NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Post bounty gate. Bounty gate occurred under Gregg Williams. I fail to see the relevence. How many players were suspended on that defense as a result? 1 maybe 2? I know Vilma was one and it was a partial suspension I suspect.

2012 is the year all the suspensions/sanctions were placed on the team. Sean Payton suspended the entire year and the distractions of the scandal destroyed that team. I'm not sure any coach would have done well in that situation.

Uh didn't Fewell accomplish that same feat against those very same Belicek-led and Brady QB Patriots? So then what makes Fewell so terrible, but Spags so good? The Giants won Super Bowls with both of them as DC.

From all accounts it looks as if Spags was a one-hit wonder.

Different teams. That '07 Patriots team was looking at an undefeated season and had one of the best if not the best offense this league has ever seen. The Giants because of Spags' defense pulled off what everyone called at the time one of the biggest upsets in sports history.

I don't like Fewell because I think he has been trash the past couple years which goes with Giants fans sentiments, they've been calling for his head for awhile now. I don't like his passive approach to defense.

I like Spags better than Fewell because he has that aggressive blitz heavy Jim Johnson defense.

Just personal opinion.. Guess we'll have to wait and see how this next season goes.

Reaction score
It is way too early to dismiss the Eagles. Sanchez probably won't get so many snaps next year.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
2012 is the year all the suspensions/sanctions were placed on the team. Sean Payton suspended the entire year and the distractions of the scandal destroyed that team. I'm not sure any coach would have done well in that situation.

You're making excuses as to why Spags did lousy with the Saints, on the flip-side excuses can be made as to why he did well with the Giants. Things really fell into place for the Giants that year. The Giants this year had quite a bit of bad luck with injuries on their defense, yet why isn't Fewell afforded the same excuses that is being made by you for Spags?

Different teams. That '07 Patriots team was looking at an undefeated season and had one of the best if not the best offense this league has ever seen. The Giants because of Spags' defense pulled off what everyone called at the time one of the biggest upsets in sports history.

I don't like Fewell because I think he has been trash the past couple years which goes with Giants fans sentiments, they've been calling for his head for awhile now. I don't like his passive approach to defense.

And the Giants' defense that Spags is taking over is a different defense than what he had in 2007. There are no Strahan, Kiwanuka, Osi, and Tuck in their primes.

I like Spags better than Fewell because he has that aggressive blitz heavy Jim Johnson defense.

Just personal opinion.. Guess we'll have to wait and see how this next season goes.

Spags really doesn't have much of a body of work --- only two years of total DC. You just cannot praise him for the '07 defense, and then ignore and/or excuse-make for the Saints' defense under him that was abysmal.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
You're making excuses as to why Spags did lousy with the Saints, on the flip-side excuses can be made as to why he did well with the Giants. Things really fell into place for the Giants that year. The Giants this year had quite a bit of bad luck with injuries on their defense, yet why isn't Fewell afforded the same excuses that is being made by you for Spags?

And the Giants' defense that Spags is taking over is a different defense than what he had in 2007. There are no Strahan, Kiwanuka, Osi, and Tuck in their primes

Spags really doesn't have much of a body of work --- only two years of total DC. You just cannot praise him for the '07 defense, and then ignore and/or excuse-make for the Saints' defense under him that was abysmal.

Gotta be honest here, Laz. We're gonna have to agree to disagree because I really don't care enough to get into this lengthy debate you're looking for.

Like I said, personal opinion. I like Spags' defense better. Just so happens someone in the Giants organization agrees with me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hopefully Philly trades away a couple of their good players and a bazillion picks to get him.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Even if Kelly wants him, I don't see how they even have enough ammo to get up that high, barring an Aaron Rodgers-like slide.

Top Bottom