C

Cr122

Posted by jellis at 8/13/2010 12:35 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Injuries had a lot to do with the Cowboys' problems last night, especially their inability to run the ball. Pat McQuistan is not a tight end, and Robert Brewster is not a left tackle.

The more we see him, Brewster doesn't look like any kind of tackle. For a guy who missed all of last season with a torn pectoral muscle, he's held his own OK in two preseason games, actually drawing pretty good reviews from coaches and scouts alike. It may not be pretty at times, but they all say he's basically getting the job done.

Last year's third-round pick did have some mistakes in Thursday's game against Oakland. He let pass rushers get around the edge on him a couple times, and had a false start penalty along with a holding. Both are symptoms of a guy that is getting beat. Wade Phillips wouldn't say Brewster struggled against Oakland, but the "tackle" himself wasn't pleased.

"I've got to get in practice and work on my sets more on the left-hand side," Brewster said. "I've got to learn to set more square and just get back (in position). I've just got to try to get back as vertical as I can."

With his body type, tackle may never be a good fit. But when Brewster is in position and gets his hands on his man, they don't get off of him easily. This training camp the Cowboys may simply be attempting to get him some work against quicker defenders by playing him at tackle, his college position. But my guess is he'll be playing guard by 2011.

He looks like he would be a good prospect inside.

sbk92

Reaction score
Jerry stank.

When he reaches on you, you're destined to fail.

I actually had Brewster on a short list of guys I'd be interested in in the later rounds. Once we selected him in the 3rd round I gave up all hope that he'd amount to anything.

C

Cr122

Brewster is lucky to make this team as a backup guard because he has no chance at left or right tackle.

Our coaches are wasting their time playing him in those positions.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Jerry stank.

When he reaches on you, you're destined to fail.

I actually had Brewster on a short list of guys I'd be interested in in the later rounds. Once we selected him in the 3rd round I gave up all hope that he'd amount to anything.

Yeah, 3rd was too high. If he was a selected where Sam Young was, then there would be no gripe.

sbk92

Reaction score
We obviously can't scout offensive linemen. But I don't think we're very good at developing them either.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
We obviously can't scout offensive linemen. But I don't think we're very good at developing them either.

It's been that way for like eternity it seems.

I though Free would break the habit, but Brewster isn't giving me warm fuzzies.

C

Cr122

It's been that way for like eternity it seems.

I though Free would break the habit, but Brewster isn't giving me warm fuzzies.

Brewster hasn't had a full season under his belt.

Even if he does he's no better than a backup G at best.

Top Bottom