Reaction score
Eagles release DeSean Jackson

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 28, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT

The Eagles are moving on from DeSean Jackson.

In a two-sentence, 25-word press release, the club announced Friday it had released Jackson, a Pro Bowl wideout who led Philadelphia in receiving a season ago.

“After careful consideration over this offseason, the Philadelphia Eagles have decided to part ways with DeSean Jackson,” the club said Friday. “The team informed him of his release today.”

The move — easily one of the biggest headline-makers of the NFL offseason — comes after weeks of trade rumors and public discussion of Jackson’s future with the Eagles.

On the field, the 27-year-old Jackson is one of the league’s most dynamic receivers. He set career-highs in catches (82) and yards (1,332) in 2013, his first year in coach Chip Kelly’s offense. A three-time Pro Bowler, the 5-foot-10, 175-pound Jackson has gained 17.2 yards per catch in his NFL career.

However, speculation the Eagles were looking to move on from Jackson has bubbled all offseason, with the organization doing little to suggest they were not weighing their options.

Now, Jackson is out in Philadelphia, and on the same day that a published report from NJ.com claimed the club was troubled by his off-field habits. The NJ.com report alleged that Jackson’s relationship with gang members was one of the issues that bothered the Eagles’ organization.

The focus now turns to the market for Jackson, who has the sort of field-stretching speed all teams covet. With Jackson’s availability seemingly no secret to anyone in recent weeks, it will be interesting to see if any teams, perhaps having readied for this moment, quickly jump into the fray.

Of course, any discussion of Jackson’s talents now must be balanced with contemplation of why the Eagles bid goodbye to one of their most talented players.

Reaction score
DeSean Jackson issues statement, denies being a gang member

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 28, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT

DeSean Jackson is as fast getting the word out as he is on the field.

And he can change directions equally well too.

Moments after his release he tweeted that he was in “Steady GRind Mode God Got the Plan !! Not Me ..“

Then came a statement in his name, via Adam Schefer of ESPN. You’ll notice the syntax is slightly different, and the capitalization is much better in this one even if the spelling of a key name isn’t.

“First I would like to thank the Eagles organization, the Eagles fans and the city of Philadelphia for my time in Philly,” the statement read. “I would also like to thank coach Andy Reed [sic] for bringing me in.

“Secondly, I would like to address the misleading and unfounded reports that my release has anything to do with any affiliation that has been speculated surrounding the company I keep off of the field. I would like to make it very clear that I am not and never have been part of any gang. I am not a gang member and to speculate and assume that I am involved in such activity off the field is reckless and irresponsible.

“I work very hard on and off the field and I am a good person with good values. I am proud of the accomplishments that I have made both on and off the field. I have worked tirelessly to give back to my community and have a positive impact on those in need. It is unfortunate that I now have to defend myself and my intentions. These reports are irresponsible and just not true . I look forward to working hard for my new team. God Bless.”

So there you go. Straight from the horse’s mouth. Or something.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Wasn't there some deal before here about sbk and Jackson? I seem to recall that.

Reaction score
Chase for DeSean Jackson can begin immediately

Posted by Mike Florio on March 28, 2014, 1:06 PM EDT

Now that the Eagles have cut receiver DeSean Jackson, he instantly becomes a free agent. Which means that he can sign with any team, at any time.

So where will he sign? Teams that definitely were interested in Jackson (although not at $10.5 million for 2014) at a time when he was merely on the trading block included the 49ers, Seahawks, and Jets. Teams like the Patriots and Raiders also could be thrown into the mix.

And then there’s the lure of keeping him in the NFC East, where Jackson would potentially face the Eagles twice per year.

There’s a distinct “win now” vibe permeating the NFL, with teams realizing that, if the coming year isn’t good enough, there may not be a next year for the people who make the decisions. Time and again, one coach believes he’ll be the guy to get through to a player who had been a problem elsewhere.

For now, it’s unclear how many teams will pursue Jackson. It’s also unclear whether a recent article from NJ.com regarding possible off-field concerns (more on that later) will make teams that previously were interested suddenly not interested.

Regardless, any team interested in Jackson would be wise to find out exactly why the Eagles decided to move on from Jackson less than three months after he produced a career year.

At this point, we know only that the Eagles aren’t interested in keeping him around — and that the Eagles weren’t able to line up a trade partner. Even with several more weeks until Jackson could have shown up for the offseason program and forced the team’s hand, the Eagles decided to close the books on Jackson and move on.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Bring Jackson and his posse to Dallas. Jackson's speed combined with Weeden's arm strength would be something special.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
We don't have the leadership necessary for a player like Jackson. Skill-wise, he'd be a great compliment to Dez.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
He and Dez could get a group discount on babysitters.

I say that jokingly, because I think Dez is starting to grow up and will not have the need for a handler forever.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wasn't there some deal before here about sbk and Jackson? I seem to recall that.

Yeah, sbk wanted to have his baby.

He swore Jackson was by far the best WR in the division and was one of the dominant players in the league.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I heard some black guys at work talking about it:

"Yeah they said he was in the Los Angeles Crips. He had flashed a gang sign against Washington in DC last year."

"They straight up released that man?"

"Yeah they did."

"I know who need him."

"Who that?"

"The 49ers."

Reaction score
When did it become the new call out to thank a previous coach and snub your current coach?

Top Bottom