C

Cr122

Sensabaugh Can Make Defense Forget Ken Hamlin

Josh Ellis

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. - Spending big dollars on player contracts is always something of a gamble. For a few years, anyway, the Cowboys have been chasing good money after bad at safety.

In training camp of 2006, the team signed Roy Williams to a four-year, $25.2 million extension. It was in that season that his play, particularly in the coverage aspects of his position, began to decline. The next offseason they signed free agent Ken Hamlin to a reasonable one-year deal, the former Seahawks second-round pick betting on himself and hitting with a five-interception, Pro Bowl season.

Hamlin, who was given the franchise tag before he could hit the open market the following March, held out of summer workouts in 2008. In the midst of a mostly ill-advised spending spree, the Cowboys eventually signed him to a ridiculous $38 million over six years. After the '08 season ended Williams was let go, a product of his declining skills and inflated contract. Hamlin's lack of production the last couple years made his contract impossible to justify, and he was released on April 2.

The recent memory of that Hamlin contract leaves the Cowboys in a tough position now, with their new veteran addition Gerald Sensabaugh on the verge of a potential extension himself. After four years in Jacksonville, the former fifth-round pick took the same free agency path as Hamlin last year, signing a one-year deal with the Cowboys, hoping it could lead to something more. Unfortunately for Sensabaugh, 2010 is the final year of the league's collective bargaining agreement with its players and altered rules made him a restricted free agent for the second season in a row, and he's scheduled to make $1.815 million in 2010, instead of getting the long-term security he desires.

Sensabaugh has claimed he doesn't intend to negotiate during the season, meaning the Cowboys have less than a month to work out a new deal, or risk letting him test the waters after the season. Jerry Jones has said he sees Sensabaugh as a big part of the Cowboys' future, a thought the safety does appreciate. But after playing in the least season of his contract in 2008 and 2009 as well, he's eager to see Jones' words backed up by his wallet.

"That's a little bit of comfort, but we've just got to see when it's all set in stone," Sensabaugh said. "I don't know. I'm just going to play year by year and see what happens. This is my third year doing it. You want something long term, some long-term security. You don't want to be jumping from team to team. Free agency gets kind of frustrating. ... there's stress in dealing with not knowing where you're going to be."

If Jones does get Sensabaugh wrapped up before the season starts, he'll sleep well the night the papers are finalized, just as he should have when cutting his losses with Williams and Hamlin. At this point in his career, Sensabaugh is a better fit for the Cowboys than either of those players were when they got their big deals, although the Hamlin contract is also likely to weigh heavily in their minds when determining just what they're willing to pay Sensabaugh. Chances are they won't over-spend this time around.

Sensabaugh is every bit the player Hamlin was, and potentially a lot better. In his second year in the locker room and around Wade Phillips' scheme, Sensabaugh is speaking up. It looks like he's starting to take on some of those "quarterback" duties so often leaned on as justification for Hamlin's inactivity. Though Alan Ball is technically Hamlin's replacement, he says there is a division of labor that has Sensabaugh taking a more vocal role.

"G knows what's going on," Ball said. "He really knows how to digest football. He sees a lot of things before they're coming, in terms of formations and what teams like to do out of those formations, both to the strong side and the weak side. It helps. I think me and G have got a communication level that's No. 1 right now. I really think that we work well together. If there's something I need from him, I look to him and he'll give me a certain look back so I know what's going on."

Playing with a cast protecting the thumb he broke in Week 4, Sensabaugh only intercepted one pass last season, a year removed from collecting four picks in 13 starts. After five INTs in his first season as a Cowboy,
Hamlin produced just one between '08 and '09. It'll be a little easier for Sensabaugh to catch this year, but he also expects to be around the ball more because of his increased familiarity with the defense.

"It's a lot easier because I know how they're going to attack the position," Sensabaugh said. "Last year I was playing everything so honest because I really didn't know how they attacked 3-4 safeties. ... They try to isolate you with running backs that are like receivers, place tight ends on you.

"I felt like I did really good, but this year I know a lot more about what to expect and hopefully I can make a lot more plays."

The Cowboys' safeties are mostly interchangeable, but this year more so than last, Sensabaugh could take on duties typically reserved for a free safety. In some first- and second-down situations, when there is still a threat of run, Ball will move into the slot to cover a third wide receiver. Sensabaugh will then play the back zone, keeping the ball in front of him and breaking on it when it comes to his area, something Hamlin was rarely able to do. Coaches do like Sensabaugh's range and ability to get to the ball.

Defenders who are at ease with their responsibilities and role are more apt to make plays, and safeties coach Brett Maxie says he's seeing that from Sensabaugh.

"He's certainly more confident," Maxie said. "It's always an adjustment coming from another team and kind of worrying about how you're going to be welcomed. Once Ken left he took on that responsibility of a leader. It just kind of happened naturally. Fortunately for us we were able to get him when we did, not knowing what was going to happen (to Hamlin) the way it happened. With Alan Ball having to step up, it was good for Gerald to take on that leadership role."

The important thing is for Sensabaugh's eventual raise to make him comfortable, but not too comfortable. Only then will the Cowboys' recurring case of buyer's remorse at the safety position be forgotten.

C

Cr122

I like Sensabaugh but I wouldn't mind seeing one of these younger guys get in there, and get a crack at his position.

Top Bottom