Reaction score
The Zeke effect: How Ezekiel Elliott's physicality, energy & trash-talking amp up his teammates
By Kristi Scales

Kristi Scales, the sideline reporter for the Dallas Cowboys radio network, answered questions about the team in a live chat recently. Here are some highlights:

The Zeke effect

Question: Does Tony Romo's injury put more pressure on Zeke to perform or the defense to help keep the Cowboys in games?

Scales: I think it's not just about Zeke performing or the defense keeping the score down, I think it's also about the Cowboys defense setting up the offense. Last year, the lack of takeaways was the Achilles heel for the entire team. The defense recorded only 11 takeaways which is tied for the lowest single-season amount in NFL history). The defense did not set up the offense in 2015 the same way they did in 2014 (20 fewer takeaways). The Cowboys had bad field position last year. If the defense can give Dak (and Zeke) shorter fields this year, that will help immensely.

Question: What impressed you most about Zeke Elliott's first taste of action?

Scales: Zeke impressed me with the way he didn't back down, particularly when the Seahawks veteran defenders were clearly testing him. He took on Kam Chancellor a couple of times, and won both those head-to-head meetings. And he responded when they challenged him with trash talk. Zeke's physical style also got the team fired-up. Not just the O-linemen, but the teammates on the sideline were responding to his tough runs, too.

Linebacker, QB breakdowns

Question: Who do you think would be better starting at MLB...Durant or Hitchens?

Scales: The way the Cowboys use Durant could be influenced by who is available on the defensive line. Kyle Wilber has been the starter at SAM (strong-side linebacker). But the past couple of weeks Wilber has been playing some DE because there aren't enough healthy d-linemen to get through a preseason game. Wilber has experience at defensive end, so it makes sense to have him continue to get some practice reps and possibly snaps in game at DE. That means they can plug in Durant at SAM and keep Hitchens at MIKE (Middle). The great thing about Durant and Hitchens is their versatility, so they can be plug-and-play.

Question: If he's cut would it be a good or bad idea to sign Mark Sanchez?

Scales: Sanchez couldn't beat out Trevor Siemian, in Denver. And he didn't exactly inspire confidence in Philly. Other guys around the league like Mettenberger are also on the chopping block. Sanchez is the better-known name, so that's why there is more speculation about him.

Reaction score
Why Cowboys don't need to tank to help Dak Prescott; on the worst day of NFL year, cut-day this Saturday
By Kristi Scales

Kristi Scales, the sideline reporter for the Dallas Cowboys radio network, answered questions about the team in a live chat recently. Here are some highlights:

How Dak's development goes with team's 2016 success:

Question: Which game do you think is going to be the toughest for Dak Prescott? I'm thinking Cincinnati, but that game is at home. Maybe his first road game in Washington?

Scales: Let's see how Dak Prescott gets through the regular season opener against the Giants before we start projected which defense will be the toughest. No more 'vanilla' or 'rocky road' for Prescott once we get to the regular season. Jason Garrett was asked about the challenge Dak faces in game 1, and Garrett noted that the Giants defense is "sophisticated from a front standpoint, a coverage standpoint, and with their pressure."

Question: Should Dallas be more concerned with not screwing up Dak's development or trying to win as many games as possible this season? I get going all out of the playoffs but I don't want Dak to suffer from it, you know?

Scales: The NFL is a win-now league, so it's all about going for the wins. This is a good coaching staff that will be able to develop him while also formulating plans that are best suited to him. I know that everyone is saying the Cowboys will now rely more on the running game because they have a rookie quarterback. Guess what? The plan all along was the run the ball, whether it was Romo or Prescott or Jerry Jones at quarterback. Look at 2014: Romo had a excellent season and DeMarco Murray set the team rushing record. Want to know a really important stat from that year: third down completion percentage. The Cowboys converted 47.3% of their third downs (they only completed 34.6% last year). That's because they got good yardage on first down runs, and second down, too. They didn't have as many third-and-long situations. That will be a key this season: don't put your rookie QB in a lot of 3rd and long situations where defenses can tee-off on him. An effective run game will help.

Question: Do you think the Cowboys can still make the playoffs this year?

Scales: Yes, just because the NFC East seems to be wide open. Interesting note: The division hasn't had back-to-back champs since the Eagles in '03 and '04. If Dak holds down the fort, there are still so many weapons on this Cowboys offense. I don't know where the Cowboys' pass rush will come from until DeMarcus Lawrence returns, but if they can create takeaways the way they did in 2014 then this team has a real chance

Final preseason notes to watch

Question: What are you looking forward to Thursday night when Cowboys, Texans meet?

Scales: There are still some decisions up in the air and solid performances on Thursday night could help make the decisions easier for the coaches. Will the Cowboys keep a fullback, and will it be Keith Smith or Rod Smith? Rod was practicing yesterday, so he may be back on the field after missing time with an infection. Can Austin Traylor convince the Cowboys to keep 4 tight ends (plus Hanna on the PUP)? Can Kavon Frazier beat out J.J. Wilcox? I think Deji Olatoye and Anthony Brown have already solidified their spots, but a strong game will help convince coaches. Can Chaz Green be the swing tackle (will he get reps at RT this week, or just left) or is the 2016 swing tackle about to be cut from another roster?

Question: Roster cuts coming ... As someone closer to the team than most, what can you tell us about this part of the process that we may not get to see?

Scales: For all those people who say that "preseason doesn't matter" or think the fourth preseason game is a waste of time, I just want to point out that even though the game doesn't count in the standings, it totally "matters" to those guys who are fighting for a roster spot. ... For all those talk show guys who dismiss the preseason finale, let's have some respect for these young players who are fighting for their livelihoods.

As for the process itself, I know that guys are just praying their phone doesn't ring and they're not asked to come back to The Star on Saturday to meet with the coach. Ask any coach out here and they will tell you that 'cut down day' is the worst day of their year, including those days following a loss in a game.

Question: Unfortunate about Shaneil Jenkins. Liked what he had shown in flashes. Do you think he ends up surfacing somewhere else?

Scales: Jenkins flashed more in his two preseason games than any other defensive lineman on the roster, so it's a shame that his injury cost him a chance to make this roster heading into the regular season. When and where he surfaces will be dictated by how quickly he rehabs. He's a great story... small-school kid from Shepherd University in West Virginia who was signed on the day of the Blue-White Scrimmage and a week later made a sack in a game against the Rams at the L.A. Coliseum. Plus a sack in the second preseason game. I hope he gets more chances, and he should because he showed production in his limited opportunity.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If you watch the guy run you see his adeptness at finding the hole and bursting through it quickly. Very instinctive and appears to have that extra gear. I would prefer he didnt look for contact though. I got a feeling he is going to bust some long runs this year. The exact type of player who would gash the Cowboy defense repeatedly as an opponent.

Top Bottom