Reaction score
By Mac Engel
tengel@star-telegram.com

ARLINGTON — There is not a better team in the NFL than the hated New England Patriots, but the best team in the NFC is your Dallas Cowboys.

Don’t be afraid to think big — like Houston big. Houston may not be a good place to visit in early February, but it is home to the Super Bowl this season. And this team is good enough to go to Houston.

The Dallas Cowboys played nearly an entire game in which their quarterback was bad, and a whole host of other individuals from the coaches to the offensive linemen to certain members of the defense took turns drinking from the aged Barrel of Stupid.

Somehow they won.

This is one of the surest signs of a good team — they can win when they are bad. The Cowboys were bad Sunday night and they won Sunday night.

Up until the final moments of regulation, the rookie Hall of Fame quarterback was terrible, and there was plenty of evidence to suggest that the Philadelphia Eagles were going to be the second NFC East team this season to leave Jerry World with a win.

The Cowboys had no business winning Sunday night but they did just that — 29-23 in overtime.

Students, gather ’round for the Dallas Cowboys are 6-1. If you need to say that again, go ahead because no one from Jerry Jones to Jason Garrett nor anyone else saw this coming.

The Cowboys’ 6-1 record is not a fluke and it’s not a joke. The injuries are a concern — Barry Church and Morris Claiborne both left the game — but that is going to happen to every team. And remember the Cowboys are actually playing their third string quarterback.

Garrett’s team was flat coming out of the bye but he tried everything to win a game where they were not good; whether it was the successful fake punt and run by punter Chris Jones from deep in his own territory, the unsuccessful wide receiver option pass from Cole Beasley, or the decision to go for it on fourth-and-1 in overtime, Garrett coached to win the game.

“A lot went through my mind,” Prescott said, “that’s my first touchdown pass to [Jason] Witten.”

Good teams don’t play scared, and Garrett coached like a man who trusted his team.

The Cowboys used to be a team that died without Tony Romo playing. Now they are (finally) thriving while he merely watches.

It was only slightly fitting, and even a little bittersweet, to watch Prescott complete the game-winning touchdown pass on a play that Romo has mastered both at old Texas Stadium and now Jerry World; the play was broken, and Romo — sorry I mean, Prescott —did the Romo spin move and threw a short pass to Romo’s best friend, Witten, to end the game.

In overtime, Dak Prescott was 5-for-5 passing for 56 yards and one touchdown.

Mass chaos ensued in the end zone and there were more giddy smiles at AT&T Stadium than when Taylor Swift played here.

If you ever needed a single reason to buy this team and feel good about it, Sunday night was all the evidence you should require. This group would have lost this game last year 50 different ways, but this year’s team is different. They were bad all night but never stopped trying like hell.

“To overcome the different adversities that happened during the game,” Garrett said after the game, his voice noticeably cracking. “A number of times we had opportunities to go away and we kept battling. The thing that stood out was the fight and the will to win.”

If it sounds like more lame, typical Garrett cliche speak you would be right. And so would he.

That single fact remains the most impressive credential of the Coach Process regime — whatever campaign-style rhetoric he sells, his players always buy. Even in a pro locker room where guys routinely do not listen to their coaches’ rah-rah speeches, Garrett has cultivated a culture of persistence.

In a league full of 8-8 garbage, that is worth a lot.

6-1The Dallas Cowboys record. The New England Patriots lead the NFL with a 7-1 record.

Every Cowboy knew their quarterback was having a bad night, and other Cowboys chipped in to give the Eagles’ the game, too. But players like Orlando Scandrick, Dez Bryant, Beasley, Tyrone Crawford all made enough individual plays to give their team a chance to win.

Besides Prescott’s poor game, there were so many other instances where the Cowboys should have lost.

The Cowboys committed 11 penalties for 84 yards. If it weren’t for the Oakland Raiders’ NFL-record 23 penalties on Sunday, the Cowboys may won the Dunce Contest.

The Cowboys handed the Eagles three first downs on penalties. Center Travis Frederick had a questionable holding call that erased a loooong Ezekiel Elliott run in the second half. Orlando Scandrick dropped an interception.

Some of the play-calling for Prescott inside the red zone called for passes when the running game was working — the Cowboys averaged 5.5 yards per carry; Dak’s second-quarter interception in the end zone was a forced pass on a play when a run seemed more logical.

Eventually, however, persistence had its moment. Guys like Crawford, Brandon Carr and so many others made plays and bought time for Dak to get it together.

It was not particularly pretty, but it worked because they never stopped.

And right now there is no better team in the NFC than the Dallas Cowboys.

Listen to Mac Engel every Tuesday and Thursday on Shan & RJ from 5:30-10 a.m. on 105.3 The Fan.

Mac Engel: 817-390-7697, @macengelprof

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't think there's any doubt. The only real competition would be Minnesota, and they have no OL and no running game.

I do suspect Seattle and Green Bay will be rounding into form by the end of the year, and I wouldn't count out Philly.

Reaction score
It's early in the year and we may be peaking too soon. I'd say by years end it'll come down to the usual suspects: Seattle, Green Bay, and I think Atlanta.

Dallas should be right there in the thick of things.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't think there's any doubt. The only real competition would be Minnesota, and they have no OL and no running game.

I do suspect Seattle and Green Bay will be rounding into form by the end of the year, and I wouldn't count out Philly.

I also believe Philly is going to be there in the end. Whoever ends up 2nd in the NFC Wast will get the wild card.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Wonder why he resigned?

He released a statement, but it was just your typical "Thank you to the owner for the opportunity, but I think this is the best thing for the team right now" kinda thing.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Wonder why he resigned?

I was hearing on the radio this morning that Norv wasn't actually calling the plays the first few games. He only took over the play calling the last two games and the team has played pretty bad. Ownership told Norv they were going to give the play calling duties back to the other guy and that Norv just resigned when they told him.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I was hearing on the radio this morning that Norv wasn't actually calling the plays the first few games. He only took over the play calling the last two games and the team has played pretty bad. Ownership told Norv they were going to give the play calling duties back to the other guy and that Norv just resigned when they told him.

So why would Zimmer be surprised by this?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I also believe Philly is going to be there in the end. Whoever ends up 2nd in the NFC Wast will get the wild card.

I disagree. I do not believe a wild card is coming out of the East.

Have you looked at the Eagles upcoming 6 games? Giants this week, Falcons next, Seahawks, next, Packers the week after that , and then the Bengals, and the Redskins that have already beat them.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I disagree. I do not believe a wild card is coming out of the East.

Have you looked at the Eagles upcoming 6 games? Giants this week, Falcons next, Seahawks, next, Packers the week after that , and then the Bengals, and the Redskins that have already beat them.

Have you looked at how crappy every other 2nd place team in the NFC is? Every other team (besides the Cowboys) in the NFC East is as good or better than every other 2nd place team. If it's not the Eagles it will be one of the other NFC East teams.

Reaction score
So Norv pulled a Dan Reeves. Way to go Norv!

So how many coaches has Sam Bradford killed?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I want to be the best team in February. Hard to put stock in this now when everybody is an injury or two from disaster.

Reaction score

The Vikings aren't for real. No team with Ryan Reynolds at QB is for real.

Top Bottom