Reaction score
Feb
2/22/2011 5:58:37 AM | More

Rick Stroud of the St. Petersburg-Times reports Doug Williams is excited about returning for a second stint as coach at Grambling State, where his son, D.J., just enrolled as a freshman quarterback.

But after serving for six seasons in the Bucs scouting department, he believes the "good ol' boy fraternity" still limits front office opportunities for minorities in the NFL.

"I was (at Grambling State) six years, I left and was gone for six years, and now I get a chance to go back," Williams said Monday. "Things happen for a reason. How many dads get a chance to go and do what I can do? I got to play there, coach there, leave, go back and coach my son there.

"I left Tampa Bay in '82 and good things happened. When you do right by people, they don't mind having you back."

"The good ol' boy network is alive and well," Williams said. "But it's changed from the good ol' boy network to the fraternity. I always find a way to overcome and just keep going forward.

"I look at it this way: You've got guys sitting in the front office that never coached. I just didn't coach college; I coached high school. If you've got the patience and time to coach high school, you can do other jobs. There are guys who learned the (football) language and never got their hands dirty, per se. They can't go back and get their hands dirty again.

"I'm not frustrated at all. When I left the (NFL) the first time, things happened for me."

Top Bottom