dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Clearly it was a pleasant surprise for a change with our guys. The entire team pretty much played a complete 60 minutes, something we rarely see. Defense was pretty overwhelming against a quality opponent. Offense pretty much did what they wanted from the start till the end. Other than Harris botching a punt and a fumble by Murray that we recovered (appeared he might have never 100% had the ball) it was as good as we've seen in awhile I thought. Fisher said after the game he never saw this coming, and I couldn't agree more. I really believed we might lose yesterday.

1) Great effort by the defense. The entire unit pretty much dominated the game, but especially the front 7. We got constant pressure on a Rams team that hadn't yielded a single sack in 4 consecutive regular season games. Ware, Selvie and Hatcher consistently beat their guys. Nick Hayden continues to do a very solid job at his DT spot, and our backup DL's when in the game are not hurting us. Selvie and Hayden are young guys who are going to make it very difficult for the front office to ignore come the offseason. Hard to believe both were jobless when we got them. But all these guys are a testament to Kiffin/Marinelli. These two guys are flat out coaching these guys up at every level. If not for the accidental hands into the helmet penalty on Hatcher, these guys would have pitched a shutout.

2) The Wilcox/Church tandem at safety appeared to play very well. No blown coverages, and Wilcox had a nice pick/return that was unfortunately negated by Hatcher's penalty. Both guys tackled extremely well and Church had a couple of nice hits.

3) Other than the defense, the #1 eye opener for me was the OL as a whole. These guys played against a very talented Ram front 7 and absolutely owned them. Robert Quinn had 4 sacks and 2 or 3 forced fumbles the first two games, and other than one play vs the run and one decent rush, was absolutely invisible because of Tyron Smith. Chris Long is a good player, and he was invisible because of Doug Free. Pass protection was nearly flawless for all 5, and the run blocking was the best we have seen in awhile.

4) After (IMO) stinking last week, Romo played very well yesterday. Hit the open guys, threw the ball downfield a few times and didn't make any bad mistakes or audible into too many passes. Made a couple of throws that were really outstanding, including the TD's to Harris and Escobar. I liked some of the stuff they did with Escobar. He could end up being a good redzone option for us.

5) Stop the presses, Dan Bailey is human afterall. Although the ball may have been tipped by a Ram (he said so after the game, and you could see him motioning after the kick that he thought it was tipped). Boomed his kickoffs though.

6) Demarco Murray deserves props. Had a huge game obviously, but consistently ran through tackles to gain extra yards and made some nice cuts etc etc. I think he had over 200 yds of offense yesterday. If teams want to gang up on Dez/Witten in the passing game, Murray can definitely make them pay. Especially if the OL can continue to perform like yesterday.

7) I've mentioned it a few times already, but for guys who supposedly coach a "conservative" defensive scheme, they draw up blitzes that CONSISTENTLY get free rushers at the QB. This is by far the best blitzing we've seen in years IMO. Maybe since 2008 when Wade dumped that bumbling fool DC and started calling the D himself.

8) They are saying Miles Austin's hammy is minor, but behind the doors there I bet they are really concerned. For whatever reason, he just cant keep his hammy's healthy. I wonder if they would kick the tires on either of the Browns' WR's available (Gordon & Little)

9) With Selvie playing as well as he is, I wonder if putting Spencer on the market before the trade deadline would get any consideration. Might not get a lot for him, but even if they could manage a mid rd pick in return it'd be better than letting him walk for free after the season and waiting till 2015 for a potential comp pick in return.

Not going to go overboard about the way we won. Like many, I think they need to put a lot of good games together before I start really believing in them again. Losing this week at San Diego would be pretty typical of the Cowboys from the past 4-5 years so doing something different and going there, taking care of business would be a step in the right direction. In spite of their record, Phillip Rivers is playing very well and should be another good test for the D. I think how we play next Sunday could be pretty telling for 2013 in general. Denver (even w/o Clady and Miller) will still be a very tough test in two weeks, they really need game vs SD.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Kinda want one of those Browns WRs.

Gordon please.

Also, I still would like to see a killer instinct from this team. Instead of going into cruise control, continue to pressure on defense until the last seconds tick down. On offense, keep scoring.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Gordon please.

I don't think we are interested any longer. We got Williams, who I guess they feel is as good. Don't see it, but I bet that is how they feel.

Also, I still would like to see a killer instinct from this team. Instead of going into cruise control, continue to pressure on defense until the last seconds tick down. On offense, keep scoring.

They sort of did that last week until they put all the schlubs in there. But they were still aggressive.

What I would like is more aggression on offense and run the effing score up on someone. That is how you teach the opposition not to fuck with you. We have never done that. Most of our blowout wins, the handful there are, since Johnson left were far from complete ass whippings where someone goes whoa...ain't messing with that.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
2) The Wilcox/Church tandem at safety appeared to play very well. No blown coverages, and Wilcox had a nice pick/return that was unfortunately negated by Hatcher's penalty. Both guys tackled extremely well and Church had a couple of nice hits.

I also don't think the short week gave the Rams time to gameplan to take shots at Wilcox. They looked to be working the weakside of the field more and Church and even Claiborne responded with some hitting. It is way too early to anoint Wilcox as a solution. I did like his pick, even though it was negated, of course.

Reaction score

Gordon please.

You realize it would take a 2nd or third round pick to get one, right?

Think how pissed off you'd be, with all our holes, if we took a WR in either the 2nd or third round next year.

I have no interest in those Browns receivers.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
My only bitch is we can do better in the redzone. We need to improve there. Our success this week hopefully isn't just because we played the Rams. Let's hope it continues.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You realize it would take a 2nd or third round pick to get one, right?

Think how pissed off you'd be, with all our holes, if we took a WR in either the 2nd or third round next year.

I have no interest in those Browns receivers.

We need those for tight ends.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
They sort of did that last week until they put all the schlubs in there. But they were still aggressive.

What I would like is more aggression on offense and run the effing score up on someone. That is how you teach the opposition not to fuck with you. We have never done that. Most of our blowout wins, the handful there are, since Johnson left were far from complete ass whippings where someone goes whoa...ain't messing with that.
I agree that we need more complete dominating games, but I disagree with your reasonings. They are playing profesionals, teams don't play scared against a dominate offensive rather they pysch themselves up to try and take a shot (and sometimes they deflate when it starts going bad).

I think they need to be completely dominate for entire games so our team thinks that we can do it whenever we want. A d that knows it is good enough to keep teams out of the endzone for entire games is able to step up and get a stop when they want/need one, no matter what the last 45 minutes of the game have shown.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I also don't think the short week gave the Rams time to gameplan to take shots at Wilcox. They looked to be working the weakside of the field more and Church and even Claiborne responded with some hitting. It is way too early to anoint Wilcox as a solution. I did like his pick, even though it was negated, of course.
I think it is safe to say Wilcox is more of a solution than Jerry's original plan of Allen who is the jag of all jags. Allen is not the answer, surprise. I think the next two weeks of facing much better offensive teams will tell the whole story. I still remember Eli and the slant patterns that he completed at will.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting factoids:

SandoESPN Mike Sando, ESPN.com
Most offensive plays while leading this season: KC 148, NE 142, DAL 138, DEN 137, SEA 120, NO 116, ATL 100
about 10 hours ago

SandoESPN Mike Sando, ESPN.com
Fewest offensive plays while leading this season: Redskins 1, Rams 2, Jaguars 3, Giants 6, 49ers 25.

Top Bottom