Reaction score
Dungy's Romo analysis not welcomed by Cowboys
By Jan Hubbard

jhubbard@star-telegram.com

IRVING -- Wade Phillips wasn't aware of Tony Dungy's latest attack on the Dallas Cowboys, but when he was told, he had a humorous response.

Last year, Dungy irritated the Cowboys by saying they had no chance to beat an undefeated Saints team in New Orleans -- and he proved to be lacking as a prognosticator as the Cowboys defeated the Saints 24-17.

Then on Sunday, Dungy said on NBC that the Cowboys' Tony Romo is lacking as a quarterback and a leader.

"Part of being a leader at the quarterback position is protecting the football," Dungy said. "You've got to do that to be a great quarterback."

That was after Romo was intercepted three times in the loss to Tennessee.

Phillips said that in a 1977 game when he was on the Houston Oilers' staff and they were playing Pittsburgh, Dungy was forced to come in the game as the quarterback after starter Terry Bradshaw and backup Mike Kruczek were knocked out of the game with injuries.

"He turned it over several times," Phillips said. "I believe he fumbled the first snap."

In that game, Dungy completed only 3 of 8 passes for 43 yards and was intercepted twice.

Dungy also was convenient in his criticism. He failed to mention that Romo had a career-low nine interceptions in 2009, which tied him for third fewest in the league among quarterbacks who started all 16 games.

Romo responded on Thursday by saying that Dungy was not qualified to judge his leadership skills because Dungy had never attended a Cowboys practice.

"He can come along if he wants to see," said Romo, who invited Dungy to attend Dallas practices. "He can see it anytime you're out here. That's just part of it. If you'd ask any of my coaches, you'd probably get a different answer. If Tony Dungy was in here, it'd be the same way."

Owner dislikes call

Although Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was not harsh in his criticism of the excessive celebration penalty against tackle Marc Colombo on Sunday, Jones did not like the call.

Colombo was penalized 15 yards after a touchdown with less than 5 minutes left in the game and the Cowboys had to kick off from their 15-yard line. Tennessee had a 73-yard runback and then scored the winning TD.

Jones said that while he was a member of the competition committee, he was always in favor of celebrations.

"I think it's fun," he said. "I think it's fun for the fans. I do not think it takes away from the players or the sanctity of the game.

"I really don't think that somebody falling down was an intended consequence of the rule to have that dramatic effect on a ballgame."

Briefly

Rookie receiver Dez Bryant missed practice with a sore ankle and Wade Phillips said there is concern that Bryant might not be able to play against Minnesota on Sunday.

If center Andre Gurode (knee) can't play, Kyle Kosier will move from left guard to center and Montrae Holland will start at guard.

The Cowboys reached the 53-man roster limit Thursday when they signed offensive tackle Jermey Parnell off the Saints' practice squad.

Practice squad wide receiver Jesse Holley worked again with the first team special teams unit on Thursday and if he is put on the active roster, a move will be required.

Jan Hubbard, 817-390-7760

Looking for comments?

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/10/14/2548357/dungys-romo-analysis-not-welcomed.html#ixzz12SHyxQJd

Reaction score
Almost all of Romo's interceptions this year have been on tipped balls off his receivers hands.

Spare me the "Romo isn't a leader" crap.

Reaction score
Almost all of Romo's interceptions this year have been on tipped balls off his receivers hands.

Spare me the "Romo isn't a leader" crap.

Tony Romo is an infidel and we'll only be better by getting rid of him.

Don't ask me who we replace him with because the Romophobes haven't got up to that part yet.

C

Cr122

Tony Romo is an infidel and we'll only be better by getting rid of him.

Don't ask me who we replace him with because the Romophobes haven't got up to that part yet.

I just hope we don't have another Danny White on our hands.

Top Bottom