Reaction score
SAN ANTONIO - There's been an outcry from fans for the Cowboys to sign a safety or two as soon as possible, but the team is taking a cautious approach to the position in free agency.

As of Sunday afternoon, talks with Cleveland's Abram Elam were slow, and no deal was imminent despite Ryan apparently placing a call on Saturday night to his starter with the Browns these last two years. The Cowboys reportedly expressed interest in Elam last week, but he appears to be holding out for a particular price.

While one of the biggest name among available safeties came off the market Sunday when Michael Huff chose to return to Oakland, Stephen Jones said the position is still a deep one in free agency. The Cowboys apparently had only minimal interest in bringing in Huff, an Irving, Texas native who played under Ryan with the Raiders.

Jones, who acknowledged safety was a free agency priority when camp opened, said he doesn't see the market for the position drying up any time soon, and didn't think an artificial deadline for signings was approaching on Aug. 4, the scheduled date for free agents to begin practicing with their new teams.

With a certain level of salary cap restriction, the Cowboys seem to be waiting for the asking price to come down with several guys who would be able to replace the current first-teamers, Barry Church and Akwasi Owusu-Ansah. Elam, the five-year veteran, would qualify for that group, but the Cowboys are somewhat leery of spending a bundle on safeties nearing their 30s.

Elam, who broke into the NFL with the Cowboys in 2006, is 29. He made two public overtures to the Cowboys on Sunday by responding to the comments of fans on Twitter. Told to pack his bags for Dallas because a signing with the Cowboys was inevitable, he tweeted "bags packed." Told how he could benefit from playing behind DeMarcus Ware, he replied "i like it."

Other players available currently include the Cowboys' own Gerald Sensabaugh, Dashon Goldson of San Francisco and Donte Whitner of the Bills.

BulldogJones

Spectator
Reaction score
I am a bit surprised that we didn't hit this category hard. I understand what unfolded when the siren sounded for the war to begin. Just puzzled knowing we cannot cover a slant pattern without stellar help at the safety position.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
They've had the same dumb-fuck, lazy, stroke faced, retarded ass attitude about the safety position for the last 5-8 years. And it fricken drives me crazy.

Keep up the great work, Jerry and Stephen.

~wipes cool-aid mustache on shirt sleeve~

Reaction score
They've had the same dumb-fuck, lazy, stroke faced, retarded ass attitude about the safety position for the last 5-8 years. And it fricken drives me crazy.

Keep up the great work, Jerry and Stephen.

~wipes cool-aid mustache on shirt sleeve~

All you had to say was Alan Ball.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
No offense intended to anyone who may be a dumb-fuck, or is lazy, or has a stroke face, or is retarded.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Elam is reportedly asking for 5 mils a yr. He isnt worth that. I think I read his agent is Drew Rosenhaus so stupid contract demands arnt a suprise.

There are still others available. Brodney Pool is still unsigned and the Jets just spent alot of money to keep Cromartie. Pool has plaed for both Ryan's. Donte Whitner is still available, Sensabagh is still available, Atari Bigby is a free agent apparently too. So is Darren Sharper and Roman Harper.

From this list, the Cowboys should be able to sign not one but 2 of these guys for 5-6mils a yr.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think he ends up here, I just think the team will put it out there this week (especially the in house writers) about how they wont pay that much and how there are all these other options.

Goodson is damn intriguing though!!

Bryan broaddus said yesterday that he believes that the team is going to play young talent and not chase older veterans like warren or waters. Not sure if he is relaying info or if it just his opinion.

I imagine elam and and I am starting to think sensebbaugh has no market and will end up here once we reach next weekend. Not sure how I feel about sensebaugh though. This is the second consecutive year he has stayed away from his teammates in the offseason, he doesnt seem to be all that tight with the guys as it is......

Reaction score
Sounds like they want each other and they are waiting for Elam to come down to earth.

Truthishly they are left w/ trash at the position so no need to jump on Elams wang.

This is what happens when you burn so many picks on RB, TE, and WR.

DB's suck and 2 young OL.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
No rush for the most glaring postion of need for your team.........ok?

Cheap and easy stop gap measures have worked wonders so far.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score

there is no rush because they cant see the field till thursday. If they dont have two safties signed by the weekend then there is something up..

Cythim

Reaction score
there is no rush because they cant see the field till thursday. If they dont have two safties signed by the weekend then there is something up..

When they see the field doesn't matter. The longer we wait the smaller the talent pool shrinks.

I hope all the Elam talk is a bluff to get some other safety to sign cheaper.

Mr.Po

Reaction score

We shall see.

My Trust Jerry Meter is at an all time low. Any lower and it stops registering. We'll see if the fish are still circling his bait by then.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Yeah, and overpaying for middle of the road guys doesnt work either...

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jerry has almost fully converted to Al Davis mode. He wants to be a maverick and do things his way. He just doesn't see the team the way the rest of the world sees it. Ignoring glaring weaknesses, bragging about players who a year later you throw under the bus. It can't eb everyone else's fault Jerry, it's your fault.

suck it dbair.

Top Bottom