dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Some good things. Some not so good things. They have more work to do and need to clear up some of the special teams inconsistencies, although I suspect some of that is because so many different guys are playing different roles.

1) I was looking through the game thread at some of the whining and bitching, and hardly anyone acknowledges what should be the most obvious positive after two preseason games. The OL is better. It doesn't look "a little better", its looks pretty good. The pass protection for Romo and Orton (over both his games) has been nearly flawless. The run blocking is eons better than anything we saw the past few seasons. Yes its preseason. But we played over 7 quarters of preseason before a single running play was stopped for a loss. Romo must have had 10 seconds or so to throw on the one play where he took the sack instead of throwing to a wide open Miles Austin for easy TD. Comments on the individual OL follow:

2) Tyron Smith has looked great. Travis Frederick is the real deal at C, although I think its time they give up the reps at RG with him. Its not that I think he'd stink there, its just that he is so much better at C. Leary looked really solid again last night and appears to be a significant upgrade over Nate Livings. Doug Free looks nothing like the guy we saw most of the last two seasons and more like the guy we saw in 2009/2010. Even Bernadeau looked adequate last night. I think Costa is a decent backup guy. I read this morning where the team is still wanting to sign Brian Waters though, meaning Bernadeau might be relegated to backup duties sooner rather than later. We need Parnell healthy though. Still not impressed with any of the backup OT's. If they signed Waters and he were in good shape and an upgrade over Bernadeau, we could be in really great shape up front.

3) The backups on defense struggled some at times last night, but when the starters (or most of them) were in there its obvious this scheme will work and IMO, be a massive improvement over the past two seasons. These guys get upfield quick. They run to the ball better than anytime in recent memory. Ware and Hatcher played one series and I don't think either was blocked at all. That Sean Lee guy is really good. Nick Hayden looks like a decent backup DT. Kyle Wilbur may end up being fairly one dimensional, but he has explosiveness off the ball and can turn the corner. If that's all he can ever do and is a career #3 DE, that wont be too bad. I'm still amazed at the recover of Barry Church, who I firmly expected to be a liability out there because I didn't see any possible way he could be quick enough, yet there he was blowing up a couple different guys and closing fast on plays in front of him. Didn't notice Will Allen, which is a good thing compared to safety play from last few seasons.

4) JJ Wilcox led the team in tackles and had a really nice endzone interception. But he also took one really bad angle on a play that ended up being a 40 yd gain for the Raiders. But I think the physical talent is there and by all accounts, he works very hard. There's a lot of upside for Jerome Henderson to do something with there. I don't think he starts early in the season, but I could see him starting later in the season if he cleans up a few things. Already mentioned Frederick, he looks like a really good player and will be a mammoth upgrade for us at C. Escobar cant block, period. He needs a year in the weightroom bad. He still could have some impact as a receiver, but his blocking has gotta improve. BW Webb isn't going to play much this year until he shows he can tackle better. He did have a few nice tackles (he was credited with 4 last night and 3 last week) but he misses far too many tackles. Fortunately Scandrick has looked solid and assuming he is healthy, we're in good shape at the #3 CB this year. Joseph Randle played well again last night but had a couple plays in the 4th where the OL (one was Escobar) failed and he got blown up for a loss. Also showed good hands on a nice catch and run. Really like D Holloman. Will be very interested to see T Williams next week and the rest of preseason.

5) Thought Cole Beasley had a really good game, but then got hurt and needed x-rays. Kyle Orton continued to show why signing him was a really good move. After all the negative reports on him in camp (just like last yr) when he plays in the games, he looks solid.

The not so good or bad:

1) Special teams were bad. One FG was blocked and Bailey's first one was also nearly blocked. Kick return coverage was poor. Stupid penalty on Frampton on one punt return. BW Webb failed miserably trying to catch one punt, resulting in a turnover. Fortunately we have Dwayne Harris as our #1 guy there, and he is really good at punt returns.

2) Backup defense struggled and allowed too many 3rd down conversions. After becoming the latest in the annual preseason Cowboy HOF run, George Selvie was steamrolled last night. Despite playing what appeared to be extensively, he had only 2 tackles never came close to the QB from what I saw. Don't see how Caleb McSurdy has a chance here. Good tackler, but is just too slow. Perhaps he ends up with fat Rob in New Orleans.

3) Gavin Escobar (as noted above, and by many others) is just not a good blocker at all right now. Maybe he will be adequate eventually, but today he is a liability. James Hanna didn't appear to be much better either.

4) Still am not seeing any reason why either of these young backup QB's should get a spot on the 53 this yr. I'd think one will get a PS position and if I had to guess now I'd say it would be Nick Stephens. He through a really awful pick on his first throw of 2nd half, but did have a couple of NFL caliber throws afterward and showed some decent escapability. Appears to have a much stronger arm than Tanney does.

Couple other observations:

1) After last week throwing quite a few passes to the TE's and running a ton of plays from base 2TE (or even 3TE) sets, last night they hardly used them. Maybe it was by design, but on Romo's two series they were with 3 WR's and 1 TE on almost every play I think. I think for the entire game the TE's were only targeted on two passes, and none caught a pass.

2) While the overall numbers weren't as good as last week rushing the ball, other than two plays the run game was pretty effective again. Murray looked really good in his limited time. Lance Dunbar is a really pleasant surprise. He got all the 2nd team RB reps and ran/caught the ball exceptionally well. 3 runs and 3 receptions for overall good yardage. He could end up being a real sleeper weapon on 3rd down this year. Phillip Tanner and Randle both looked good again, and Randle showed he might be a quality KR guy. He had two returns for 50 yds, gaining 25 both times. We are really in good shape at the RB position.

3) Dez looks uncoverable out there. Miles Austin looks healthy. If T Williams is as good as advertised, we could really present a nightmare for opposing secondaries, especially if the OL continues to play well. Romo could be in for a monster season.

4) Tyrone Crawford goes on record as having fastest recovery from Achilles rupture in history of man. Perusing the boxscore, Crawford was credited with two tackles last night. (it was actually Selvie, both have the same uni nmbr)

5) Fat Rob defense first series last night. Chiefs go 15 plays, 80 yds and score a TD against the Aints first team defense.

6) The one complaint I had with Garrett last night (as opposed to a couple others, who cried about him appearing to have a good time) was the challenge on the GL play after the catch by Amos. Yeah he was probably right, it should have been a TD and in a game that matters its worth the challenge because you never know what can happen afterward. But in a meaningless preseason game I'd think having a chance to work on a real GL drill on 1st and goal from the 1 would be more of a priority. I have no issue with him smiling, high fiving guys, encouraging guys etc etc. I think he looks at ease right now and in part, I think its because the team looks better in several areas where we all had major concerns. (OL, new scheme defensively).

There's still some things they need to clean up, but I am encouraged and think things we needed to show improvement at are going in the right direction.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Like I mentioned, I know it's preseason, and no sense in getting Romo hurt, but I am hopeful that if Romo ever have as much time like he did and no one is open, that he will simply take off and go for the yards, rather than throw the ball away and definitely taking the sack. Just run to the sidelines. Wade Wilson needs to recognize this and just tell Romo to take off. I believe it can make the difference between losing and winning.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to see Romo do that as well. One thing, and I'm the last thing from a Romo hater because we're very lucky to have him, but it looks to me like the longer his career goes on, he more he dislikes contact. The one real criticism I have of him is that he starts to get skittish in the pocket when he gets a couple hits. So he may not want to run.

Also forgot to mention last night: Still don't get the Dunbar love. He had a couple nice runs to the sideline where he got some yards, but he also had one on a sweep right where he ran into a defender's chest and fell straight on his back. He's very un-physical. Some little guys have big strong lower bodies but that's not him. I am impressed with Tanner. He runs super hard and he can help on special teams.

Speaking of the run, we're definitely more of a zone blocking team this year. Love that stretch play. Almost looks like Houston or the Skins. And it's great to play action off of, too.

Why do we have that old #3 QB? I know it doesn't matter a lot but I'd rather have some younger guy. This guy looks pretty terrible. The trick shot guy at least showed a nice arm on the last throw that Darrell Green's kid dropped.

Looked on first glance like Lissemore played more than most of the guys of his "rank" and didn't do that well. The Raiders ran on us some, which isn't usually a concern in today's passing league, but it might be a problem after all.

The Raiders are really awful. I didn't even realize they were starting Matt Flynn, plus guys like Gurode on the O-line. Now there's a team who can complain about lack of talent.

Randle doesn't show a lot physically, but we knew that. I like how feisty he is, though. Still think he's the opposite of Dunbar, better in real games with hitting and ugly weather.

Dez is going to be so good. Hope we make an effort to get him the ball early and get him going. I do think that little slant where the corner jumped it and Romo threw him the ball behind it is the kind of improv that can get us into trouble. But he'll still do a lot more good than bad.

Reaction score
I think you are correct about the OL, dbair. They should be significantly better this year.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I missed the game. How did our starters on defense look?

Looks like the backups struggled immensely...but I don't know much about how the starters fared.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like the backups struggled immensely...but I don't know much about how the starters fared.

Three starters didn't play (Spencer, Ratliff, Claiborne) and they took Ware and Hatcher out after one series. The way they got off the ball was pretty impressive. Ware blew up a run play on first down the first series. The Raiders did manage one first down (barely) but the blitz they ran on the next play was perfect, and Lee blew up the QB forcing a fumble we recovered. The second series the raiders moved the ball a bit, but several other backups entered (Ware and Hatcher left) and Lee ended that drive too with a great coverage hit forcing an incompletion. Church looked pretty good out there too.

If we keep these guys healthy, it looks like the defense is going to be a lot better to me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Also forgot to mention last night: Still don't get the Dunbar love. He had a couple nice runs to the sideline where he got some yards, but he also had one on a sweep right where he ran into a defender's chest and fell straight on his back. He's very un-physical. Some little guys have big strong lower bodies but that's not him. I am impressed with Tanner. He runs super hard and he can help on special teams.

Dunbar isn't a carry the load guy that's for sure, but in the role that it appears they are designing for him, he could be a pretty good weapon. He definitely has speed and quickness, and he catches the ball well.

Reaction score
Dunbar is playing quicker now. He doesn't run with much power, that's true, but the thing that is impressive is that he can absorb tackles from the big guys. That is, he doesn't seem to be as breakable as one would expect of a small guy. I wasn't impressed with him before, but last night I started to see some of the possibilities.

IMO Randle did not have much of a chance last night running behind the makeshift OL. He looked o.k. running back kicks, I thought. And he had some decent plays. On other plays he was little more than a target for tackling drills (because he got no help from his OL).

The WR fight for roster spots is interesting. Coale is in serious jeopardy. Beasley and Armstrong? They both look good, but in different ways.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Coale is in serious jeopardy. Beasley and Armstrong? They both look good, but in different ways.

I agree. Coale probably doesn't have much of a chance. If a decision comes down to Beasley or Armstrong, it will be an interesting decision.

Also, did anyone notice Dwayne Harris on offense? The boxscore has him for one KO return, but I don't recall seeing him play at all.

Reaction score
I didn't notice Harris either.

Right now I have it -

1. Dez
2. Austin
3. Williams
4. Harris
5. Beasley
6. Armstrong

Am I missing anyone in that top 6?

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Nice write up. I thought our OL looked really good and gave plenty of time on passing plays. The true test for them will be the Bengals in preseason week 3. The starters on D look good, they don't have to be great as long as they force turnovers. I can't wait till the actual season.

Reaction score
Liked what I saw from...

--- Pendleton: had hands up at the line trying to knock passes away. Disruptive. And when the Raider jumped offsides in front of him, Pendleton pushed him down anyway.:towel
---Jared Green: dropped an easy one but gets open and knows how to stretch for the first down.
---Wilcox: he looks more excited about being in the play than actually stopping the play. Still, wraps up well in tackles.
---Dunbar: great in space, outside, and safety valve screens. From the people that brought you the blockbuster play of giving Martellus Bennett a 4 yard screen pass, comes the sequel of trying to give Dunbar a Christian Okoye role between the tackles. Unexpected? Yes. Stupid? Yes.
---Tanner. Playing with quick and powerful movement.
---Armstrong. Need to keep this player. Dallas is relatively yet remarkably slow in its skill positions and this guy can play KR, PR, vertical game and possession. Need. Need. Need.
---Hamilton. Not a lot of plays but if you noticed, keeps plays in front of him and stays square to LOS.
---Callahan. Called smart running plays and quick passes. It makes the O-line look more impressive when there is less need to block for 10 seconds or when the receiving plays are so predictable that the OLBs can overload the O-line and run straight to the seventh step drop of the QB. Happened almost every time Dallas did not use runs or short passes. Red zone was a little Garrett-esque though. 2nd down and 7 from the 18 and threw to the endzone twice. Must have been a Garrett over-rule.
---Lee. Lee will singlehandedly carry all players not named Ware, Carter, Carr, and Hatcher.
...Tanney. He does put the ball in lanes and coverage areas that show his accuracy. The WRs still have to catch the ball though.

Alarmed by...

...Randle. Slow. Labors each step like he has polio in one leg and Matt Johnson's hamstring in the other. He is an oddity. A non-running back.
...Webb. I had high hopes and bought the cat. But he can't tackle, reacts too late and his punt fumble on a fair catch just made me put the cat to sleep. Looking for a new cat. Named Hamiton.
...Kiffin's defense against delays, draws, screens and any QB running. Achilles heel of the Tampa 2?
...CBs are not physical players. Tackling is weak and clingy. No power to hitting. No punishment.
...Offense still has no misdirection. Sparano and Greg Olson (both with tremendous knowledge of the Dallas offense and defense) fooled the Dallas defense left and right. Oakland could have score 2 more TDs but the QB made bad decisions. Garrett's system lacks imagination and especially invention.
...Anthony Amos. Goodbye.

Reaction score
Michael Irvin had the best statement about Mike Jenkins. Can't remember it word for word. Anybody have the clip?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Best: Sean Lee.

Worst: 3-way tie between the announcers, stupid penalties, and shitty special teams.

Top Bottom