Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas – As he ran into the Cowboys’ locker room after a convincing 38-17 victory over the New Orleans Saints on Sunday night, wide receiver Dez Bryant yelled, “We Dat!”

It was the direct opposite of the chant by Saints fans: “Who Dat?!”

Bryant finished with three catches for 44 yards and an 18-yard touchdown, his only catch in the second half.

The Saints played an aggressive defense against him. During one play inside the 20, two defenders manned Bryant. On a key third-down play in the fourth quarter, a linebacker dropped back in coverage underneath Bryant.

When Bryant saw one-on-one coverage in the fourth quarter, quarterback Tony Romo found him for a back-shoulder fade for the final margin of victory.

“I wanted a piece of the cake,” Bryant said. “You got to stay in the game. I did get a little frustrated, a little bit, but I want to make plays. They were cheating the safety up a little bit, but when I got the opportunity to score I did.”

Bryant’s Sunday night was unlike the past season’s 49-17 loss to the Saints, in which he didn't get any passes directed to him in the first half and finished with just one catch for 44 yards.

Bryant said he moved on from that game and focused on what defensive coordinator Rob Ryan was trying to do against him Sunday.

“I don’t think it was anything personal,” he said. “I think the approach we took a long time ago during OTAs is, we know how good we can be and all we had to do was believe.”

Bryant's getting double coverage allowed second-year receiver Terrance Williams to make big plays. He had two touchdown receptions to go with his six catches for 77 yards. He was targeted seven times.

Romo completed passes to eight receivers. On the first scoring drive, which lasted 12 plays, five players caught a pass.

“I honestly feel, when you double me, you disrespect my wideouts,” Bryant said. “And [Williams] knew he was expecting the one-on-one coverage, and all week he knew he was going to get the one-on-one, and he had to take advantage of it, and that’s exactly what he did. He killed them.”

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's good to see that Dez is starting to understand that him being doubled all night long is as much doing his job as a 10-catch game.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I bet the Saints have already lost 10% of their "fans."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's good to see that Dez is starting to understand that him being doubled all night long is as much doing his job as a 10-catch game.

I think he'd love to be more involved, but he's smart enough (football wise) and matured enough to know that this is good for the team and will be good for him in some games at some point. Teams cant continue to play 2 or 3 guys on him every single play and not expect to see Murray run wild or guys like TW or JW run scott free through the secondary.

He was loving every big play for the other guys last night though. I think he's really all about winning and I love that about him.

Top Bottom