NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
This of course is based on your extensive knowledge of him. Oh that's right, you have none.

It's: Big arm, highly intelligent, driven and mature. Cool under pressure and doesn't panic. Has all the tools.

Does that mean he can step right in and be a superstar? Of course not. It COULD be but, neither could Romo his first few years either.

Neither Wright, Hutchinson or Stoerner have the pedigree Vaughan has. Or even the pedigree Romo had.

What are the odds Dallas hits twice, on undrafted Div 2 quarterbacks? Pretty slim I'd guess. But if you're going to try one, Vaughan is the best one to be trying.

Pedigree.

LOL

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Anyway, I'd much rather see our picks spent on D and a vet brought in but if the right guy fell and the value was there I wouldn't mind them bringing in another project.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Anyway, I'd much rather see our picks spent on D and a vet brought in but if the right guy fell and the value was there I wouldn't mind them bringing in another project.
If either Gurley or Gordon are there at #27, do you pull the trigger on either?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Gurley.. Yes. Gordon.. No. A good one should fall to us in the second or even possibly the third.
I'm having a hard time understanding what's wrong with Gordon. Protects the ball, not a injury problem, can take it to the house at any given time, what's the knock?

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time understanding what's wrong with Gordon. Protects the ball, not a injury problem, can take it to the house at any given time, what's the knock?

IMO the only way I use a first round pick on a RB is if he is a 3 down back. Gurley is. Gordon isn't.

Gordon relied heavily on his speed and ran a somewhat disappointing 4.52 at the combine. I only say disappointing because people were comparing him to Jammal Charles who ran a 4.38. He doesn't like running between the tackles, isn't good in pass protection, and isnt a natural pass catcher. Also, he fumbled 6 times in his last 5 games. Not to mention, watch some of his runs. He's literally running thru wide open holes untouched created by that great oline of Wisconsin.

Much rather wait til our second to grab either Coleman or Duke Johnson than draft Gordon in the first.

Reaction score
Do you give the Vikings the 27th pick if that's what it takes to obtain AP in a trade?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Depends on who the CB is.

AP was a special player but with his age and salary factored in, I don't know that he is much more than 1 or 2yr answer here. He's 30 now and there's no way he is worth 12 mils or so per year.

Quality RB's can be had later and we do need DB help. If they draft the right CB he'd be a 4-5 yr contributor (minimum) and be helping the team long after AP were gone.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
IMO the only way I use a first round pick on a RB is if he is a 3 down back. Gurley is. Gordon isn't.

Gordon relied heavily on his speed and ran a somewhat disappointing 4.52 at the combine. I only say disappointing because people were comparing him to Jammal Charles who ran a 4.38. He doesn't like running between the tackles, isn't good in pass protection, and isnt a natural pass catcher. Also, he fumbled 6 times in his last 5 games. Not to mention, watch some of his runs. He's literally running thru wide open holes untouched created by that great oline of Wisconsin.

Much rather wait til our second to grab either Coleman or Duke Johnson than draft Gordon in the first.
But with Gurley you get one with the ACL thing, and who because of the scheme Georgia runs, never had to do much pass blocking.

Gordon has been playing the zone scheme for years, knows all the plays. And I read somewhere Dallas' line is pretty good too - in fact it has a teammate of Gordon's on it if I'm not too much mistaken.

Doesn't pretty much every back out of college have a lot to learn to be effective in NFL protection schemes? I'm a bit leery of Gurley's injury history and he's a turnover machine by the way - much worse than Gordon.

If he is there at #27 you skip him?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Gurley is a do it all guy Dooms. Not sure where you get the idea Gurley never had to pass block, and he's definitely a far more advanced back in terms of receiving than Gordon is. Doesn't mean Gordon wont be a decent receiver, but he wasn't thrown to much at all there.

His "injury history" is a torn ACL, and ACL's are pretty common and almost always recovered from at 100%. He did tweak an ankle the yr before, but he still had a huge yr and scored 16 tds, including 6 receiving.

Gurley is not a "turnover machine" either. Where did you get that from? I think he fumbled two or three times in 3 yrs. On the other hand, you keep citing Gordon's ability to avoid fumbles but one of the draft guides I have (Athlons) says he LOST 6 fumbles in 2014 alone.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
But with Gurley you get one with the ACL thing, and who because of the scheme Georgia runs, never had to do much pass blocking.

Gordon has been playing the zone scheme for years, knows all the plays. And I read somewhere Dallas' line is pretty good too - in fact it has a teammate of Gordon's on it if I'm not too much mistaken.

Doesn't pretty much every back out of college have a lot to learn to be effective in NFL protection schemes? I'm a bit leery of Gurley's injury history and he's a turnover machine by the way - much worse than Gordon.

If he is there at #27 you skip him?

Gurley had 3 fumbles in 510 carries.

His only major knock and the only reason we may have a shot at him is because of the ACL injury and his time table to return. Other than that he's by and far the most complete back in this draft.

If he's there I really hope we take him.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Do you give the Vikings the 27th pick if that's what it takes to obtain AP in a trade?

Na, I'd consider a third and a conditional pick next year.

I just don't know if we can fit him under the cap. But adding AP easily makes us legit contenders in the NFC, if not the favorites.

Reaction score
If we were guaranteed to win a Super Bowl next season, I'd trade a first for AP and restructure Romo. Can you swing that ZC?

Top Bottom