dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Draft Focus: Ta'amu A NT Option On Day 2

Josh Ellis
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Ta'amu started 42 games in four seasons with the Huskies.

Name: Alameda Ta'amu
Position: Nose tackle
College: Washington
Height/Weight: 6-3/348

Strengths: Precisely. Ta'amu's most impressive feature is his power at the line. His wide frame allows him to occupy space in the middle of the defense, taking up double-teams and freeing up linebackers to run to the ball. When he is able to shed blockers and finds the ball himself, he is a smothering tackler. A team captain his senior year, he has displayed a total understanding of his role in a 3-4 defense and has a lot of experience at nose tackle. He's shown durability at one of the most physically demanding positions in the sport.

Weaknesses: At Washington, Ta'amu reportedly played at upwards of 390 pounds, which sapped his explosiveness and now raises concerns over his ability to control his weight as a professional. He offers no pass rush ability, will only be on the field in the base defense, and even at that tends to wear down as games progress.

Sound Bites: To Yahoo! Sports on his off-the-field attempts to gain quickness: "I've been working on those big bag drills ever since coach (Steve Sarkisian) came in here. It's important for the combine, just staying low and being violent with your hands."

Where He's Headed: Most projections have Ta'amu coming off the board in Round 2, but some draft analysts see him falling all the way to the fourth round. He is at a disadvantage because as a true nose tackle, he is really only of interest to teams who run a 3-4 defense.

How He Helps the Cowboys: The team continues to say Jay Ratliff will remain at nose tackle, but if the right player came along, the Cowboys would have to think long and hard about kicking him out to end on base downs. He brings something the club hasn't had since it first switched to the 3-4, a true space-eater who will always occupy a double-team but rarely budge, which makes things easier on the rest of the defense.

Reaction score
I think the fact you dont like Poe at all makes me believe he has all pro written all over him, for sure

That is very, very possible. I thought Cam Newton was going to be horrible. Same with Jason Pierre Paul.

:awkward

Reaction score
Weren't you anti-DeMarco Murray too?

I was.

Hated the pick more than the player. Wanted to draft a guard who's name escapes me. And yeah, I think he's injury prone. He missed 5 games last year, btw.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hated the pick more than the player. Wanted to draft a guard who's name escapes me. And yeah, I think he's injury prone. He missed 5 games last year, btw.

That kid from Lehigh, Rackley

kingdomcome1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If only Jerry and Co will finally pull the trigger and get a true NT.....I'm all in on this pick

Reaction score
If only Jerry and Co will finally pull the trigger and get a true NT.....I'm all in on this pick

I'd be killing two birds with one stone, really. Helping to get a true NT, while also improving DE by moving Ratliff out there.

And Ratliff can move back inside on obvious passing downs.

Top Bottom