Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
[video=youtube;AZxD_uV5kyk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZxD_uV5kyk&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

How this guy can be considered at #14 is mind-boggling.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Does a terrible job of anchoring, but I think what the scouts like about him is his ability to translate to the Pro game. He's plenty explosive and quick. Looks like a nice 3-4 DE.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Does a terrible job of anchoring, but I think what the scouts like about him is his ability to translate to the Pro game. He's plenty explosive and quick. Looks like a nice 3-4 DE.

That'd be a hell of a translation.

Downright awful at times to a serviceable pro?

I guess I can see where someone might get jacked on the thought of being able to coach him. For some reason he thinks he's Dwight Freeney with the spin move when he should just be going through people.

Whoever that LT is in that video, he pretty much ate Poe's lunch.

For a guy with all world athleticism and strength, he sure doesn't know how to use it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Scouts are obviously wrong alot, but apparently few in the NFL agree with your assesment of Poe

Even before blowing up at the combine, Poe was regarded as a fairly early draft pick. Most had him late 1st/early 2nd.

He plays a tough position to grade, and is surrounded by guys who basically have no shot of ever playing on Sunday. Memphis is a dreadful football team. Its not hard for opposing offensive coaches to game plan around 1 guy.

I'm not advocating that we take him at 14, but I dont think watching tape of one game or looking at a stat box is enough to draw a conclusion about the guy either.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
From PFW:

Upside:
• Outstanding size and anchor strength
• Caves the pocket
• Surprisingly nimble
• Nice lateral agility
• Heavy hands
• Two-gap ability
• Strong tackler

Downside:
• Short arms
• Inconsistent get-off
• Could improve pass-rush arsenal
• Minimal sack production
• Stamina has to be monitored
• Could be meaner

The Way We See It:
One of the most physically gifted prospects in this year’s draft class, Poe is a “planet theory” poster boy with rare quickness, athleticism and ease of movement for his size. Could play with more snarl, but is tough and durable with big upside as a “30” front anchor.

02/27/2012 (Scout's Eye):

Although Memphis DT Dontari Poe is still relatively raw on the football field, he blew the doors off his Combine workout, displaying rare movement skills and agility for a near 350-pounder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11/12/2011 (Audibles):

NFL evaluator: "(Memphis DT) Dontari Poe is not going to show up a lot in the stat box, but he is a disruptor. He moves very well for his size, and he's around the ball a lot."

C

Cr122

Poe's growing on me quickly. He might not even be there at 14. He could go in the top 10.

I'm not falling for the taking plays off bit either.

Top Bottom