to develop into an effective No. 2 receiver in the NFL.

Ohio State ILB Ross Homan -- Grade: 74
Homan missed two games with a foot injury earlier this year, and he's not a downhill thumper who excels in phone-booth situations. However, he has above-average range and cover skills for an inside linebacker prospect.

Iowa DT Christian Ballard -- Grade: 72
Much like Heyward, Ballard has experience lining up outside and inside. Ballard is strong at the point of attack and has above-average closing speed for a 296-pounder.

Iowa DE Karl Klug -- Grade: 70
Klug lines up at defensive tackle for Iowa, but at 265 pounds he fits better at end in the NFL. While it could take him some time to make the transition, he is a blue-collar player who uses his hands well.

Iowa WR Derrell Johnson-Koulianos -- Grade: 70
Although he doesn't have great top-end speed, Johnson-Koulianos is fast enough to hold his own at the next level, and he flashes signs of developing into a crisp route-runner.

Ohio State CB Chimdi Chekwa -- Grade: 66
Chekwa has some problems staying with quicker receivers underneath, and he is adequate in run support. But he can run with receivers, and he's played the ball better this year.

Ohio State RB Brandon Saine -- Grade: 62
Saine runs hard, and he can contribute as a receiver out of the backfield, but Dan Herron has replaced him as Ohio State's primary ball carrier. One of the biggest concerns with Saine is that he runs too high and makes it easy for defenders to get him to the ground at times.

Ohio State CB Devon Torrence -- Grade: 61
Torrence lined up at receiver as a freshman in 2007 and saw limited time at corner in 2008, but he's progressed nicely over the past two seasons. He has the frame and speed to continue to get better as he gains more experience.

Ohio State DT Dexter Larimore -- Grade: 59
The 6-foot-1 Larimore doesn't have great quickness or agility, but his low center of gravity allows him to get under offensive linemen, and he's strong enough to hold his ground once he establishes position.

Ohio State S Jermale Hines -- Grade: 58
Hines is Ohio State's third-leading tackler and has the frame to develop into an effective in-the-box safety at the NFL level, but he lacks the cover skills to stay with NFL slot receivers in man coverage.

Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi -- Grade: 48
Stanzi's accuracy is still a bit inconsistent but his decision-making has greatly improved this year. He has a fair amount of upside because of his frame and mobility.

sbk92

Reaction score
Da'Quan Bowers a top-10 talent

By Kevin Weidl

I was in Winston-Salem, N.C., over the weekend for the Clemson-Wake Forest game, and Tigers DE Da'Quan Bowers, the No. 3 overall player on our board, did not disappoint in his team's 30-10 win.

The 6-foot-4, 280-pound Bowers is an impressive specimen in person. He has a thick build and powerful lower body, and his overall strength allows him to hold up well at the point of attack in the running game. He showed an explosive punch to jar blockers, and he has long arms and impressive natural pass-rushing skills.

Bowers recorded two sacks against the Demon Deacons in his ninth straight game with at least one sack, and on his first sack against Wake Forest he did a great job of beating a double-team. Bowers was matched up with the tight end and did a great job using his hands to disengage and rip outside, then redirected inside quickly to beat the running back, who was providing help, and get to the quarterback.

Bowers reduces inside to the 3-technique on passing downs and played with good leverage there, getting good surge on bull rushes and flat-backing a guard at one point. I was impressed with his instincts in terms of staying home and finding the ball before reacting quickly. He was rarely caught out of position, and his second sack came after he read a misdirection play well. Bowers is a bit tight changing directions and does not have Julius Peppers-type athleticism, but his strength and pass-rushing skills overshadow that.

Overall, Bowers displayed the strength, versatility and natural tools to convince me he is locking down a top-10 pick.

Here's a look at how a few other Clemson prospects fared:

S DeAndre McDaniel -- McDaniel is a bit overrated in my opinion, and his showing in this game reinforced that. He has 12 interceptions over the last two years, so there's no denying his ball skills, but McDaniel appears limited athletically, and I question his overall speed and angles in coverage. He is tight in space and struggled at times to bring down receivers after the catch. McDaniel failed to break down at times as a run-defender and was caught reaching for air.

He has good size (6-foot, 216) and plays a physical, downhill game in run support, and McDaniel looks like a good bet to play in the box in run support at the next level, but his other limitations could hurt his stock. We give McDaniel a mid-third-round grade at this point, but it won't surprise me if he falls a little further before all is said and done.

DT Jarvis Jenkins -- He has a lot of short-area power, and Jenkins showed a strong punch and the ability to use his hands to get off blocks. At 6-4 and 303 pounds, he might not become an elite two-gap player, but Jenkins certainly showed the tools to be an effective 3-technique in a 4-3 system.

He flashed the ability to get down the line and make plays outside the tackle box in pursuit, and while Jenkins could use some refining as a pass-rusher he looks poised to move solidly into the third round if he keeps up this level of play.

OT Chris Hairston -- The 6-4, 321-pound Hairston has the strength and frame to engulf defenders in the phone booth, and he flashes the ability to put them on their backs, but his lack of athleticism shows up in pass protection. Hairston is good with his initial set, but he is a bit heavy-footed and struggles to redirect against counter moves from pass-rushers.

He struggled when trying to locate and adjust to moving targets at the second level and in space, so in my opinion he is a better fit at guard in the NFL. We currently grade him in the middle of the third round at tackle, but moving to guard would drop his value. Overall Hairston looks like a mid-round prospect to me.

RB Jamie Harper -- Harper has quick feet for his size (6-foot, 235), and I like his patience as a runner. He showed good lateral movement, and his combination of size and balance made him tough to bring down at times. He caught the ball well for a bigger back, showing effectiveness in the screen game and good open-field elusiveness for his size.

He was a bit tentative at times, and I'd like to see him run with a little more authority. His speed is adequate, and Harper is one of the best big backs on the radar right now. He's a junior and eligible for the draft, and while he's still gaining experience after finally stepping out of the shadows of James Davis and C.J. Spiller, it's worth keeping an eye on Harper.

sbk92

Reaction score
OLB Bruce Carter's toughness an issue

By Kevin Weidl

There is a lot to like about the athleticism and change-of-direction skills North Carolina OLB Bruce Carter shows on film, and at 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds Carter certainly passes the eyeball test.

However, after film study I have concerns about his toughness and the consistency of his effort. Carter struggles to get off blocks at times, doesn't always lay the wood when he tackles and is easily sealed by blockers on the outside.

Carter makes splash plays at times, but for every impressive play there are others that leave you wanting more. There will surely be teams that fall in love with his athletic ability during the pre-draft process but the holes we've seen in his game have dropped his grade from the first round entering the season to the late second round at this point.

Tar Heels CB Kendric Burney is also dropping after missing time early in the season due to the NCAA investigations surrounding the program and his struggles when he got back on the field.

Burney has shown poor footwork and technique and failed to maintain proper position in coverage. He was beaten twice for touchdowns against Virgnia Tech after giving up inside leverage, at one point falling when trying to open his hips.

After failing to live up to expectations Burney has fallen into the mid-third round area.

Baldwin can overcome limitations

We've talked recently about Pittsbugh WR Jon Baldwin's lack of polish as a route-runner, inconsistent effort and seeming lack of toughness, but after a deeper look at the film it's even more clear that he is a rare physical talent.

Baldwin is exactly what NFL teams want in a wide receiver with his 6-foot-5, 225-pound frame and ability to track and bring in the ball down the field. He takes a little time to get to full speed but once there his long strides eat up ground, and his size and body control make him a matchup nightmare for defensive backs.

His long frame will always make it difficult to drop his weight in and out of breaks and Baldwin will likely never master the entire route tree, but his overall talent will almost surely keep him on the fringe of the first round or early in the second.

Reisner getting on the radar

One player we'll be keeping an eye on as the pre-draft process unfolds is Iowa TE Allen Reisner, who caught only 26 passes in his first three seasons with the Hawkeyes but has hauled in 37 so far in 2010.

Reisner (6-2, 240) does not have great size and thus projects as an H-back type in the NFL, but he has good hands, catches the ball well in traffic and has the tools to develop into a good route-runner. If he can improve his savvy as a blocker Reisner could work his way into the Day 3 mix.

Small-school standouts getting noticed

As the college season enters the home stretch we're hearing more about postseason all-star games, and one of the more interesting nuggets we've heard is that two players from Division II Villanova have been invited to the Senior Bowl.

Wildcats OT Benjamin Ijalana is one of our top five small-school prospects and carries a third-round grade at this point, so his inclusion isn't much of a shock. Ijalana (6-foot-34, 317 pounds) has good size and strength and plays with an edge, though his lack of ideal athleticism could force him to slide inside to guard in the NFL.

The invitation extended to WR Matt Szczur is more surprising. Szczur missed six games this season due to a high ankle sprain, but he can make tough catches in traffic and flashes some open-field running ability.

Adding to the intrigue is the fact that in Szczur was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in the fifth round of the First Year Player draft this past June.

Szczur signed for $100,000 up frontand is guaranteed another $500,000 on February 10 as long as he is planning on reporting to spring training. That means he will likely attend the Senior Bowl in late January and then have a decision to make based on what he hears from NFL talent evaluators about his performance there.

Szczur projects as a Day 3 pick right now so he would have to make an NFL roster and hang on for at least a couple years to make the same money the Cubs would hand him in February, so he'll likely have a touch choice to make in a couple months.

sbk92

Reaction score
WR Jonathan Baldwin has all the tools

By Kevin Weidl

I was in Pittsburgh over the weekend for the Backyard Brawl between the Panthers and West Virginia, and here's what I saw from the NFL prospects who took the field for both teams.

Pittsburgh WR Jonathan Baldwin -- Scouts Inc. grade: 85
The highest-rated prospect on either side, Baldwin re-affirmed his physical gifts. His impressive 6-foot-4 ⅝ frame is exactly what NFL teams are looking for, and few wideouts in college track and play the deep ball as well as Baldwin. He showed off that skill when he heat WVU CB Brandon Hogan on a double move then shielded the ball and brought it in with one hand while Hogan was on his hip.

Baldwin got behind Hogan on several occasions, showing off his deceiving top-end speed and ability to eat up cushions when he gets his long strides going, and though we have concerns about his overall polish as a route-runner Baldwin used double moves downfield effectively against Hogan.

Baldwin will never be able to drop his weight well in and out of breaks but he can be coached up in terms of setting defenders up within his stem, and given his athletic ability, hands and ability to bring in the deep ball it's hard for me to see Baldwin lasting beyond the first few picks of the second round.

West Virginia S Robert Sands -- Grade: 82
He has a long, impressive build (6-4 7/8, 221) and Sands has the speed, ball skills and adequate range to hold up at the point in zone coverage. He is also a very good in-the-box safety who can deliver violent strikes and is a reliable open-field tackler. That part of his game showed up in the second quarter when Sands rattled RB Dion Lewis and caused a fumble that gave the Mountaineers good field position in the Panthers' end of the field.

Sands also showed the ability to time blitzes well and hurry Sunseri, but he was also over-aggressive at times and bit on a play-action fake that allowed a receiver to get behind him for Pittsburgh's only touchdown of the day. With his high-cut frame he is also tight in space at times and will have trouble matching up with slot receivers in the NFL, but he does have the ability to hold up against most NFL tight ends. Given all that Sands has worked his way into the second round discussion.

Pittsburgh DE Jabaal Sheard -- Grade: 79
He didn't light up the stat sheet (5 total tackles), but Sheard faced a lot of double-teams from the WVU offensive line and the Mountaineers often shifted their pass protection to his side. Sheard continued to play with a high motor, though, and the fight and toughness he showed throughout the game is one of the reasons he's among my favorite prospects in the 2011 class.

Sheard plays with good strength, and while he is limited athletically he is a perfect fit as a 3-4 end in schemes that value size and the ability to hold ground on the edge. His physical game fits the power schemes employed by teams like New England, the New York Jets and even Baltimore. Sheard has gotten himself to the fringe of the second round and solid performances during the pre-draft process could move him squarely into the Round 2 conversation.

West Virginia RB Noel Devine -- Grade: 73
A pint-sized (5-7 5/8, 177) who will never be an every-down back in the NFL, Devine is also dealing with a nagging toe injury that has affected him for most of the season and begun to raise durability questions.

Devine will likely play a third-down role in the NFL and he showed his ability to contribute as a receiver when he caught a swing pass out of the backfield in stride, showing good short-area burst to get to the sideline and the ability to make a defender miss in space before getting down the sideline for a big gain.

West Virginia CB Brandon Hogan -- Grade: 65
There's a lot to like about Hogan's instincts, awareness and aggressiveness in run support, and he made a nice interception on Pittsburgh's first drive of the game. Hogan was playing zone coverage and did a good job reading QB Tino Sunseri's eyes and coming off a short receiver to the inside and getting to the ball. He showed the good hands to bring in the interception and good running ability in the open field.

However, while Hogan moves well his lack of top-end speed is a concern. Hogan was caught in trail position several times against Baldwin and was unable to recover, and because he is a bit undersized (5-10, 194) he was pushed around a bit and unable to battle effectively for balls in the air. Add in some off-field character concerns and Hogan looks like a late-round prospect after beginning the season with a mid-round grade.

Pittsburgh RB Dion Lewis -- Grade: 63
Ball security continues to be an issue for Lewis, who lost two fumbles against Pittsburgh. I like his vision and ability to get in and out of cuts but his top-end speed is questionable and his production has fallen off this season as a result of inconsistent quarterback and offensive line play.

Lewis is a draft-eligible sophomore and would do well to return to school and build some momentum. He has remained healthy and another year in school with a more experienced supporting cast could get him back to the form that helped Lewis rush 1,799 yards and 17 touchdowns last season.

However, his lack of power and size as well as questions about his long speed will keep Devine's stock down. Teams are also investigating character issues, and while he carries a late-third round grade at this point it wouldn't surprise me if he fell to the fourth or fifth before all is said and done.

West Virginia WR Jock Sanders -- Grade: 30
Another undersized (5-6, 181) prospect who will have a limited role in the NFL, Sanders tempos his routes well and runs with good balance once he gets the ball but lacks the speed to stretch the field. Teams will have to find very specific ways to utilize his quickness and elusiveness in space, and that restriction along with off-field issues have conspired to make him a late-round prospect at best.

sbk92

Reaction score
SEC title game features two first-rounders

By Todd McShay

We're just days away from the SEC championship game between Auburn and South Carolina, one of the last chances NFL prospects on both teams have to show their wares in live action.

Here's a look at the top prospects for each team:

Auburn Tigers

DT Nick Fairley (Scouts Inc. grade: 97) -- Fairley has been the most dominant interior defensive lineman in college football this season. He's expected to leave school early and become a high first-round pick in the 2011 NFL draft.

QB Cam Newton (Grade: 87) -- He possesses rare physical tools but Newton has just one season of major college football under his belt. He will likely become a first-round pick but needs time to mature and develop as a passer.

OT Lee Ziemba (Grade: 72) -- Ziemba is a fringe-Day 2 prospect with great size but underwhelming power and athleticism.

Late round/free-agent prospects
DT Michael Blanc (38)
ILB Josh Bynes (33)
RB Mario Fannin (32)
S Zac Etheridge (31)
PK Wes Byrum (30)
CB Aairon Savage (30)
DE Antoine Carter (30)
WR Terrell Zachery (30)
C Ryan Pugh (30)
G Lee Isom (30)
G Mike Berry (30)
OLB Craig Stevens (30)
RB Kodi Burns (30)

South Carolina Gamecocks

DE Cliff Matthews (Grade: 77) -- He lacks elite physical tools but shows good quickness and savvy off the edge. Matthews is a high-motor player who gets the most out of his ability and projects as a third- or fourth-round pick.

TE Weslye Saunders (Grade: 65) -- Arguably the most talented draft-eligible tight end prospect entering the 2010 season, Saunders was dismissed from the team for multiple off-field infractions and an overall poor work ethic. All that baggage will likely cause him to slip to the middle rounds.

CB Chris Culliver (Grade: 52) -- Culliver will also miss the SEC title game after suffering a season-ending shoulder injury earlier this season. He was inconsistent in the games he played but has a good combination of size, speed and toughness. Culliver could play corner or safety in the NFL depending on the scheme and projects as a Day 3 pick.

OT Jarriel King (Grade: 50) -- A big offensive lineman with limited range and below-average balance, King does have experience playing both tackle and guard. He has enough versatility and size potential to warrant Day 3 consideration.

Late round/Free agent prospects
DT Ladi Ajiboye (30)
FB Patrick Dimarco (30)
G Garrett Chisolm (30)

sbk92

Reaction score
Ryan Williams can overcome injuries

By Todd McShay

The ACC championship game is just around the corner, and there are some big-name NFL prospects to keep an eye on when Florida State and Virginia Tech meet. Here's a look at the top prospects for each team.

Florida State Seminoles

C Rodney Hudson (Scouts Inc. grade: 88) -- He is an undersized prospect who is not overpowering at the point of attack, but Hudson is a very good technician. He is one of the more efficient and consistent blockers in the country, and teams with zone-blocking offenses could consider Hudson as early as the second round.

QB Christian Ponder (Grade: 74) -- Ponder has battled through an up-and-down season due in part to an elbow injury suffered in October. He's been noticeably sharper as a passer since having the elbow drained, but he still needs the right pro team -- likely one that runs a West Coast offense -- to fall in love with his athleticism, competitiveness and intangibles in order to come off the board before Round 3.

Late-round/free-agent prospects
DE Markus White (38)
C Ryan McMahon (32)
OLB Mister Alexander (30)
ILB Kendall Smith (30)
RB Tavares Pressley (30)

Virginia Tech Hokies

RB Ryan Williams (Grade: 86) -- Williams has suffered through an injury-riddled redshirt sophomore season after bursting onto the scene in 2009. He's still a premier talent, though, and has shown signs recently that he's returning to full form. Williams is thought to be leaving Virginia Tech after this season and could be a first-round pick despite disappointing results in 2010.

CB Rashad Carmichael (Grade: 77) -- He lacks ideal size and is only decent in run support, but Carmichael plays with energy and gives great effort. He has good straight-line speed but struggles with balance at times and will lose ground versus quick double moves. Carmichael has enough talent and the mental makeup to contribute as a subpackage corner and on special teams in the NFL, which is why he projects as a third- or fourth-round pick.

QB Tyrod Taylor (Grade: 41) -- Taylor has made enormous strides as a passer and a leader but is still not considered a legitimate NFL quarterback prospect, due in large part to marginal height and inconsistent accuracy. He's a dangerous runner, though, and NFL teams will consider him in the middle rounds because of his athleticism and potential to play a versatile role on offense and special teams.

Late-round/free-agent prospects
DT John Graves (39)
S Davon Morgan (33)
DE Steven Friday (32)
TE Andre Smith (31)
C Beau Warren (30)

sbk92

Reaction score
Prince Amukamara leads Big 12 prospects

By Todd McShay

The Big 12 championship game between Nebraska and Oklahoma features more top NFL prospects than any other game this weekend. Here's how Scouts Inc. breaks down those prospects, with underclassmen denoted with an asterisk.

Nebraska Cornhuskers

CB Prince Amukamara (Scouts Inc. grade: 96) -- At his best in press-man coverage. Has size and toughness. Is physical and shows fluid hips and adequate-to-good top-end speed. Best senior cornerback prospect in the country. Not at the level of LSU's Patrick Peterson (junior) but certainly belongs in the top-20 picks.

WR Niles Paul (Grade: 72) -- Flashes big-play ability and a lot of upside. Has the speed to threaten vertically and turn short throws into long gains, but inconsistent hands and off-the-field concerns will hurt his draft stock.

DT Jared Crick* (Grade: 71) -- Still developing his hand usage and pass-rush moves. Has a good frame for a 5-technique in a 3-4 scheme, but he must learn to play with more consistent leverage. Has come on strong during the second half of the season but would be best served by returning to school for 2011.

DE Pierre Allen (Grade: 67) -- Solid but unspectacular prospect. His body is high-cut with room to add bulk. Is instinctive and tough. Gives great effort but has only adequate quickness and needs to improve upper-body power. Projects as a mid-round pick and rotational player in the NFL.

RB Roy Helu Jr. (Grade: 62) -- Is well-built and showing more burst in 2010. Lacks ideal lateral quickness but hits the hole hard and is a tough runner. Projects as a Day 3 pick and can contribute in the NFL as a change-of-pace back and on special teams.

Late round/free-agent prospects
TE Mike McNeill (55)
S Eric Hagg (50)
G Keith Williams (39)
PK Alex Henery (38)
S Dejon Gomes (30)
CB Anthony West (30)

Oklahoma Sooners

OLB Jeremy Beal (Grade: 89) -- Highly-productive defender, especially behind the line of scrimmage. Shows good bend and closing burst as a pass-rusher. Strong and tough versus the run but a bit overrated as an athlete. Has some stiffness and is not an ideal fit as a 3-4 rush linebacker. A good prospect but not elite. Should come off the board on Day 2.

S Quinton Carter (Grade: 86) -- At his best in zone coverage, in which he can read the quarterback and get an early jump. Will support the run hard and is capable of making plays on the ball in the air. He's fluid and smooth but lacks ideal suddenness as an athlete. Might be a bit limited in terms of range in coverage. Overall he is one of the top-5 safeties in the 2011 senior crop and projects as a Day 2 pick.

OLB Travis Lewis* (Grade: 85) -- Athletic but undersized outside linebacker. Plays from sideline to sideline when protected but struggles to get off of blocks when reached. Has the fluid hips and speed to make an impact in coverage. Fits best on the weak side in the NFL and should be off the board by the third round.

WR Ryan Broyles* (Grade: 82) -- Lacks elite size/speed ratio but is quick and tough. Has strong hands and can make plays after the catch. Should come off the board at some point in the second round.

RB Demarco Murray (Grade: 79) -- Blessed with first-round tools but cursed with terrible durability. Is a versatile back with good running skills and good hands as a receiver. Can also contribute in the return game. Will he ever stay healthy long enough to warrant a pick in the first two rounds?

Late round/Free agent prospects
C Jonathan Nelson (49)
OT Cory Brandon (48)
DT Adrian Taylor (41)
WR Brandon Caleb (30)

sbk92

Reaction score
Draft Buzz: DE J.J. Watt surging up the board

Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt piled up seven tackles (three for loss, two sacks), two forced fumbles, three quarterback hurries and a blocked kick in the Badgers' 70-23 pasting of Northwestern, continuing a string of dominating performances that have gotten him on the NFL radar.

Scouts I've talked to like the improvements he's made this season, and while Watt is not an elite athlete he is quick off the edge, strong against the run and plays with a nonstop motor. He's earned comparisons to St. Louis Rams DE Chris Long as the kind of player who makes the most of his talent and wears opponents down with effort.

Watt is a junior and it's not known whether he's considering entering the draft, but one scout told me Watt has the look of a potential top-50 overall pick at this point.

WR Smith coming on strong

Maryland WR Torrey Smith caught 14 passes for 224 yards and four touchdowns in a win over NC State and now has 12 scores and more than 1,000 yards on the season. Smith has the vertical speed and hands to be a big-play threat in the NFL but could use some polish as a route-runner.

Smith is another junior who is still being evaluated, but there is a lot of talk about him looking into his prospects for the 2011 draft. Two different scouts tell me their limited looks at his film show a player who could come off the board in the first two rounds.

A.J. Green and Julio Jones are clearly the top two receivers on the board, but if Smith comes out he would fit in the second tier along with players like Jonathan Baldwin, Ryan Broyles, DeVier Posey and Jerrel Jernigan.

Big finish for OT Solder

Colorado OT Nate Solder entered the season as our top-rated offensive line prospect but struggled with balance and footwork early on, and did not seem to be finishing plays as consistently as he did in 2009.

However, Solder has turned it on over the second half of the season. He's playing with more confidence and aggressiveness, and at 6-foot-8 and 310 pounds he is certainly the most talented offensive lineman on the board right now.

He is playing with good balance and his footwork has been more consistent, and while Solder needs to work on some fundamentals he has the ability to play left tackle in the NFL. If he builds on this strong finish Solder may become the first offensive tackle off the board, which would mean a spot somewhere in the top 20.

Late-season stumbles for CB Wright

Injuries and academics limited the playing time of USC CB Shareece Wright early in his career, but he was fully healthy coming into 2010 and has his academics in order. That translated to early season success, but Wright has regressed recently and has given up some big plays in the past two games.

Wright is struggling to stay with double moves and seems hesitant when playing off the line in zone coverage, and while he's a physical tackler in run support, his footwork, reads and technique still need work.

That's bad news given the overall depth of the cornerback class. Patrick Peterson, Janoris Jenkins and Prince Amukamara are atop the corner board, but behind them players like Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams, Curtis Brown, Jimmy Smith, Brandon Burton and even the injured Ras-I Dowling are fighting for spots in the second tier.

At this point it looks like Wright's poor play down the stretch could be the difference between coming off the board on Day 2 and dropping into the Day 3 area.

DT McClain getting noticed

South Florida DT Terrell McClain has quietly had a very solid season, using his quick first step to disrupt plays in the backfield and doing a better job in recent weeks of finishing plays. He's flown under the radar most of the year but his strong play has moved him from Day 3 into the Day 2 mix, and he can build even more momentum with a good showing in the season finale against Connecticut.

sbk92

Reaction score
Nick Fairley and Corey Liuget boost D-line

By Steve Muench

College football's regular season is over and it's time to look back and assess the progression or regression of 2011 NFL draft prospects over the course of the season.

Remember, though, that the decisions of high-profile underclassmen to enter the draft or return to school can change things. We'll also be updating our evaluations on senior prospects over the next few weeks and that is sure to tweak the rankings as well.

But for now, here's a look at the position groups that have improved the most and taken the biggest steps back based on what we've seen of prospects in game action. As always, underclassmen are denoted with an asterisk.

Improving

Defensive tackle

The emergence of Auburn's Nick Fairley* and Illinois' Corey Liuget* improved this group as both stepped into the spotlight after playing complementary roles in 2009. Fairley has shot to the top of his class and projects as an early-first round pick because he's shown the quick hands and feet NFL defensive coordinators covet.

Liuget isn't as explosive and doesn't use his hands well but he is quick for his size and flashes the ability to get off blocks quickly, which is why he's moved into late-first round consideration. Alabama's Marcell Dareus, Oregon State's Stephen Paea and LSU's Drake Nevis also carry first round grades at this point.

Defensive end

Five defensive ends entered the season with first round grades and Clemson's Da'Quan Bowers* wasn't one of them. However, Bowers realized his awesome potential this year and moved to the top of the class in the process.

At 280 pounds, the 2010 Bronco Nagurski Trophy winner has the burst and balance to make an immediate impact rushing the passer at the next level. Now there are seven defensive ends with first round grades and Wisconsin's J.J. Watt isn't far off after finishing the season in dominating fashion. Robert Quinn, Adrian Clayborn, Ryan Kerrigan, Cameron Heyward, Allen Bailey and Cameron Jordan round out the first-rounders.

Wide receivers

North Carolina's Greg Little and Notre Dame's Michael Floyd* have both seen their stock dip but this remains a deep class and there is excellent talent at the top. Georgia's A.J. Green* and Alabama Julio Jones* have moved up the first-round board and been joined by Oklahoma State's Justin Blackmon*, who has room to improve as a route-runner but can stretch the field and create after the catch.

Add in a second tier that includes the likes of Jonathan Baldwin, Ryan Broyles and Jerrel Jernigan, and you have a lot of prospects who could come off the board before the second round is over.

Declining

Running back

Alabama's Mark Ingram* and Virginia Tech's Ryan Williams* have both had disappointing seasons thanks in part to injuries. Ingram still grades out in the mid-first round but Williams is in the mid-second at this point, and there are concerns about Kansas State's Daniel Thomas (top-end speed) and Oregon's LaMichael James (size).

Miami's Graig Cooper has not bounced back from a knee injury and no other backs have stepped up, so this looks like a very thin class as things stand right now.

Tight end

Notre Dame's Kyle Rudolph* was the only tight end to receive a first-round grade in the preseason and he could still go there despite a hamstring injury that cost him the final six games of the season. Rudolph has the frame to develop into an adequate blocker, the ball skills to become a reliable short-to-intermediate target and the speed to provide the occasional big play.

Meanwhile, South Carolina's Weslye Saunders and Tennessee's Luke Stocker have both fallen out of the second round. South Carolina dismissed Saunders before the season began and there were already concerns about his character coming into the season, and Stocker just hasn't progressed as the scouts had hoped.

Quarterback

The biggest concern I had about Stanford QB Andrew Luck* after watching his 2009 film was his decision making, but Luck squashed those concerns with an excellent 2010 season. He is running the Cardinal's pro-style offense masterfully, making sound adjustments the line of scrimmage and getting the ball to the open man.

Washington's Jake Locker, on the other hand, hasn't developed as a passer after showing some promise last year. He's dropped from the top spot to fourth in our latest draft tracker. Arkansas' Ryan Mallett* has moved into the No. 2 slot and remains a late first round option but his grade has dipped slightly because of concerns about his foot speed and maturity. And it doesn't help that a subpar season has caused Florida State's Christian Ponder to slide from the second round to the third.

Top Bottom