C

Cr122

Virtual Starters
Eatman: These 12th-Man Stars More Than Just Role Players
Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
Email | Follow nickeatman on Twitter

OXNARD, Calif. - No offense to Texas A&M University, and yes they get offended when someone messes with this.

But the Cowboys have a chance to be pretty good on both offense and defense this year, and they've got a "12th Man" on both sides of the ball that can make a difference.

Sure, there are superstars up and down the line to be excited about. Tony Romo could be ready to take his game from good to great, or maybe even elite. Miles Austin looks ready to be a star. Of course, Jay Ratliff and DeMarcus Ware are already there, and Mike Jenkins is on the verge of becoming one of the league's best as well.

But they're starters. They are part of the 11 that you'll see in your program's starting lineup.

However, another reason why this team has a chance to be really good is its immediate depth. They might be a little weak with all of their second-teamers, but the immediate backups, the guys I call the "12th Man" of either side, can play a huge role this year.

On offense, it's Felix Jones.

Defensively, it's Orlando Scandrick.

Barring injury, neither one of them is expected to start. Both of them are expected to play at a high level. Better yet, both of them are very-much needed for this team to be good.

Before we get too far into this, just know that Scandrick and Jones weren't the only two considerations for my 12th-man distinction. On offense, it was a very close call between Jones and Dez Bryant. I think Bryant will also be included in the offense in a huge way. However, I think he's got a better chance to start down the road than Felix.

Let's be real here. We know Dez is a player. We've seen enough in practice - yes even in practice - to know that he is going to be very good player, as long as he stays healthy and keeps his head on straight. And that's something we would and should say about any young rookie with the talent of Dez, not because of his past or anything. At some point, he will become a starting receiver for this team. And at some point, he'll be the best receiver on this team. Let's not just single out Roy Williams and say Dez is coming for his job. He'll one day pass Austin, too.

Because he's still a rookie, and hasn't played a single down of any professional football - or a down of football of any kind in 11 months, and he's currently hurt - I don't put him as the 12th man right now. But, he's close.

And I guess you have to consider Martellus Bennett. Actually, when he's in the game the Cowboys call it their "12 personnel" with one back and two tight ends. Even with Bennett attending Texas A&M, he's not exactly the 12th man on offense.

No, to me it's Felix. He's not the starter but vital to what this team is trying to do.

As it looks currently, the Cowboys don't plan on making any changes with Marion Barber. I know a lot of people want to see more of Felix, and there's no reason why you shouldn't. But Barber has also done enough to retain his job for now. He's got skins on the wall, he's still a complete back and he's come to training camp looking slim and trim but still powerful and explosive. Until we see otherwise, I think Barber remains the starter.

But that's why Felix is right there, too. He's the next guy. Not just at running back, but the next guy among the starting 11. He's that important to the offense and he needs the ball.

Jones probably scares defensive coordinators more than any other player on this team. At any point on the field, he can score. And the Cowboys are going to give him the chances to do just that.

Even in practice here this week, the first day the Cowboys worked on the Razorback formation, Jones took a handoff from Tashard Choice, sweeping across to the right side. While two defenders seemed to be in position to make the play, Jones cut on a dime, never got touched and raced some 70 yards for a score. I don't care if it was practice and I don't care if it was just a play of touch-football. Felix would've scored a touchdown on the play - any league, any rules, any time of day.

He is that dangerous. A guy like that needs to play. Start? Not exactly. But he's got to get in there and he will. That's why Felix is so valuable.

The same goes for Scandrick on the defensive side of the ball. That one really wasn't that hard to pick. The Cowboys play against three-wide sets the majority of the game, especially if they have a lead.

Scandrick is a huge part of the defense and not just because he's the third cornerback. It's because he's a really good third cornerback. Check that again, a good cornerback.

I know there are people out there who think Scandrick should and will one day be the starter along with Jenkins. There is something to that. Right now, Newman is playing at a Pro Bowl level and there's no need to change. There may not be a need to change for a few years.

But Scandrick can play. And in this defense, three corners is a must. That's why if something happens to any of the top three guys, I still think Alan Ball slides over first, even if he hasn't practiced it.

You just can't find a lot of guys to cover in the slot. Scandrick does it and actually likes it. Honestly, I think Scandrick is one of the most underrated players on this entire team. It's not just his play, but the attitude he brings. This guy doesn't just play with a chip on his shoulder, but a big bag of Doritos.

And just like Felix is virtually a starter on offense, Scandrick is the same defensively.

Without them, the Cowboys aren't the same at all. Proof once again this team needs more than the starting 11.

Top Bottom