Reaction score
The Cowboys have finally all gotten on board with the switch in offensive play callers from head coach Jason Garrett to offensive coordinator Bill Callahan, which means it is time to shift the question from the name of the man making the calls to what the change means for the offense.

Wide receiver Dez Bryant reports that it doesn’t mean a whole heckuva lot. Bryant said that there haven’t been any substantive changes to the offense as a result in the shift to the responsibilities of the coaches, with the only noticeable difference coming in terms of the intensity level of practices.

“To be honest, it doesn’t feel any different,” Bryant said in an interview with TheLandryHat.com, via the Dallas Morning News. “It still feels like the same Coach Garrett’s system, and I think that’s really what it is because I’m running the same exact plays and everybody else is, too. I think the only thing that’s changed is the intensity level he’s been bringing every day in practice.”

There was never much doubt that the amount of time spent talking about who will be calling plays was going to be disproportionate to the amount it wound up transforming the offense. The Cowboys weren’t installing a new system and they didn’t bring in a slew of new players, so there’s little surprise that things are exactly the same for Bryant and his teammates.

As with almost every team in almost every season, the fate of the Cowboys will come down to the players’ ability to execute the plays that Callahan calls even though there’s been an outsize amount of attention paid to the calls themselves

Reaction score
Yeah, no one's going to notice a difference in practice. The difference, if any, will only be noticed during the games.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Yeah, no one's going to notice a difference in practice. The difference, if any, will only be noticed during the games.

I hope there is going to be a difference in the training camp practices. I'm a firm believer in "you practice how you want to play" model. So hopefully all of this nonsense over the play caller moves us towards better execution.

Maybe Callahan will get in the grills of every o-lineman to get them to perform better and more cohesively now that he is the play caller. His play calls will greatly depend on how his o-line unit performs.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Not really sure what anyone would expect.

I doubt Dez was running "different" routes during the 2nd half of games last year yet somehow the offense came alive as the team abandoned the game plan and simply went to the hurry up offense.

Of course it's going to be similar......it would be entirely stupid for it to change. The difference, hopefully, will be that the offense won't be waiting until the 3rd quarter to find something that works.

Reaction score
I hope there is going to be a difference in the training camp practices. I'm a firm believer in "you practice how you want to play" model. So hopefully all of this nonsense over the play caller moves us towards better execution.

Maybe Callahan will get in the grills of every o-lineman to get them to perform better and more cohesively now that he is the play caller. His play calls will greatly depend on how his o-line unit performs.
But the play caller himself isn't going to call plays in practice like he is in the games. The skill in play calling has to do with the feel of the situation in the game, what's been successful, how the defense has game-planned for you so far, etc.. You can't really replicate that in practice.

Now might Callahan feel like he has more authority and be more willing to get in someone's face? Maybe. But that may attributable to a number of things aside from being named the play caller.

Reaction score
I think the only thing that’s changed is the intensity level he’s been bringing every day in practice.”

This is the potentially interesting sentence.

I thought Garrett was all about intense practices. Callahan has either increased or decreased the intensity level, at least according to Dez.

What's up with that?

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I thought Garrett was all about intense practices. Callahan has either increased or decreased the intensity level, at least according to Dez.

What's up with that?

I don't understand it.

How can the second coming of Tom Landry run a less than intense practice?

Dez must not know what the hell he is talking about.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

What's up with that?

It's a process.

Top Bottom