Reaction score
Don't be dumb, Cowboys! Put Romo on IR, play McGee
090501_NS_01CowboysK.jpg

Don't do it Jerry. Don't even think about it.
Not for a minute. Or an hour. Or a day.

Don't let your ego compromise this team's future. Don't let your pride get in the way of common sense.

There's not a single good reason for Tony Romo, who's expected to miss eight weeks with a fractured left collarbone, to play another down this season.

That would be dumber than letting Jimmy Johnson leave. Dumber than not drafting Randy Moss. Even dumber than the backup draft of 1995.

Feel me?

Actually, the Cowboys should put Romo on injured reserve as soon as possible to make sure Jerry doesn't do something that he's ultimately going to regret.

Eight losses essentially eliminates the Cowboys from playoff contention. They already have five losses and their next four games are against Jacksonville at home, on the road against Green Bay and the New York Giants and at home against Detroit.

An optimist sees three wins. A realist sees one win; two at the most.
After all, this team was 0-3 at Cowboys Stadium with Romo playing quarterback. As Wade Phillips so eloquently put it, the Cowboys have lost games when they generated five turnovers, when they gained 500 yards, when they held their opponent to 188 yards of offense and when it didn't allow an offensive touchdown.

There's no tangible evidence to suggest Jon Kitna will lead this team on a winning streak that will have the Cowboys poised to make the playoffs when Romo is ready to play in the last two games of the season.

Plus, the combination of a struggling offensive line and no running game exposes Jerry's most important asset to unnecessary harm.

This season is a wrap. Done. Kaput. The fans know it.

The players, deep in their hearts, know it too.

If Jerry's honest, he knows it. If not, then vice president Stephen Jones needs to sit him down, look him in the eye and force him to accept the reality of the Cowboys' plight.

This is no time for delusions of grandeur. This is the time for a dose of reality.

These Cowboys aren't going to win more than five games, if that. And there are going to be some ugly losses as the realization sets in that the season has been an utter embarrassment and some players quit.

Jerry needs to take the top-10 draft pick, perhaps even a top-five selection, that accompanies the disappointment of this wretched season, and use it to fortify a roster badly in need of a talent infusion.

Go get the tackle to pair with Doug Free in the first round. Get a playmaking safety who can cover in the second round. And add a center capable of playing guard in the third round.

As for the rest of this season, it's time to find out about guys like Stephen McGee.

When the eighth loss occurs, it's time to see if McGee is capable of being Romo's backup next season. There should be zero questions about his future when the season ends.

If he can play, great. If not, Jerry should feel free to use one of those premium picks on a developmental quarterback like Philadelphia did when it drafted Kevin Kolb in the second round in 2007, or he should acquire a backup who's not eligible for AARP membership.

As the season heads into November and December, give linebacker Sean Lee, nose tackle Josh Brent, defensive end Stephen Bowen, tight end Martellus Bennett, receiver Dez Bryant, guard Phil Costa, tackle Sam Young and safety Akwasi Owusu-Ansah more playing time.

This season is a disaster, but something good can be salvaged.

To do so requires Jerry to deal with the reality of this lost season to ensure it doesn't happen again next season – no matter who's coaching the Cowboys.

[SIZE=-1]03:10 PM CDT on Wednesday, October 27, 2010

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]COLUMN By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News
jjtaylor@dallasnews.com
[/SIZE]
• • •​

C

Cr122

I don't see any reason for Romo to play another down this year.

Play Kitna and McGee.

C

Cr122

Agreed, Sit Romo.

I don't want Romo behind this shit line.

Let's wait until next year when we get a real coaching staff in here that can help draft players to protect our franchise QB.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I hope we see McGee get some PT this yr, but not right now.

Although me winning the lotto might be more likely, there's still an outside chance we COULD make a run. Once that time has gone, I'd consider getting McGee some reps. Maybe he starts the last 2 or 3 games of the yr.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Is this a JJT piece?

Does he ask, "Feel me?" in every piece(of shit) he writes?

C

Cr122

Although me winning the lotto might be more likely, there's still an outside chance we COULD make a run. Once that time has gone, I'd consider getting McGee some reps. Maybe he starts the last 2 or 3 games of the yr.

Yeah, we have to see if McGee can play or not. If not we need to find another QB to back up Romo. Kitna isn't getting any younger.

Plymkr

Reaction score

Although me winning the lotto might be more likely, there's still an outside chance we COULD make a run. Once that time has gone,.

I think you are going to be come a lottery winner soon. This team isn't going anywhere and why would they? And why would we want them too? I mean, obviously being fans we do, but, come on now.

They aren't going to do anything in the playoffs even if they do get on a roll. The mentality is in place. they don't have that hunger from what I can see and have watched.

It will be just another tease, while other teams with less "talent" but better coaching and players goes on to win the Super Bowl.

Reaction score
Email exchange between myself and JJT:

me said:
I can't believe I just read one of your articles where you included the following sentence:

"Feel me?"

Do you have any pride as a columnist/journalist?

jjt said:
I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. I use a conversational style that works for me. I mean, I have reached he top of my profession. Thanks for the note, but if you don't like it, then don't read it.

me said:
Thanks for the suggestion, Jean. I won't read.

It's called standards. Seeing as how you consider yourself at the "top of your profession", you might want to consider some. There are a thousand blogs authored by hobbyists who use your "coversational style."

Whats next? The inclusion of a "naw sayin" or "aight?"

For shits and giggles . . . I cc'd some of his bosses (tdavis@dallasnews.com, lleavell@dallasnews.com, gshelby@dallasnews.com).

Reaction score
jjt said:
Have a great day. You sound a little bitter. Be Blessed. FYI: It’s Jean-Jacques. Not Jean or Jacques. A hyphen means it’s one word. Wasn’t sure if you knew that.

me said:
Jean,

Sorry about the name thing. Feel me?

We're like best friends now.

Fordman84

Spectator
Reaction score
Put Romo on IR and then go trolling the other teams practice squads for an OL that someone may be trying to hide. Is there a Jon Daniels type NFL guy we could hire?

Reaction score
Put Romo on IR and then go trolling the other teams practice squads for an OL that someone may be trying to hide. Is there a Jon Daniels type NFL guy we could hire?

We just signed a tackle from New Orleans. I think we're already carrying 9 or 10 lineman.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I just caught that email exchange.

Good laugh. Thanks for that.

Controversial style? I guess, if that's what you want to call it.

He should have some freedom fries and STFU.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I can't believe the Gremlin look-a-like had the audacity to tell someone he's reached the top of his profession.

That may be true, but he's had plenty of "help" along the way and "help" maintaining his job that he blows at.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score

Just caught it myself.Pure gold.

I sent emails to Peter King and Matt Mosley some 3 or 4 weeks back.Nothing in reply.Eh,probably just as well.

Still,good stuff by Midswat,loved the "Sorry about the name thing".Classic.

sbk92

Reaction score
JJT once told me in an email that fans don't know what they're talking about because they don't have access to the team like he does.

Top Bottom