Reaction score
One undrafted free agent WR is making a big impression on the Dallas Cowboys
By Kate Hairopoulos

OXNARD, Calif. -- Undrafted free agent wide receiver Andy Jones is making a big impression on the Cowboys.

After Sunday's Blue-White Scrimmage, team owner Jerry Jones winked and volunteered his thoughts on the rookie out of Jacksonville, a member of the non-scholarship Pioneer Football League that competes in the NCAA's Football Championship Subdivision.

"I thought 81 looked good," Jerry Jones said. "Coach [Jason Garrett] said he wanted to see him with pads. He sure had some good OTAs [organized team activities] and things like that. He's showing that he knows how to throw his size and weight around out there. I like the way he's coming off aggressive against those [defensive backs]. He's really showing something."

The club brought in Jones, 6-1, 222, after April's draft and gave him a $15,000 signing bonus, the highest this season. He first gained the attention of clubs by going through drills at the University of Florida's pro day after the Gators players first showed off for scouts.

He has sustained the Cowboys' attention through the offseason and now at camp.

"The bigger thing with Andy is where he came from," Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said. "It's not too big for him. ...He's one of those that you look at in a uniform and go, 'Wow.' That's pretty good. And then he goes and plays and it's still really good. He's certainly making a big effort here, and I think he has a real chance to compete for a spot on this team.

"That's a talented receiver corps out there too, from top to bottom...a very competitive group out there."

Jones didn't have to think long about his first take on his first NFL scrimmage: "fast," he said. "Got to get the play in, got to know what you're doing because everybody is kind of on the same page. I really enjoyed it."

Jones, who is also eager to show he can be a special teams contributor, said the biggest key for him in camp is finding consistency. He said he's getting advice from the veteran receivers such as Dez Bryant.

"How to bounce back from maybe like a dropped pass," Jones said, "something that just didn't go right that I didn't plan. Just them keeping me level-headed, trying to keep me at the same mindset.

"It's a big jump, but I'm handling it well, taking every day as it comes. Just trying to stay consistent, trust in what I know and my skill."

Reaction score
All depends how many receivers we keep. Dez, Beasley, are locks. Williams and Lucky are basically locks. We don't like to give up on draft picks and Dooley loves Street, so he's likely staying. Can we keep 6?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Street is gone for sure unless he has an unbelievable camp (and he's hurt again). Even before he got hurt he was already getting lapped by UDFA Jones. and was behind Beasley and Butler too.

They were saying yesterday Whitehead is not a 100% lock.

Reaction score
The thing that Whitehead brings is speed and shiftiness. Even if he doesn't get the ball when he goes in motion, it's the same as play action and Whitehead tends to be dangerous from the end around. Alfred Morris said he's the fastest player on the team.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The thing that Whitehead brings is speed and shiftiness. Even if he doesn't get the ball when he goes in motion, it's the same as play action and Whitehead tends to be dangerous from the end around. Alfred Morris said he's the fastest player on the team.

If he keeps returning punts like he did yesterday he will definitely make it.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Apparently Andy Jones is gaining a lot of trust from Romo already. So that in itself gives him a leg up on Streets.

Top Bottom