dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I honestly thought about posting this with only "......................................."

I mean, what is there to really say? Most of us (including me) would have not been all that surprised if we lost. In fact I kind of expected it, I'd been saying for basically two weeks I thought this was probably a bad match up for us (Rams too), but I doubt anyone could have seen us doing THIS. It was so bad, that my wife actually had no idea I was upstairs WATCHING it. I literally didn't say a word the entire game. Never happened since the day I started watching football in 1975.

1) It's probably the single worst postseason performance in franchise history, certainly is in my lifetime. It far surpasses the shutout loss to the 85 Rams. (Dickerson ran for 248 that day). Since the last Super Bowl win we've had a number of ugly losses (the Vikings in 2009 comes to mind) but nothing like this. To make matters worse, it was at home, to a 9-8 football team that in the last month got beat bad by Tampa Bay, lost to the NYG and Tommy Devito and then nearly lost to the 2 win Carolina Panthers (and gave up 30 pts!). It's inexplicable and after 3 straight years of postseason failure, should be the nail in the coffin for McCarthy and this coaching staff.

2) Should be the end of the Mike McCarthy era. Seems like a nice guy, and he's been better than probably all of the coaches since Jimmy. But he can't win in the postseason. Team was completely unprepared, uninspired and had no confidence whatsoever after the game kicked off. He had a look of failure in eyes on the sideline before Prescott ever threw that first pick. He was already in panic mode and so was the team. The only good postseason game he's had was against a team with a losing record that didnt care to play. They've now lost twice on their homefield in games they were favored in. Time to move on.

3) There really doesn't need to be anymore media lovefest with Dan Quinn as an elite defensive coach, he is clearly not. Yesterday was just a dump truck full of cowshit from him. There's just been too many of these kinds of games, where the defense can't even force punts nor stop the other team from scoring. We gave up more points and tds to Green Bay than the Giants, Tampa or Carolina did in recent games. At one point it was 6 TDs in first 7 drives. He's a fucking loser and I will laugh my ass off if any team REALLY hires him as a HC. Would be doing us a huge favor if they did. Whether he leaves on his own or not, has to be the last game he coaches here.

4) Prescott pissed the bed in a big game, again. He was dreadful for most of the game, but especially when it was still a "game". He threw two awful picks including a dagger Pick 6, and should have easily had two or three others picked off. He is not a winner and never will be because he cannot handle the pressure of "big games". He had the deer in the headlights look from the first snap of the game and threw the ball the worst he has all year. This against the ONLY defense that made Bryce Young look good this year. They obviously have a major conundrum with his contract situation, but they cannot give him a mega contract extension at this point. Maybe they just have to bite the big one, move on and take the "cap medicine" for 1 or 2 seasons. Yes, that maybe means a rebuild. But let's be honest, who wouldn't trade our situation for Houston's right now? The worst part for Prescott is the game was at home, in perfect conditions and the OL for the most part gave him GREAT pass protection. The verdict is 100% in on him now.

5) For our offense, it kind of seemed like we watched Green Bay duplicate almost verbatim what Buffalo defense did a few weeks ago, only this time there was no rain or wind and our team apparently learned nothing from that. They literally ran most of the exact same coverages and the few times they blitzed, it looked like carbon copies of the Bills. This from a GB defensive staff that had been awful almost all year and at some points was so bad that many wondered if Lafleur would make a coaching change in-season.

6) Not sure what was going on between CeeDee, Prescott and McCarthy but it was truly bizarre and it was going on from the get-go. Like everything else with the game, it was another of those inexplicable things.

7) Major rebuild job coming for parts of the defense and maybe a couple spots on the OL. Guys like Jayron Kearse, Malik Hooker, Damone Clark and others have to be replaced or just gone. Some guys will obviously leave via free agency, but we need to have a good draft this year for certain and hope this years class (invisible) can step up next year.

8) After trashing the refs all week, I have to admit they had basically nothing to do with the outcome of the game. So kudos to them. And they actually called two holds on Parsons.

9) All kinds of awful yesterday but a few plays that stuck out to me 1) Prescott throwing a rookie type pick 6 into coverage 2) Prescott actually somehow completing a pass into quadruple coverage to Ferguson on a ball that no quality NFL QB would have tried to throw 3) Dallas defense allowing an NFL player to go uncovered 25-30 yards downfield for easiest TD a player could ever get, nobody fell down. Nobody on GB did anything illegal. This happened with the starters in the game in an NFL Playoff 4) End of game and didnt matter, but Prescott's career in one play- throwing into double coverage to Lamb when Jalen Tolbert was running scot free down the sideline for length of field TD. Prescott never even looked at him.

10) One of my friends texted during the game "is the BlackSox scandal but now it's Cowboys?". Thats how bad it was. It was so pathetic and baffling, somebody actually wondered if it was on purpose.

Another wasted season with a corp group of pretty talented players. They have to find someone that can come in here and instill confidence and toughness into them. They are soft mentally and physically and this has to change.

RogtaDru

Spectator
Reaction score
Wasted season is right.
You effectively highlighted all the problems and trying to get rid of that 3 headed monster at GM, HC and QB1 would be too much for us to accomplish in one offseason imo.

First, Jerry ain't firing himself.
Second, the 2 most likeable re treads at HC(Harbaugh & Belicheck) are both control freaks themselves so probably doubtful for Jerry to hire them anyway. And you could honestly say Hoodie aint really done shit since Brady left anyway so you could genuinely question if Belicheck has lost his fast ball.
Oh yeah, and Dak ain't Brady.

Then last, you add in the whole Dak contract and no trade clause and it seems like it's too much to overcome in one offseason for THIS owner/GM.

All the personnel and assistant coach deficiencies can be discussed until we're blue in the face but until there is REAL change at those 3 positions, it's never gonna change.

AND the most important position/ultimate decision maker ain't going nowhere.

So year 28 of Cowboy fandom reality/futility rolls on.

Top Bottom