Reaction score
It didn't take long.

Eagles top draft pick Danny Watkins is out as the starting right guard and the recently-acquired Kyle DeVan is in. DeVan, picked up off waivers on Sunday, took all the first team snaps during this morning's walkthrough, a team source said.

With just four days until the Eagles open the regular season at St. Louis, Andy Reid shook up his offensive line once again. This one wasn't as earth-rattling as moving Todd Herremans from left guard to right tackle, because Watkins has been struggling mightily, but it was just one more example that the line is a major concern heading into the season.

Asked if Watkins was his starter, Reid would not confirm, even though he had said following Thursday's preseason game against the New York Jets that the rookie was still at right guard.

"I'm not going to get into all the personnel things here," Reid said during his Wednesday press conference. "We'll see."

Watkins declined to confirm any changes.

"Nothing's changed for me," Watkins said. "We're approaching it like any other week, just getting familiar with the Rams' blitz and defense and fronts."

Since he was drafted in the first round of April's draft, Watkins has been penciled in as the starting right guard. He showed up late for training camp after negotiations for his contract lingered. He started once he arrived, but looked lost at various points in the first three preseason games.

He was also the only starter to play in the preseason finale against the Jets. Obviously, he didn't play well enough to hold onto his job.

"Sometimes it's good to take one small step back to take a big step forward," Reid said. Watkins "will be out there practicing. We got Kyle, who also can play, in that spot. We're comfortable with either direction that we go."

DeVan was released by the Colts on Saturday. He started nine games including all the playoffs for Indianapolis in 2009, and 12 games in 2010. Howard Mudd, the Eagles' current offensive line coach, was his coach in 2009.

"I’m not focused on getting the starting role – I’m focused on contributing and making this team the best it can be," said DeVan, who arrived and got his Eagles playbook just two days ago.

Since the first preseason game, the Eagles offensive line has had three starting right tackles (Ryan Harris, King Dunlap and Herremans), two right guards (Watkins and DeVan), two centers (Jamaal Jackson and Jason Kelce), two left guards (Herremans and Evan Mathis) and Jason Peters at left tackle.

"Coach Reid always does everything with the best interests of the team and the guys," Herremans said. "so this is the right move for right now."

Reaction score
well at least if they ever have a fire in the locker room u know he will be there 2 save the "dream team" lol

Reaction score
He's a good player. He'll be fine. Its a good decision to give him some time rather than throw him to the wolves if he isn't ready.

Reaction score
This is probably just a small thing that Watkins will eventually overcome. Probably has more to do with Mudd being comfortable with a known quantity (a guy he coached in Indy) than a complete lack of faith in Watkins.

Reaction score
cant give him 2 much time he's 26 already lol

Put it this way.. if Watkins isn't starting by midseason, i'll be suprised. I think he just needs a little more time to learn the system and probably improve his technique and such.

Top Bottom