JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
The acrimonious split between the Cowboys and Jay Ratliff is far from over.

Owner Jerry Jones said Monday that the club has filed a complaint against Ratliff. Jones declined to discuss specifics, but it’s clear the Cowboys hope to retrieve some money from their former Pro Bowl nose tackle.

While this action is directed strictly at Ratliff, the resolution of this dispute has broader implications and could establish some sort of precedent.

“This type of conduct, unable to play for us one day and a few days later working out for another club, is undermining and needs to be addressed,’’ Jones said.

The NFL management council and NFL Players Association are involved in this complaint. It’s tricky because the Collective Bargaining Agreement doesn’t appear to allow a grievance to be filed in this case since the Cowboys terminated Ratliff’s contract five months ago.

“There are other avenues,’’ Jones said. “We’re discussing those. And looking carefully in this case how it might fit in as a grievance.’’

Ratliff signed a five-year, $40 million contract with a guarantee of $18 million in 2011. He responded with his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl appearance.

Ratliff’s health, performance and relationship with the Cowboys front office went in decline from that point forward. He missed 10 games in 2012 and got into a heated exchange with Jones in the Cowboys lockerroom after one game.

Ratliff didn’t play for the Cowboys last season, rehabilitated on his own away from the facility and was placed on the physically unable to perform list. He was released on Oct. 16 and his representative, Mark Slough, held a conference call later in the day talking about the severity of the injury his client suffered a year earlier.

Seven days later, Ratliff was cleared medically to workout. He signed with Chicago on Nov. 2 and finished the season with the Bears. He signed a two-year contract with Chicago last month.

After Ratliff arrived in Chicago, in the interest of a fresh start, the player told reporters he now wanted to be known as Jeremiah.

It doesn’t matter if he goes by Jay or Jeremiah. Jones isn’t ready to say goodbye and wish him well.

“We’re assessing the form and how to address that,’’ Jones said of where the dispute currently stands. “We’re working on it with direction from the NFL management council.’’

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...far-from-over-as-cowboys-file-complaint.html/

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So Jerry's legal maneuver is "Help me, I'm inept." ?

Did the Cowboys medical staff sign off on Ratliff not being able to play the rest of the year? Because everything I read is the Cowboys (Jerry) took the word of Ratliff and his agent that he was done for the year. If so, that's dirty of Ratliff but Jones could have put him on the IR. He also could have had Ratliff's claim looked at by, I don't know, medical professionals.

Jerry hated the player, wanted to make a point. Ratliff hated him back and wanted to prove his point. Jerry blinked. Suck it up and move on.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is the 3rd player we've signed to a big contract who has either been hurt or claimed to be hurt and we've been totally unprepared.

Fucking clusterfuck

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He always has. His dipshit son draws up these outrageous contracts we end up having to eat.

Reaction score
Between the miles thing and this we have the silliest cap shit going on.

CMIIW but us being a clusterfuck draws eyeballs and raises revenue and thus raises the cap in the coming years and thus we probably are almost out of cap hell

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Siding with Ratliff, so edgy.

Sure I am. I just don't understand how a professional sports team releases a player who they claim can not play for them, that they invested millions of dollars in, without their medical staff vouching that the player is in fact, unable to play. Seems to me he could play.

Reaction score
Sure I am. I just don't understand how a professional sports team releases a player who they claim can not play for them, that they invested millions of dollars in, without their medical staff vouching that the player is in fact, unable to play. Seems to me he could play.

? You don't think he's been on the trainers table ?

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Every article I've read or heard stated Jerry claiming the agent and Ratliff said he couldn't play this year. Not one word about our medical staff.

..but let's say he was on our trainer's table...

Why did our staff say a player couldn't play when he was able to pass a physical 7 days later.

Now if Ratliff went through a physical, acted like a little girl, pretending he couldn't put any weight on his leg, etc. then that is definitely fraud and all on him. Shame on our doctors for being fooled but still, Ratliff acted criminally. Like I said, nothing I read said that our medical staff signed off on him not being able to play this year.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So Jerry's legal maneuver is "Help me, I'm inept." ?

Did the Cowboys medical staff sign off on Ratliff not being able to play the rest of the year? Because everything I read is the Cowboys (Jerry) took the word of Ratliff and his agent that he was done for the year. If so, that's dirty of Ratliff but Jones could have put him on the IR. He also could have had Ratliff's claim looked at by, I don't know, medical professionals.

Jerry hated the player, wanted to make a point. Ratliff hated him back and wanted to prove his point. Jerry blinked. Suck it up and move on.
Exactly. If our trainers thought he could play, and apparently they did, we never should have released him. By doing so we knew this exact thing could and probably would happen. It's almost like this is playing out exactly as Jerry hoped -- he signs with someone else so Jerry can hurt him later in court.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So if he could play and he refused to that's pretty shitty.

And I don't blame Jerry for wanting revenge. He got in his face in the lockerroom that one time. I hear he did it again a seperate time.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Cutting him when we did vs putting him on the IR(meaning he could not go play for another team on our upcoming schedule) and then releasing him this offseason, would have had the exact same cap affect for us.

Top Bottom