Reaction score
Here is an article where appearantly Lee Roy Jordan discusses Sean Lee's play.

It got me wondering. I, personally, couldn't care less when former players comment on current players. I don't care what Staubach thinks of Romo. I'd rather read a ccboy post than read Drew Pearson's opinion on Dez Bryant.

And it's not just because those players are before my time as a fan. I jumped on the Cowboys bandwagon in 1992. Still... I have zero interest in what Emmitt Smith thinks. Irvin is a clown. And while I'm one of the few people that think Aikman is a good commentator for games, I don't give much thought to his opinions on the current team.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

I notice a lot of media guys seem to do this - interview past players and write articles off of what said past player thinks of current player.

Do you guys like reading that stuff. Or do you like some of it, i.e. give more credence to what one guy says over another, etc. If so, who?

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
I happen to like to hear what former players say but I especially like to hear what former coaches have to say. Its all relative to who the coach or player is.

I really like hearing what Jimmy Johnson has to say about current players. He is not over the top or too gushing about players. He is relatively honest about strengths and weaknesses.

Don Shula is another coach who when he speaks about players I listen. He has the same appraoch as Jimmy.

Dennis Green thinks every player is great and never gives you the other side of the equation. Does he lack intangibles, speed. Can he get past blocks

Reaction score
Well yeah, coaches and scouts, I pay more attention to.

But players themselves are pretty useless, IMO.

Reaction score
There might be a small handful of former players I pay attention to. Trent Dilfer is one of them.

Reaction score
I listen to the relics... the ones who've won it all. They can speak from experience.

I wouldn't take the time to listen to say, Steve Pelleuer or Herschel Walker, but I'd care about what guys like Bill Bates or Mark Stepnoski said.

Jimmy Johnson is almost golden in my book.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
depends on the person.

Deion sanders and michael irvin, no never.

Babe Laufeberg, yes always.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Assuming they're telling the truth, absolutely. But when Staubach endorses or runs interference for every Dallas QB under the sun, something is amiss.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Assuming they're telling the truth, absolutely. But when Staubach endorses or runs interference for every Dallas QB under the sun, something is amiss.

staubach is a really nice guy and is also a fan.

I dont think he has any interest in being the type of guy who goes on tv and tells people how to do things or how they suck or whatever. Dont think its in his personality

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It doesn't matter to me.

Pearson used to kill everyone on the team because he was bitter. So everytime the media needed a bitter quote, they knew where to go.

If they're not around the team, watching things etc they have no more insight than any other scrub. Nate Newton would be an exception I think.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I listen to the relics... the ones who've won it all. They can speak from experience.

I wouldn't take the time to listen to say, Steve Pelleuer or Herschel Walker, but I'd care about what guys like Bill Bates or Mark Stepnoski said.

Jimmy Johnson is almost golden in my book.

We have very few rules here but if you badmouth Herschel Walker again, on this board or even in the privacy of your home, you can expect the full extent of my wrath.

Reaction score
I like to hear from the former players, but I don't usually put much stock in their observations about the current team or current players ... unless it is someone who is actually close to the current team.

However, I did think that Drew Pearson made an interesting observation about Garrett after the Seattle game. Pearson said he thought Garrett was making a Landry-like error in play calling ... instead of focusing on plays that the offense tends to executed well (and making the defense stop it), focusing more on out-scheming the opponent.

63echo

Reaction score
I like to hear from the former players, but I don't usually put much stock in their observations about the current team or current players ... unless it is someone who is actually close to the current team.

However, I did think that Drew Pearson made an interesting observation about Garrett after the Seattle game. Pearson said he thought Garrett was making a Landry-like error in play calling ... instead of focusing on plays that the offense tends to executed well (and making the defense stop it), focusing more on out-scheming the opponent.

That's a good observation, but I think any of us schlubs could make the same one and, in fact, have. I put zero stock into anything these former players say unless they're close to the team. In fact, I'd venture to say that a lot of the board vultures here and elsewhere know more about what's going on with the Cowboys than someone like Sapp.

Reaction score
That's a good observation, but I think any of us schlubs could make the same one and, in fact, have. I put zero stock into anything these former players say unless they're close to the team. In fact, I'd venture to say that a lot of the board vultures here and elsewhere know more about what's going on with the Cowboys than someone like Sapp.

We schlubs have often taken issue with Garrett's play calling, but I did get something out of Pearson drawing the comparison between Landry's and Garrett's weaknesses. Not sure the observation is true, but I did think it was interesting.

I agree entirely, though, that serious fans of the Cowboys know more about what's going on with the team than the average national level ex-jock media type ... like Golic or Sapp or Faulk or any of those guys.

Top Bottom