Reaction score
On Oklahoma coach Brent Venables:

He is the most intense coach I have ever played for. He’s a great guy, but on the field he is just an animal. He still thinks he can play. He gets taped up for Saturdays. He is a great coach. He showed so much enthusiasm. As a player, I saw him get so hyped and it rubbed off on me and I wanted to just go out there and play as hard as I could for that guy.

On what was going through his mind on draft day:

I had a feeling that [the Cowboys] were going to pick me. I felt that the team visit went real well. Just waiting for the draft day and getting that call was kind of nerve-wracking. Once I saw the 972 number, I was like who is this? Is this one of my friends? And then I picked up and it was Jerry Jones and I was so excited.

On whether he would be motivated that the Cowboys initially wanted to trade up for Mark Ingram:

I always have a chip on my shoulder regardless of the situation. I’m never satisfied with the way I play so I’m always trying to get better.

On who else he thought would draft him:

Definitely the New England Patriots , the [Denver] Broncos showed a lot of interest as well as the Eagles.

Was he staring at his cell phone when those teams were up in the draft?

My family was in the other room, I was by myself so I was kind of being a loner but at the same time it was just a nerve-wracking day. It was unbelievable, all those emotions going through your body and your mind while you don’t know where you’re going and when.

On what he is going to bring to the table for the Cowboys:

Just a change of pace. I’m a loose running back. I can run, catch and definitely block. I’m someone who doesn’t mind running in between the tackles and I have the speed to get outside around the corner so I’m going to bring some power, some speed and some toughness. I’m just going to learn from [Marion Barber, Felix Jones and Tashard Choice]. They are three great running backs and I can’t wait to meet and be around them.

On returning kicks for the Cowboys:

I love kick return. That is one of the most important aspects of special teams and the game. If you break a 30-40 yard kick return, that’s a lot of momentum for your offense and your fans and it gets you on the right side of the ball.

On whether he’ll have to get bigger physically to compete in the NFL:

Definitely, I’m trying to put on 5-8 more pounds to get into that 220 pound range. Early on in my career I did have two injuries, but at the same time I bounced back and it was my first injuries that occurred in my life. I have no problems with them, and I’m getting stronger than ever.

On choosing a college to attend:

I really didn’t pay too much attention to college football until my senior year and I knew I was going to have to make a choice. I knew USC was a great program and had won several championships and what not, but I felt that Oklahoma was the best opportunity for me. Adrian Peterson was there so I learned from one of the best running backs ever. Having a chance to go there and play behind him for a year was a great opportunity for me.

On what football means to Oklahoma:

Having a chance to learn from Adrian, his work ethic from practice to 7 on 7 skill workouts when there were no coaches there to summer workouts, every little thing, every detail, he went hard. He went 100 miles per hour because that is what he wanted to do on game days. He worked to the level that you were going to play on Saturdays. That’s what he always did. He prepared himself to the highest ability. Looking at him on Saturdays, he did everything hard, he did everything right. He really taught me a true work ethic.

On meeting the Cowboys for the first time:

I was just like, wow. These guys are they guys I’ve been watching on TV. Playing for Dallas is a crazy, humbling experience.

Reaction score
I'm curious to see what we do at kick returner. Don't want Dez or Felix back there, so I assume we will see the the McCan/AOA combo again.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'd put Dez back there again. It's part of his skill set. He's the best we have for the job. We also have very good depth at WR.

Felix is not my kick returner. He was good at it for a minute.

Reaction score
I'd put Dez back there again. It's part of his skill set. He's the best we have for the job. We also have very good depth at WR.

Felix is not my kick returner. He was good at it for a minute.

I like Dez as a punt returner, I just wouldn't want to risk the injury Dez would me more likely to incur on kick returns.

Reaction score
I want the ball in Dez's hands every possible chance.

Put that ****er in as a wild cat QB for all I care.

Reaction score
tashard_choice.jpg

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I would reserve Dez for "crucial" punt reurns and kick returns. Maybe mix him in every once in a while to keep him from getting rusty. The guy is so violent and he doesn't have an ounce of caution in him. I just can't risk him back there everytime.

sbk92

Reaction score
We've got 4 guys who I believe are dynamite impact returners. Felix, Dez, Newman and Murray.

I'd use them all. If we get injuries, that's the breaks. I don't want to leave any bullets in the chamber when trying to win a championship.

Top Bottom