Reaction score
Cowboys' 53-man roster projection: Who will survive the cuts?
By Jon Machota

FRISCO -- The Cowboys' current 90-man roster must be trimmed to 75 on Aug. 30. That group then must be reduced to 53 on Sept. 3.

But why wait almost another two weeks? Here's an educated guess at what the Cowboys' roster could look like when they open the season Sept. 11 against the New York Giants.

Quarterbacks: Heading into training camp, this seemed like a position locked in for three roster spots. But then Dak Prescott decided to own the first two weeks of the preseason.
1.) Tony Romo
2.) Dak Prescott

Running backs: If the Cowboys are only carrying two quarterbacks, why not keep Jason Garrett's streak alive of having a fullback on the roster. Darren McFadden (elbow) was not included because he is still on the team's non-football injury list.
3.) Ezekiel Elliott
4.) Alfred Morris
5.) Lance Dunbar
6.) Darius Jackson
7.) Keith Smith

Wide receivers: If the Cowboys stick with keeping five, this group seems like a pretty solid bet.
8.) Dez Bryant
9.) Terrance Williams
10.) Cole Beasley
11.) Brice Butler
12.) Lucky Whitehead

Tight ends: With James Hanna (knee) likely to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, a fourth tight end is probably needed. I'm going with Austin Traylor over Rico Gathers because Traylor is more prepared to contribute immediately. Traylor represents my final roster spot. If it doesn't go to him, perhaps the Cowboys keep Jameill Showers, another receiver (Andy Jones or Devin Street) or a sixth corner like Josh Thomas.
13.) Jason Witten
14.) Gavin Escobar
15.) Geoff Swaim
16.) Austin Traylor

Offensive line: The first eight spots seem locked in. But I don't think the Cowboys can go with only eight, so the ninth spot goes to either someone not currently on the roster or a tackle like Bryan Witzmann, who is second behind only Chaz Green in preseason snaps with 84.
17.) Tyron Smith
18.) Zack Martin
19.) Travis Frederick
20.) La'el Collins
21.) Doug Free
22.) Ron Leary
23.) Chaz Green
24.) Joe Looney
25.) Bryan Wizmann
Special teams: As you expected. No surprises here.
26.) Dan Bailey
27.) Chris Jones
28.) L.P. Ladouceur

Defensive line: If the Cowboys keep nine, there's a good chance this is the group. With DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory suspended to start the season, Ryan Russell makes the cut. The last end spot comes down to Russell, Shaneil Jenkins and Mike McAdoo.
29.) Tyrone Crawford
30.) Jack Crawford
31.) Benson Mayowa
32.) Terrell McClain
33.) Cedric Thornton
34.) David Irving
35.) Charles Tapper
36.) Maliek Collins
37.) Ryan Russell

Linebackers: Not a lot of surprises here. With Rolando McClain's NFL future in question and Jaylon Smith (knee) unlikely to play in 2016, these seven seem like a pretty solid bet.
38.) Sean Lee
39.) Anthony Hitchens
40.) Kyle Wilber
41.) Justin Durant
42.) Damien Wilson
43.) Mark Nzeocha
44.) Andrew Gachkar

Defensive backs: Every roster projection I've done has the Cowboys keeping five corners and four safeties, so I'll stick with that. The final spot comes down to sixth-round pick Kavon Frazier and 2013 third-round pick J.J. Wilcox.
45.) Brandon Carr
46.) Morris Claiborne
47.) Orlando Scandrick
48.) Deji Olatoye
49.) Anthony Brown
50.) Byron Jones
51.) Barry Church
52.) Jeff Heath
53.) Kavon Frazier

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm good with that

The best part is taking Frazier over Wilcox

Reaction score
Yup. I would be fine with that 53. But because I have gotten used to the Red Moron disappointing, I'm waiting to see Lucky and Jackson cut for Rod Smith and Richard Mullaney.

Top Bottom