sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by nickeatman at 4/4/2011 2:59 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

This week will be a busy one for the Cowboys’ coaches and scouts as several draft prospects, ranging from Top 10 picks to possible seventh-rounders and rookie free agents will be invading both Valley Ranch and Cowboys Stadium.

Starting Monday evening, more than 20 top-notch players are expected to head to town to visit with the team, including possible meetings with owner Jerry Jones. In recent years, the Cowboys have ended up drafting many players who attended these pre-draft visits, including guys like DeMarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer, Felix Jones and of course, Dez Bryant last season.

With the Cowboys holding the No. 9 overall pick, this year’s crop of visits should include many potential first-round picks, such as USC tackle Tyron Smith, Colorado tackle Nate Solder and Florida center Mike Pouncey.

At the end of the week, the Cowboys will hold their annual Dallas Day workouts for lower-tier players who either played high school or college ball in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metrolplex. Dallas Day is an actual workout, where the Cowboys have been able to land players such as Patrick Crayton and Jacques Reeves from their extended visit.

This year, there could be a few TCU players on board, such as quarterback Andy Dalton and receiver Jeremy Kerley. Former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy, who starred at nearby Southlake Carroll, could be in attendance for the workout as well.

sbk92

Reaction score
Players coming in for Dallas Day

By Calvin Watkins

The Cowboys will get visits from three players Friday as part of Dallas Day, where prospective area draft picks can visit Valley Ranch and speak with team officials.

TCU CB Jason Teague, a second-team All-Mountain West selection, TCU WR Jimmy Young, who ran a 4.58 at his Pro Day, and Oklahoma FS Jonathan Nelson, All-Big 12 honorable mention, are among the players coming in for a visit.

However, over the next two days, the Cowboys willl meet with at least 30 players at Valley Ranch as part of their national visits.

Among the players scheduled to visit are Louisville RB Bilal Powell, USC T Tyron Smith, Boston College T Anthony Castonzo, Colorado T Nate Solder and Florida C Mike Pouncey.

Of note, the only Pro Day that coach Jason Garrett has attended so far was at USC. Several mock drafts have the Cowboys selecting Smith at No. 9 overall.

sbk92

Reaction score
Watt, Smith, Solder Headline Visits

Posted by nickeatman at 4/5/2011 9:44 AM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Despite the current rules of the lockout, the NFL still allows teams to hold at least 30 Pre-Draft visits at the practice facility. And this week, the Cowboys are taking full advantage.

Over the next two days, the Cowboys are hosting all 30 players at Valley Ranch and Cowboys Stadium. On Tuesday, 16 players, including several potential first-round picks were at Valley Ranch, meeting with the coaches, scouts and some with owner/GM Jerry Jones.

Here are the 16 players visiting the Cowboys on Tuesday:

J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
Tyron Smith, OT, USC
Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
Rahim Moore, S, UCLA
Kelvin Sheppard, LB, LSU
Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
Edmund Gates, WR, Abilene Christian
Kenrick Ellis, DT, Hampton
Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina
Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
Stevan Ridley, RB, LSU
Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
Cecil Shorts, WR, Mount Union
Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois

There are about 14 players expected to visit the Cowboys on Wednesday as well. Among those players include Louisville RB Bilal Powell, Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi and Boston College OT Anthony Costonzo.

In the past, the Cowboys have used this visitation period to get one last chance to gather information about these players. Some of the prospects will meet with the coaches and go over game film to get a better idea of the players’ grasp of a certain scheme.

Players such as DeMarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer, Felix Jones and Dez Bryant were drafted after attending the Cowboys’ Pre-Draft visits.

C

Cr122

I would be pretty happy with just about any of those prospects.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
That's a very solid list of guys that are coming in.

I especially like seeing Ellis on that list.

C

Cr122

That's a very solid list of guys that are coming in.

I especially like seeing Ellis on that list.

Kenrick Ellis would be an excellent fit for us. Then move Ratliff over to DE.

Plus we still have Josh Brent.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm not really interested in J.J. White.

I'd have given Solder the wrong directions.

Baldwin, only in the middle rounds.

I wonder if we're looking at Williams as a S.

Other than that, a decent list. There's a couple of my mid round targets on there.

C

Cr122

I'm not really interested in J.J. White.

I'd have given Solder the wrong directions.

Baldwin, only in the middle rounds.

I wonder if we're looking at Williams as a S.

Other than that, a decent list. There's a couple of my mid round targets on there.

I'm thinking the same thing about Aaron Williams, a lot of scouts have him converting to safety in the NFL.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing about Aaron Williams, a lot of scouts have him converting to safety in the NFL.

It's the only way I'd be on board with the pick. He's a late 1st/early 2nd projection. Too high for a depth corner.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Watt, Smith, Solder Headline Visits

Posted by nickeatman at 4/5/2011 9:44 AM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Despite the current rules of the lockout, the NFL still allows teams to hold at least 30 Pre-Draft visits at the practice facility. And this week, the Cowboys are taking full advantage.

Over the next two days, the Cowboys are hosting all 30 players at Valley Ranch and Cowboys Stadium. On Tuesday, 16 players, including several potential first-round picks were at Valley Ranch, meeting with the coaches, scouts and some with owner/GM Jerry Jones.

Here are the 16 players visiting the Cowboys on Tuesday:

J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin ----NO.
Tyron Smith, OT, USC ----YES.
Nate Solder, OT, Colorado ----NO.
Rahim Moore, S, UCLA ----YES.
Kelvin Sheppard, LB, LSU ----YES.
Brandon Burton, CB, Utah ----YES.
Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh ----YES.
Edmund Gates, WR, Abilene Christian ----YES.
Kenrick Ellis, DT, Hampton ----YES.
Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina ----YES.
Aaron Williams, CB, Texas ----NO.
Stevan Ridley, RB, LSU ----MAYBE.
Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State ----YES.
Cecil Shorts, WR, Mount Union ----YES.
Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville ----YES.
Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois ----YES.

There are about 14 players expected to visit the Cowboys on Wednesday as well. Among those players include Louisville RB Bilal Powell, Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi and Boston College OT Anthony Costonzo.

In the past, the Cowboys have used this visitation period to get one last chance to gather information about these players. Some of the prospects will meet with the coaches and go over game film to get a better idea of the players’ grasp of a certain scheme.

Players such as DeMarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer, Felix Jones and Dez Bryant were drafted after attending the Cowboys’ Pre-Draft visits.

Not a bad group that's coming in. Jenkins did have a visit.

Top Bottom