Reaction score
Cowboys may hold Pro Bowl LT Tyron Smith out for remainder of preseason
By David Moore

Tyron Smith may not play this preseason.

The Pro Bowl left tackle hasn't played in the first two preseason games due to a stinger. Executive vice president Stephen Jones made it clear after the team's 41-14 victory over Miami that they will err on the side of caution when it comes to Smith in these final two preseason games.

"I think everybody understands he's going to be ready to go against the Giants,'' Jones said of the opener on Sept. 11. "If we feel like he's in the right spot to take a few series then we might look at it.

"But if we don't feel good about it we'll hold him out.''

Jones conceded the Cowboys talked long and hard about whether they wanted to play quarterback Tony Romo Friday night against the Dolphins since Smith wouldn't play. The determination was to play Romo and start Chaz Green at left tackle.

Green struggled in the preseason opener against the Los Angeles Rams but played better against the Dolphins.

"Tony was aware of the situation, and I thought Chaz did a nice job,'' Jones said. "At some point Chaz has to gain trust and there's no better way to do it than running with the first-team.

"I know it's a long year and it's rare that you play with the same five offensive linemen all year. We need to develop him and bring him along.''

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm okay with this. Let's us see exactly what we have in Chaz Green.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I sill worry a little about no live game reps before starting a season for T Smith, but he's as elite as it gets so making sure he's 100% is definitely necessary.

Green does need reps and getting to go against Seattle's front on the road is definitely a good gauge of what he may (or may not) be able to do. He showed quite a bit of improvement from game one to game two. If he shows that same kind of improvement to game three then I'd definitely feel better about him being the 3rd OT.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Now a DMN report that says Smith has fully participated in practice last two days and will play Thursday night. He says he has full range of motion.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
FRISCO -- Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl left tackle Tyron Smith has fully participated in practice the last two days with the intent of playing Thursday night at Seattle.

Smith didn't play in the Cowboys' first two preseason games after suffering a stinger in a training camp practice while in Oxnard, Calif.

Before Sunday, Smith had only been participating in individual drills. He rejoined team drills at the Cowboys' first practice Sunday at their new team headquarters at The Star and fully participated in Monday's practice as well.

Smith said he's dealt with stingers previously in his career, dating all the way back to his high school days. He said he's "good" and has full range of motion.

Smith has only missed one game in his five-year NFL career (back in 2012). Smith doesn't even want to miss a practice repetition.

"It's the most frustrating thing ever," Smith said. "I don't like sitting out. I like taking my reps. I don't like missing anything."

The Cowboys don't plan to play their starters in their final preseason game against Houston, so Seattle would be the last chance for Smith to get any game work in before the season opener against the Giants on Sept. 11.

Twitter: @DMN_George

Get the latest Cowboys news here | Follow dmn_cowboys on Twitter | Like our Cowboys Facebook page here

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'd almost rather they let him rest. Zack Martin had stinger last year in camp and it seemed to bother him most of the season.

Chaz has been playing better but does still need the snaps so just rest Tyron.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
When Martin's happened it was so bad they initially thought they may have lost him for the season though. They thought it was something much worse.

Top Bottom