Reaction score
What is Jerry Jones' succession plan with the Dallas Cowboys?
DAVID MOORE Staff Writer
Published: 23 July 2014 12:54 PM
Updated: 23 July 2014 12:57 PM

Alzheimer's has forced Pat Bowlen to relinquish control of the Denver Broncos. He's 70.

That's one year younger than Jerry Jones.

Jones has no apparent health concerns that could impact his stewardship of the Cowboys. But with Bowlen's declining condition and the death of four owners in the past two years _ Buffalo's Ralph Wilson, Tennessee's Bud Adams, Detroit's William Ford and Tampa Bay's Malcolm Glazer _ succession is a key topic in league circles.

Jones said recently that the NFL requires every owner to sit down with league officials once a year to outline their succession plan and to update them on any changes that may have occurred.

"They can't have chaos among ownership,'' Jones said. "I can't, the Cowboys can't afford chaos because it impacts us all.

"The league has every right to demand it. They are diligent about it. It's huge as to the financial aspects, the financial consequences, the tax consequences, how it can impact fans and the league.''

Jones believes one of the most important decisions he will make is how the franchise will be run once he's gone.

"The point is, the structure and the stability of the franchise can be impacted by death or a changing of the guard,'' the 71-year old owner said earlier this year leading up to the 25th anniversary of his purchase of the Cowboys. "This has wounded other franchises.

"Our plan, frankly, I've had this plan since I bought the team. What I didn't know was how effective these people were going to be and how focused and interested they were going to be in the ensuing years.''

Stephen Jones is the chief operating officer and executive vice president. Charlotte Jones Anderson is an executive vice president and chief brand officer. Jerry Jones Jr. is an executive vice president and chief sales and marketing officer.

"I can tell you they have made it their lives,'' Jones said. "We have other things and manage other things, but everything else is secondary.

"Sitting here 25 years later, it would have to go down as a highlight, our working relationship. Anyone who knows family relationships knows that working together does not necessarily work out, especially between siblings. I'm very proud of the fact that publicly and privately, I have people say the thing that impresses them most about me is my family.''

So what is the succession plan? Jones laughed.

"There is enough to go around,'' he said.

COWBOYS Q&A
Question: What about the Cowboys QB situation? Who will be the back-up and 3rd QB? Should we assume Weeden 100 percent?
Tim Cowlishaw: It's Weeden for sure until a move gets made. The Orton thing surprises me in how, once again, the Cowboys organization looks either hapless or clueless depending upon your point of view. They're not even capable of communicating with their own players so they have to take a $2 million cap hit next year? Strange. As for Weeden, he looked pretty good, at least for a half, the only time he played in Arlington for the Browns, so I wouldn't worry too much about him. As for the 3rd QB, if he ever becomes relevant, this Cowboys season is more lost than the Rangers' season.
Question: To think I felt bad for Orton after throwing that crushing pick. Turns out, he just wanted the season to be over. He's nothing but a greedy, heartless sob. Takes the money and quits.
Cowlishaw: Actually, he's leaving a lot of money on the table. Yes, he got some along the way. He's just a guy who doesn't want to play football any more.
Question: So what happens now when Tony Romo gets injured? It's inevitable and now we're looking at Brandon Weeden — trouble on the horizon?
Cowlishaw: Aren't the Packers in big trouble if Rodgers gets hurt? The Patriots if Brady gets hurt? The Broncos with Manning, the Saints with Brees? Which team is in good shape even if its quarterback goes down? Other than the Browns, of course, when Hoyer gets hurt.
Question: Assume Zack Martin is what he is and is solid. What other Cowboy rookie could have the biggest impact this season?
Cowlishaw: If it isn't Lawrence, then the team is in trouble. They made a concerted effort, trading up, cashing in a third-round pick to take the Boise State player higher than some thought he would go. He needs to be a player.
Question: Simple question: would you bring Josh Brent back?
Cowlishaw: I would not. This team is no stranger to high-risk players and troubled athletes, but I think they need to put the Brent episode behind them and move on. They found serviceable defensive linemen last year. They can do it again.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They made a concerted effort, trading up, cashing in a third-round pick to take the Boise State player higher than some thought he would go.
Hmm. Yes, for a player who probably would have still been there at Dallas' 16th pick in round two.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Hmm. Yes, for a player who probably would have still been there at Dallas' 16th pick in round two.

He would have more then likely been gone.

Question: Simple question: would you bring Josh Brent back?
Cowlishaw: I would not. This team is no stranger to high-risk players and troubled athletes, but I think they need to put the Brent episode behind them and move on. They found serviceable defensive linemen last year. They can do it again.

I don't want Brent back but the linemen we got last year were not serviceable.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He would have more then likely been gone.
If you look at the O-Linemen chosen in the first three rounds, you'll see it wasn't a priority for most teams. There's every bit as good of a chance Martin would have been there at Dallas' 16th pick in the 2nd as not. Certainly, there was no justification to trade your 3rd round pick for him. He's a first AND a third now.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
We are talking about Lawrence. We traded our 2nd and 3rd for him.

If you think Martin would have lasted till the 2nd round you nuts.

Reaction score
Question: What about the Cowboys QB situation? Who will be the back-up and 3rd QB? Should we assume Weeden 100 percent?
Tim Cowlishaw: It's Weeden for sure until a move gets made. The Orton thing surprises me in how, once again, the Cowboys organization looks either hapless or clueless depending upon your point of view. They're not even capable of communicating with their own players so they have to take a $2 million cap hit next year? Strange. As for Weeden, he looked pretty good, at least for a half, the only time he played in Arlington for the Browns, so I wouldn't worry too much about him. As for the 3rd QB, if he ever becomes relevant, this Cowboys season is more lost than the Rangers' season.

Wrong. Weeden is just a loser: he is a decent athlete who ended up playing football right now- the ONLY reason this idiot is on the team is his exposure to Jason's system and pervious coaching by Norv Turner. Any coach who comes here after Jason is going to dump this chump in favor of a QB who is actually going to help the team now and in the future. Jason's litmus test for his free agents and especially his QBs is the equivalent to only accepting geographers to an academic program based on their extensive knowledge of the flat earth theory.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We are talking about Lawrence.
Mea Culpa. My bad.

I do however believe still, that if Martin wouldn't still have been there in the middle of the second round, another lineman with comparable abilities would have been. With THREE first rounders in the line now, hopefully that excuse at least is excised.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
If you look at the O-Linemen chosen in the first three rounds, you'll see it wasn't a priority for most teams. There's every bit as good of a chance Martin would have been there at Dallas' 16th pick in the 2nd as not. Certainly, there was no justification to trade your 3rd round pick for him. He's a first AND a third now.

Do you have any idea of what the fuck you're talking about? First, there is NO chance Martin would have lasted until the middle of the 2nd round. Second, we didn't trade shit for him. We took him at our spot in the first.

You spew so much shit, you're interchanging our first two draft choices in your attempt to sound smart. And btw, I really doubt Lawrence would have been available at our 2nd round spot, either.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Do you have any idea of what the fuck you're talking about? First, there is NO chance Martin would have lasted until the middle of the 2nd round. Second, we didn't trade shit for him. We took him at our spot in the first.

You spew so much shit, you're interchanging our first two draft choices in your attempt to sound smart. And btw, I really doubt Lawrence would have been available at our 2nd round spot, either.
Yes I had Lawrence and Martin confused, if you read on.

I suppose assumptions are all we have. You assume he wouldn't have been there (both guys actually) I assume they likely would have been, based on how the draft actually went.

So, here's how "dumb" I really am. I TAKE Manziel with the 16th pick especially since he was at the TOP of the draft board when that pick came. Then I worry about getting a good OL player in the second round.

What, we can't coach up a second round lineman?

Angrymesscan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Are we sure Doomsday is not a Mid alt? They seem to know about the same about football...

Top Bottom