yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good one. I think after this past draft... you're seeing Stephen take more of an active role, and blunting Jerry's potential damage.

slight improvement but yet again, they're getting worse as the season progresses, they don't appear to know how to build a roster that can peak at the end of the season and when it really matters. I had a little hope the younger players and Dline rotation might be poised to improve as the season progressed but they simply don't have enough talent on D and where we do have talent and have spent a chunk of the cap, offense, they looked like dog shit and imo have no excuse for only scoring 10 points

The rest of the league appears to have adapted to the offense and apparently they don't know how to adjust. I also think they're very limited with Romo because they can't risk him getting hurt if he resorts back to slinging the ball 30+ times, there's also zero worry for any defense that Romo can run for a few yards when needed.

December swoon is in full swing, 9-7 at best imo

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I love the thinking that Jerry is an absolute idiot who could never make a decent football decision... But the guy he plotted and schemed to hire for a decade is actually a good coach being held back by his boss.

Thats not my argument

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So you admit he's not good... But wouldn't even want to *try* anyone else? How does that make sense?

I don't know if he is good or not but I don't think he's horrible like some folks think, he has pros and cons, like any coach would. Philosophically, I think he's on the right track and it appears a lot of things have changed for the better since he's come on board but I have no way of knowing if that's him or someone else in the organization because jerri obfuscates everything to the point where its hard to know what the hell is going on over there.

What I don't believe is that jerri will hire anyone any better because of all the caveats that come with working for jerri, so my opinion is that continuity plus Garret is better than changing the entire coaching staff and all the upheaval that comes with it for what would be basically the same type of coach in terms of ability but starting at ground zero in terms of influencing jerri to make positive changes.

If in fact Garret is responsible for the changes I think are positive, then its my hope he can continually push that agenda going forward to the point where jerri slowly gets on board and it results in overall team & organizational improvement in how they do everything and will last because we're not doing the coaching shuffle every 3 years. Being a walk around coach is fine as long as he, they or whoever the hell is in charge hires good coordinators which it appears has happened. I haven't seen any evidence that the players are not listening to him, disrespect him or are in revolt (despite the fact I think he is boring as hell to listen to when he gives speeches to the team, when he gives speeches to the team, when he gives speeches to the team).

My position is an indictment of jerri not a proclamation that Garett is the greatest coach on the planet. I think Garett has pros and cons as a coach and might be better as a GM for Dallas (not the best GM available, just one that appears to have influence over jerri and seeks the advice of some great coaches). It feels like thats more of what he is here but again I'm guessing because we don't know the exact behind the scenes machinations.

Bottom line, as long as jerri is walking the earth, the likelihood is that the Cowboys won't be sniffing any more super bowls or many playoffs regardless of how many times they change coaches.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jerry has already tasted enough success to homer out over Garrett. He doesn't need much, as we all know, and it would take losing out to even make him consider firing Jason. Might as well hope we get lucky and win in spite of him, because he's not going anywhere. You can bank on that.

He wouldn't have to fire Garrett. Garrett's contract is up after this season; so just don't fucking extend him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
compelling
It was at the time, it cost us the game.

Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt, whose team won at home in overtime for the second time this season, said, "I was glad they iced their kicker so I didn't have to."

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
yawn, I don't disagree and I certainly hated this but thats near the bottom of this organizations problems

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
yawn, I don't disagree and I certainly hated this but thats near the bottom of this organizations problems
Well, you were saying you don't know if Garrett is good or not. I merely gave one of 100 examples making the case for, not.

I agree it's also not the biggest problem we have.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yep, said it before, but Jerry isn't the one causing horrible clock and timeout management or calling 55 passes vs 10 runs.

As much as Jerry is a problem, Garrett's terrible game management is 100% his own fault.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well, you were saying you don't know if Garrett is good or not. I merely gave one of 100 examples making the case for, not.

I agree it's also not the biggest problem we have.

You're not addressing the larger point, Garret is not the primary problem here imo (I'm not saying he doesn't have his own issues either).

jerri can hire a new stooge and it will simply be a matter of time before there will be another list of 100 issues the new coach has for being fired like the one before Garret and the one before that and the one before that and the one before that and the one before that and the one before that.

rinse and repeat

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You're not addressing the larger point, Garret is not the primary problem here imo (I'm not saying he doesn't have his own issues either).

jerri can hire a new stooge and it will simply be a matter of time before there will be another list of 100 issues the new coach has for being fired like the one before Garret and the one before that and the one before that and the one before that and the one before that and the one before that.

rinse and repeat
I don't disagree with you. However you said you didn't know if Garrett was any good or not. That's the only point I was addressing.

He's not. He is the only NFL coach ever, to ice his own kicker resulting in loss of the game. Or at all.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you. However you said you didn't know if Garrett was any good or not. That's the only point I was addressing.

He's not. He is the only NFL coach ever, to ice his own kicker resulting in loss of the game. Or at all.

ok, cool, gotcha

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
As far as all the head coaches Jerry has had and fired after Jimmy, what has any of them ever done, after Dallas? Were ANY of them any good?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Only Parcells imo but shitloads of people hate him too and he's the only reason the team has been remotely competitive since running Jimmy out of town

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's safe to say Parcells is a good coach. Although Jerruh said he "wasn't worth a shit."

KatzKorner

Spectator
Reaction score
Jerry has never been known for making good football decisions, esp when it came to coaches; he had a good one with Jimmy Johnson, who did great with the team; I never understood why JJ fired him!

Top Bottom