Cr122

Draft Watch: Clemson S DeAndre McDaniel
APR 20 3:06 AM CT

By Bryan Broaddus and Tim MacMahon
DeANDRE McDANIEL
Position: Safety
College: Clemson
Scouts Inc. ranking: No. 142 overall

Bio: Two-time first-team All-ACC selection finished his college career with 285 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, 15 interceptions, 16 quarterback pressures, 20 pass breakups, and three caused fumbles. … Only player in Clemson history who had at least 15 interceptions and 15 tackles for losses. … Moved from a rover position to strong safety for his junior season, when he tied a school record with eight interceptions. … Big hitter with nose for the ball who has drawn comparisons to Clemson alum Brian Dawkins. … Overcame a difficult childhood with his mother reportedly being arrested dozens of times. He was raised by his grandmother and godmother and matured into an honor roll student in college.

ncf_i_dmcdaniel1_200.jpg

Jeremy Brevard/Icon SMI
Clemson safety DeAndre McDaniel has a reputation for being a big hitter, but that wasn't always apparent on game video.

Size: 6-foot-1, 217 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.64
Arm length: 32 1/2 inches
Hand size: 10 1/8 inches
225-pound bench press reps: did not lift at combine
Broad jump: 9 feet, 8 inches
Vertical jump: 35 inches
(Did not run shuttles or three-cone drill because of groin injury)

Broaddus Breakdown (viewed Auburn, Florida State, South Carolina, South Florida games): Physically, is a good-looking player. Really looks the part of a strong safety. Has a slow, upright pedal without the feet quickness. ... You can tell that he sees plays develop, but he will struggle to get going. In scouting terms he is a "creeper." He pedals slow, creeping along, then he reacts. ... Can tell that he is aware of his lack of foot speed because he will play very deep. Not as deep as Ed Reed did at Miami off the screen, but at a good distance. ... Made two nice plays on the ball in the Auburn game when he came off the hash and played the ball well in the air. Was able to get over on the play because Cam Newton hung the ball up to the receiver and allowed McDaniel to break on it. ... Had 15 interceptions in his college career, which is amazing to me because I don't see the quickness or the burst to make a bunch of plays in the passing game. Is really not a smooth-moving player. Not a fluid moving player at all. Will labor when he has to get in position. ... Is a very aggressive player and will get fooled on play-action trying to come forward. Will tend to float and drift in the secondary, then read the route and break on the ball. Will bite on routes. Looks like he is trying to read the quarterback or play, then make his move. ... Was used as a blitzer against Florida State but did a poor job of timing the blitz, using his hands and shedding the block. Didn't pressure the back at all. ... Bothered me that for his size, he isn't in many piles. He is a chippy guy around them but not always in them. Would not call him a wrap-up tackler. As a matter of fact, he was worst of the safeties that I studied. He will come at the ball carrier, then just throw his body in the way. There are scouts that say that he is a big hitter, but I did not see that in the games I studied. ... Strong safety only that will struggle to cover down field consistently; will need to go to a team that has a free safety that will play with some range to help him.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Another large-framed safety who's slow and doesn't have the coverage skills to succeed at the next level.

NO.

Top Bottom